Honeymoon destination finally decided!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Honeymoon destination finally decided!

After a LOT of research, we settled on Costa Rica!  I'm so excited -- if anyone has been there or has any advice, send it my way :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Re: Honeymoon destination finally decided!

where exactly are you going?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I just got back from a two week trip there - it was the best vacation I have ever had :o)

We flew in to San Jose (stayed one night in a hotel nearby and picked up a car - small 4wd- the next day).  We then spent 5 days in Manuel Antonio and drove north and spent 4 days in the Arenal Volcano area, before driving back down to Alajuela for a night.

Let me know if you want ideas on things to see/do/stay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

We get into Liberia airport the morning of the 14th and fly out of San Jose the morning of the 23rd.  The flights aren't out of the same airport because it was the best option using frequent flier miles.  We were thinking of 3 nights in Guanacaste first just to relax, 3-4 in La Fortuna/Arenal (we are not really lay on the beach for a week types) and 1 or 2 at the Peace Lodge in Heredia.  Any insights you have Prill would be great!  I'm glad to hear you had such a good time.  Where did you stay in the Arenal area?  We are still deciding on hotels.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

When in the arenal area you have to go and visit the Tabacon Resort and Spa's hot springs.  Unbelievable!  When flying in to Liberia make sure you have transportation arranged it can be kind of sketchy there at night. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I posted a long message about Costa Rica on here a few weeks ago, if you care to find it.  It was advice from an acquaintance who went there on her honeymoon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Thanks for the advice!  We get into Liberia around noon then we are renting a car from Tricolor so thankfully we won't be in the area at night.  We'll do all of our driving from place to place while it is light out too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

You may have heard horror stories/been advised not to drive in CR - take that with a big rain of salt.  We got a small 4x4 and braced ourselves for the worst.  Okay, so the roads can be a little narrow and the locals do seem to ignore the two yellow stripes down the center of the road, but it really isn't that bad. 

There is certainly some bumpiness, especially around Arenal - on the road out to the volcano/national park/obervatory the 4x4 did come in handy, but really, the whole experience wasn't nearly as nightmarish as we had anticipated.

We had to change our plans at the very last minute due our flights being cancelled.  Initially we had booked the Hotel Linda Vista in Arenal, but ended up having to stay in Neuva Arenal (about 40 miutes away), as nothing else was available (it was peak time).   Do extensive searching on tripadvisor - that's how we found all our accommodation and generally, the reviews were pretty accurate.
    The town of La Fortuna is a bit grotty/touristy, so staying out of town a little - anywhere between La Fortuna and Neuva Arenal is recommended.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Thanks Prill!  That makes me feel a little better that you're driving experience went okay.  I did hear a lot of horror stories you're right! 

I am a big researcher so I definitely checked Tripadvisor, Conde Nast, Fodors and Frommer's forums.  I agree they were very helpful.  Thanks for the hotel suggestion too.  We actually just booked our hotels:  JW Marriott in Guanacaste to relax for a few days, then Arenal Nayara, and finally Finca Rosa Coffee Plantation & Inn near San Jose.  We really wanted to do Peace Lodge, but we just didn't have enough time.

Did you do any activities in Arenal?  Or are there any restaurants you recommend?