Honeymoon Suggestion/Trip Review: Puerto Rico

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Honeymoon Suggestion/Trip Review: Puerto Rico

My husband and I spent a 4 nights in Puerto Rico last month, and I just wanted to say that I thought it would be a perfect honeymoon destination, particularly if time or cash were short.  The island is stunningly beautiful and super easy to get to.  (4 hour flight and you can be at a lovely resort within 10 minutes of disembarking from the plane.)  As long as you avoid the Christmas through New Years rush and Spring Break, the prices are very competitive.  Most of the island was offering a 4th night free promotion, and rooms at even luxury hotels were not exorbitant (e.g. Ritz Carlton from $200/night, and you could get the 4th night free deal to boot). 

Puerto Rico has a little bit of everything--gorgeous beaches, warm and breezy weather, hopping dance clubs, charming Spanish colonial architecture, lush rainforest, off-the-beaten track mangrove forest. 

...okay, that's all.  I hope this is helpful to someone.  I hadn't heard much about PR prior to our trip, but I'm so glad we went.  It was a truly restful vacation. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Honeymoon Suggestion/Trip Review: Puerto Rico

Jasmine - that sounds lovely!  DH and I have been wanting do to just a long-weekend trip somewhere warm this month or next.  I hadn't thought of PR - we may look into that!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yeah, I would absolutely recommend it!  It was the cheapest and easiest Caribbean island to get to when I was doing my research a few months ago.  Let me know if you guys are looking into it and have any questions.  :)

Here's a pic of the beach at the resort (on Isla Verde, which is in San Juan, very close to the airport).  The water was warm and lovely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Jasmine - was the resort all-inclusive?  Would you reccommend that one specifically for a honeymoon or others?  That picture is fabulous. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hi twinklie--It was not all-inclusive.  There are very few, if any, all-inclusives in Puerto Rico.  I didn't find any in my research.  We stayed at the Ritz Carlton San Juan.  I would absolutely recommend it to honeymooners, unless perhaps if your honeymoon coincides with a popular school holiday.  We went during the first week of December, and there were some families, but it wasn't overwhelmed by them in any way.  There was plenty of space for everyone.  

We didn't have any problems with food though, even if it wasn't all-inclusive.  The resort is in an urban area and there are a lot of restaurants, cafes, and convenience stores in walking distance, so you weren't stuck paying Ritz Carlton prices for every meal.  We ate a few meals at the resort, and they were absolutely decadent (worth the indulgence), and we strolled down the street at other times for some more affordable eats.  It worked out well.

Also, even though it is in an urban area, the resort property feels like an oasis.  The gardens and pool are lush and immaculate, and the beach is stunning.  If you look along the coast, you see other hotels and buildings, but if you look out to sea, there is just yellow sand and dazzling water and sunshine.  :)

We booked through cheapcaribbean.com which had good deals for our travel dates.

Let me know if you have other questions.  I hope this helps!