Honeymoon help/ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Honeymoon help/ideas

Hi!

I always wanted to go on a honeymoon to the Amalfi coast or the Greek isles (first choice would be Santorini), but from the little research I've done so far, they both seem relatively hard to get to and VERY expensive (like hotels for />$500/night and airfare />$800). Has anyone been to either place, and if so, is this right? I'm hoping that I'm just missing the reasonably priced options...  Alternately, has anyone done a Mediterranean cruise? Not sure if that would be too rushed to see anything.

If Amalfi or Greece prove to be too expensive, I was going for some kind of relaxing European HM - something where there is sightseeing but also somewhere to relax.  It will be in early September 2010, probably 7-10 days. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I kind of want to go everywhere! Smile

Sorry to add another question to this long post, but for people who have traveled to more than one place in Europe for their HM, do you think you had enough time in each place, or would you recommend just staying in one place?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Honeymoon help/ideas

We went to Amalfi on our honeymoon.  You DEFINITELY do NOT need to spend $500 per night on a hotel.  $800 might be the right ballpark for airfare, but I don't know for certain because we used frequent flier miles to buy our tickets.  You should definitely look at flying into Rome.  We took the train from Rome to Sorrento without a problem.

For the Amalfi coast, Sorrento is a fantastic place to stay.  It is a little less expensive than Capri, Amalfi or Positano, but it is totally charming and has great transportation connections.  We stayed in Sorrento for 4 nights, and then took the ferry or bus to make day trips to the other destinations.  Sorrento is nice because it has a cute touristy bustling downtown with tons of cute shops and restaurants.  It had more going on then Amalfi or Positano, which made gorgeous day trips but were pretty quiet sleepy towns.

I have been to Greece too, and Santorini is every bit as beautiful as people say.  I stayed on Crete though and did Santorini as a day trip.  Crete is cool too, but the city I was staying in was a bit less touristy/more busy.  Anyway, I don't know about hotel costs because my travel companion was there for work, which was subsidizing the hotel.  My sister did Greece on a tight budget this summer, but she stuck to hostels.  

Definitely get the Rick Steves guidebook if you do Italy.  He has great hotel recs (I cross-referenced them with tripadvisor) and many places we stayed offered discounts for mentioning his book.

We stayed here in Sorrento:
    ...we stuck to the Standard room and it was lovely.  They have a gorgeous pool garden and awesome breakfast.  I highly recommend the hotel, so let me know if you have questions about it.  It was the splurgiest place we stayed on our honeymoon, but was MUCH less than $500.  We got a special Rick Steves rate that was slightly below the rates advertised on their website.  There are even cheaper spots in Sorrento that also get great reviews.  I've heard raves for Il Nido, for example.

For a 7-10 day trip, I would probably pick 2-3 destinations that are within a reasonable train ride of each other (or ferry if you do the Greek isles).  We were in Italy for 14 days and did: Rome, Sorrento, Florence, Siena (1 night), Venice, Milan (1 night).  It was busy, but we planned really carefully in a lot of detail before we left, so it wasn't stressful.  We had a blast and stayed 2-4 nights each place, with the exceptions listed above.

good luck!  happy trip planning!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Thank you so much Jasmine! This is a HUGE help! It sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon! I think Sorrento just jumped to the top of my list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

No problem Epigal!  We loved Sorrento and the whole Amalfi Coast.  Let me know if you have any questions about it.  We can't wait to go back!

p.s. you might want to check out kayak.com for airfare, in addition to one of the usual suspects (orbitz, expedia)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm no expert, but I've been to Europe a few times and if you watch the airfare you might be able to get it for more like $500-600.  $800 sounds normal for airfare to Europe, but the high end.  Good luck and enjoy! :o)