Hawaii Hotels

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

Any suggestions for hotels/resorts to stay at on the Big Island and Kauai? I have read all the reviews on trip advisor etc. but wanted your personal opinions. We dont want to spend a TON but know that you usually pay a lot less for a reason!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Hawaii Hotels

We stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa Village on the Big Island. It's just north of the Kona airport. I loved it and we will definitely stay there the next time we go. There are a few restaurants there that are very good. I thought for sure that we wouldn't eat at the resort, but we were so exhausted some days that we were glad to have them.

There were definitely families there, but they were absolutely no bother at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

just curious--how did you book through am ex? do they have a travel agent service? (we have a amex credit card, but i don't know if that's related to anything...)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Hawaii Hotels

My mom and stepdad stayed at the Kiahuane (sp?) Bungalows on Kauai. It was steps from the beach. They loved it.
    The bungalow has a small kitchen so you can save money by going to the grocery store and cooking a few meals yourselves. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Hawaii Hotels

ooops... forgot to mention that was on the Big Island. Silly me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chased77. Show chased77's posts

Hawaii Hotels

We booked through Costco and got a great deal, plus some freebies like resort credits. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai, which was absolutely gorgeous. They have this man-made saltwater lagoon that is just awesome! The beach is not swimmable, so we spent all of our lounging time there.
    One the Big Island, we stayed at the Kona Village Resort. It is definitely not cheap, but it is the most amazing place. All your meals are included (but not drinks or tips) and the food is unbelievable. You get your own little thatched-roof hut, with no A/C, no tv, phone, internet, anything...it is the most beautiful and relaxing place I've ever been.
    Enjoy your honeymoon--both places are amazing!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

Volcano Hideaway cottages in Volcano Village are utterly charming and sweet--very clean and secluded feeling. I would recommend a night or two there if you want to hike the volcano. (It's not a great location for beaches or anything except for the Volcano.)
    http://volcanovillage.net/index.html

The other places I've stayed on those islands are large resorts (Hilton and Hyatt) which are predictably nice, and not inexpensive. If you are looking at large resorts, keep your eye out for ones that cater more to families vs. more to couples. If it were me, I might like a quieter spot for my honeymoon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

I've stayed at that Hilton Waikaloa Village on Hawaii :). It is nice. IT's a HUGE resort! The dolphin show is cool. I thought taking a boat/tram around the resort got a little old, but the distances aren't so bad as you might think, if you want to walk. And the hallways are lined with cool art. It is a very well manicured resort.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

Thanks all, we booked through american express and got a HUGE discount on our hotels. Cheaper than any deals on expedia etc. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Hawaii Hotels

I stayed at the Sheraton Kailua-Kona for a weeklong vacation, but that was about a couple of years ago. It is very pretty there, and the price was good too. The resort had a few really nice restaurants on site, and if you rent a car, you can easily venture off onto Alii Drive, where there are local/chain restaurants such as Hard Rock, etc. There are also a lot of great attractions/snorkelling sites near the resort such as Captain Hook's monument. The luau at the Sheraton is also the best amongst the different resorts. We went to three different ones. haha.

Oh and resort was about 1 hour and half away from the volcano national park (highly recommend visiting it!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Hawaii Hotels

no worries, I missed that when I went to the big island years ago. I want to go back so bad!

[Quote]oh.wow. I must have been really out of it then.

haha. yes, definitely Captain Cook's Monument. The coral reefs there are out of this world.[/Quote]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hawaii Hotels

[Quote]just curious--how did you book through am ex? do they have a travel agent service? (we have a amex credit card, but i don't know if that's related to anything...)[/Quote]

we have amex with delta miles..so i guess it is delta vacations through amex.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Hawaii Hotels

oh.wow. I must have been really out of it then.

haha. yes, definitely Captain Cook's Monument. The coral reefs there are out of this world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Hawaii Hotels

You mean Captain Cook, right? ;)

[Quote]I stayed at the Sheraton Kailua-Kona for a weeklong vacation, but that was about a couple of years ago. It is very pretty there, and the price was good too. The resort had a few really nice restaurants on site, and if you rent a car, you can easily venture off onto Alii Drive, where there are local/chain restaurants such as Hard Rock, etc. There are also a lot of great attractions/snorkelling sites near the resort such as Captain Hook's monument. The luau at the Sheraton is also the best amongst the different resorts. We went to three different ones. haha.

Oh and resort was about 1 hour and half away from the volcano national park (highly recommend visiting it!) [/Quote]