Holland/Paris Advice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Holland/Paris Advice?

Hey Everyone! DH and I are taking a long-overdue trip together which will serve as a quasi-honeymoon, as we didn't really take one (we went to Stowe for 2 nights)...we're flying into Dusseldorf and staying in Holland. We're going because DH's best friend is marrying a dutch girl, and they're having a civil ceremony there before doing an american wedding here in Louisiana in October. We'll be far away from Amsterdam, closer to the Germany side, and then we're going to take a trip to Paris for a few days, as apparently it's about a 4-5 hour drive from her house. I've never been to either place, and am looking for must do/see suggestions. We'll be going the 1st-2nd week of March (brrr!)...thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Holland/Paris Advice?

I haven’t been to Holland but I was in Paris about 5 years ago.  It was my first time (and only so far).  We did a lot of sight-seeing – mostly on our own.  We went to the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and The Arc de Triomphe, and had dinner and saw a show at The Moulin Rouge, which was a fun experience.  We did take a day trip with a group to Versailles and we had a crazy tour guide, but that just make it more memorable. 

My favorite things to do were all of our unplanned activities.  I had the best time just sitting in a café people watching, walking around looking at buildings, and taking cabs around the city and stopping whenever we saw something interesting.  We also tried to navigate the Paris Metro, which was an adventure in itself.  The shopping is great, but I had just graduated school and really didn’t have any money.  Everything seemed so expensive.   

HTH!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Thanks! DH looked up info on the Moulin Rouge dinner and show-it didn't seem too too expensive, did you feel it was worth the price? I'm so looking forward to going! We're not have-to-be-busy-all-the-time people, so I'm certainly looking forward to people watching and strolling around the city!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Is it possible to take the train to Paris?  You'll get there faster than if you drive.  A lot of the trains are high speed and the metro was great, once we got the hang of it.  You can spend an entire day (or several days) in the Louvre.  The place is huge.  I also liked the Musee d'Orsay and the Picasso Museum.  I wish I'd had time to tour Notre Dame. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Oh, we also took a day trip to Versailles. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I was 4 years old last time I was in the Netherlands, so I can't help there.  I have spent a few months in Paris though, so here's my advice.

Get the Rick Steves guidebook for Paris.  He writes the best guides to Europe.

I  love the Musee D'Orsay.  Beautiful Impressionist collection.  My favorite museum in the city.

Another performance option: Paris Opera is a breathtaking theater.  Sooo beautiful.  See an opera or a ballet there.  I've seen the Paris Opera Ballet perform there, and it was really really memorable.

Other advice: walk as much as you can.  Paris is a stunning walking city, and best enjoyed on foot.  Leave time for wandering.

A website to get you started:
    http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/france/france_menu.htm
    http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/france/parisitin.htm

I also love Giverny & Monet's house and gardens as a day trip, but that might be a little hectic to do if you are only there for a few days.  It is a beautiful bike from the train station, if the weather is nice.

...have fun!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Hi Katel - it was definitely worth it.  The food and wine alone was worth the price, and the show is unlike anything I have seen before (and I love theater!).

I would have LOVED to go to the opera or ballet.  We were only there for 3 days, so we didn't get to do everything we wanted, but I second Jasmine's advice - do as much walking as you can.  You will really get more out of your trip.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi katel,  I love Paris!!!  We went most recently in the fall of 2008.  What kinds of things are you two interested in? 
    The hotel we stayed at was pretty reasonable and right near Notre Dame, if you need a recommendation.  I think it was around $140 per night? Maybe less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Well, DH is a chef, so we're pretty into food! I also grew up on a marina and around boats, so we've read a few things about taking a quick boat cruise on the river...other than that, we're pretty laid back people willing to try anything! I'd love to go to the Louvre (I know it can't really be done in a day, but we'll try!)....other than that, we don't have any specific things that we MUST do...
    I would love the hotel recommendation,thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

I wouldn't reccommend wasting time on seeing gardens in early March.  There won't be much to see.  You won't have any problem filling up your time with seeing all the major sites like the Eiffel Tower, the L'Arc de Triumphe, the Louvre, Notre Dame, Montmarte, Sacre Couer.

Other places I reccommend: Musee de L'Orangerie, the Pompidou, Galeries Lafeyette (the most amazing department store ever...)

Definitely take the train if you can, traveling by train in Europe is so easy and fast and you won't need a car in Paris.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

A cruise on the Seine is just about the only thing we didn't end up doing!!  I would have liked to.

Definitely recommend a trip to Sacre Coeur (church)/Montmartre.  My husband was not excited about going to another church, but he loved it.  It's a cool church, the view is great, and if you climb to the top of the church it is even better.  Make sure you go around back and check out the artists and cafes in Montmartre.

You'd be surprised how much you can see at the Louvre in one day!!  Well, that is if there are entire rooms that don't interest you at all.  We didn't see it all, but felt that we saw everything we cared to.  We were SO exhausted that day.  Wear comfortable shoes!

Random fact - The Marmottan Museum doesn't allow you to take photos, even if you turn off the flash.  Maybe because it's a private museum.  I may or may not have snuck a few... or 10.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wish DH was here for Paris suggestions.
    We went to Amsterdam for our honeymoon, so I'm little help. We went mid-May and it was hot there! DH & I got a sunburn on the first day. The sun stayed out until about 10pm. It will be a little warmer there than it will be here.
    Eat sausage while you're there. It's way better than anything I've had here.