July/August Honeymoon...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

July/August Honeymoon...?

So I am planning on a July/August 2010 wedding due to my school schedule (part-time MBA).  I have always been a little traditional and imagined having a tropical island honeymoon a day or two right after the wedding.  I want to go for more than week, maybe 10 days, to make it feel extra special.  However - I always imagined getting married in the spring when it's a great time to escape New England weather and head to the Carribbean.  Now that I have to do a summer wedding, I'm not sure it will be as nice down there - too hot maybe?  Also, the FI isn't too psyched about going on a vacation in the summer and would rather wait and do the honeymoon in the fall or spring.  I'm afriad it won't feel like a honeymoon if we wait, just another vacation.  Plus - I'm not sure when I could be able to go for more than a week with school (I won't graduate until May 2011).  Thoughts???     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July/August Honeymoon...?

I think the Carribean is fairly constant in temp because of its proximity to the equator.  However, you can go to www.weather.com, type in any major city, and get the average temps by month for the whole year at a glance.

What you could do, although, not so traditional, I guess, is honeymoon somewhere locally at a B&B or something right after the wedding for a long weekend and then go away in the cooler/cold NE months for your "real" honeymoon.

P.S.  Summer being hot in New England is a function of its place on the Earth during that season.  Other places are not subject to the weather norms of our longitude and latitude.

P.S.S.  Sorry, didn't see the part about the vacation thing in the OP. Didn't read it that closely!  Denfinitely check out the average August temps around the world on weather.com.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I am one of those individuals that thinks the same way about taking a honeymoon right after the wedding.  I agree that if you wait it just seems like a vacation.
    What about Europe, Italy's southern coast is gorgeous and have some nice beaches.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I have been to St. Croix in July, and yes it is hot, but so is NE. And it doesn't matter it is your honeymoon!! Just think of it this way, in the fall/winter, it is the rainy season in the Caribbean, and you could risk rain. I don't think there is any problem going somehwere warm in the summer! Maybe a cruise?? You could do the Boston to Bermuda...or just do Bermuda, which is the perfect time to go down there, because Bermuda is cold and rainy in the fall and winter!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It's not  that it will be too hot in the summer in the Carribean, but it will be the rainy season. It's not continuous rain, but it will generally rain for periods every day.  It shouldn't affect your vacation, but it will affect the clarity of the water if scuba diving or snorkeling is something you were interested in.  What about a weekend getaway to the mountains and then taking a proper honeymoon in the fall or winter after the wedding?  If you make reservations for your honeymoon now, you won't 'not' take one.  As long as you approach it w/ the mindset 'this is our honeymoon', it won't be just another vacation, even if you wait to take it. 

My sister's DH felt the way you did - take it now or we won't do it.  They went to Disney. In August.  My sister is milk white and hates the heat.  They had fun, but would have had alot more fun had they waited to take their trip in the fall b/c they wouldn't have had to hide in their room during the hottest part ofthe day. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Ohh, I thought the rainy season was in the winter?? My bad. And I have been to Disney in August and it is HOT HOT HOT! Well Aruba is always a good choice because it never rains there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Ohh, I thought the rainy season was in the winter?? My bad. And I have been to Disney in August and it is HOT HOT HOT! Well Aruba is always a good choice because it never rains there.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Aruba IS always a great choice, but it did rain for a couple of hours about 3 of our 7 days there (and overnight a few nights).  It wasn't a show stopper, though, by far, and we can't wait to go again...someday!  Aruba is not an arid climate; there is lush foliage, and to my knowledge they don't do a lot of irrigation to get it that way.  The weather, including the rain, was perfect.  Our honeymoon was in November.

Every area's rainy, hot, cold or whatever season is different depending on where it is on the earth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Aruba is an arid climate and they don't have any lush foliage.  Plenty of divi trees and cactus.  It can rain there and pretty hard.
    I agree no matter where you go you always have the chance of "bad" weather and we all may think differently on that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

I have thought of doing a B&B type honeymoon somewhere around here for a few days after the wedding, which does sound nice.  I just don't know when I would be able to do the "real" honeymoon....my spring break in March 2011?  Then I would have to wait over 6 months and I'd still only have that one week to work with.  I guess my FI isn't only worried about the weather of where we go, but he feels like it isn't nice in New England for very long, so it doesn't make sense to leave during the time of year when it is nice!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Look at it as having a trip to look forward to for 6 months, rather than having to wait 6 months for your honeymoon.  There were a bunch of ladies on here a while ago who were  glad they waited to take their honeymoons [I think some were teachers] b/c they said they were so worn out after their weddings that they would not have been able to fully enjoy their honeymoons. When they went 6 months or so later, they were totally recovered and really enjoyed themselves. It also gave them more time to spend w/ OOT family who came to the wedding since they didn't immediately leave for their honeymoon.  Honestly, I'd rather have a trip in Feb to look forward to [esp w/ the stinky NE weather in Feb] than running off to the Carribean in August. I think I'd appreciate the sun and sand more in Feb.  :-) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I went to Aruba in March, the driest month of the year and it rained not once, but I have read that when it rains in Aruba it is usually at night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I'm a huge advocate for taking the honeymoon awhile after the wedding!  This was the only option for FI and I.  I felt that planning to leave for a trip right after the wedding was too much for me.  Also, FI makes significantly more money in the warmer months (wedding is in August), so we wanted to limit the amount of days he was taking off during that time.  We decided to take the honeymoon in October.  I think it's going to be nice to have something to look forward to once the excitement of the wedding wears off!

The only thing we promised each other is that we would BOOK the trip prior to the wedding.  We knew if we waited until after the wedding to book everything, we'd never do it.  Too cheap to spend more money.  LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

My friend got married in Oct 08 and still hasn't gone on her honeymoon. Her DH and her bought a house after the wedding and decided to invest money in the house instead of a trip. It really all depends on what a couple wants to do. There is no right answer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, you're right, allreadym, Aruba is arid, but it was awfully green. It wasn't my idea of "desert" which for me is essentially how Egypt looks on TV (which I know but forget sometimes is not the only arid landscape). Different areas of Aruba looked different (we drove across the island and then went on a horseback tour for 3 hours and saw a lot!), and it did rain quite a bit while we were there in Nov. Darn, I wish we could go back right now...I wonder when or if we ever will... Enjoy your honeymoons whenever you take them - it goes by way too fast!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

What about going to the Cape?