Mexico??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Mexico??

I wouldn't worry at all. I think it is being focused on because of spring break. All areas have crime and you need to use common sense. Many of the caribbean islands have similiar warnings including the riptide current.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Mexico??

I am going to Playa del Carmen, and I am not worried. I am a seasoned traveler, traveling with my husband (he will be then!) and I am not a spring breaker who drinks way too much and wanders around back alleys without a clue.
    It is all common sense, be aware of where you are, be safe and have fun.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Mexico??

We were just at Playa Del Carmen for 4 days. It is not bad at all if you stick to the resorts. We also visited Tulum as well as ventured off to 5th ave at night for some clubbing downtown PDC but didn't any any problems with crime/locals.
    The only thing that spooked me a little were the armed police men carrying big machine guns on the side of the highway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmjp20. Show cmjp20's posts

Mexico??

We are going. i was worried at first. My TA said if you were coming to the US from say, London, would you not go to Florida if there was all this crime in Caifornia. Kind of made my mind at ease.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Mexico??

Do you mean really bad as in it is not a nice place or really bad crime etc.
    I know a few people who have been since September and said it was nice and had a great time. On couple stayed in Playa del Carmen, one in Cancun area and one Maya Riveria. As all places there are nasty sections that are very run down and not a place I would want to venture in alone on a dark night. All the resort areas are very nice.
    I would never say this is the last place you would want to go for a honeymoon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy1821. Show judy1821's posts

Mexico??

thanks everyone for responding.. bride2b.. could you elaborate a little more? Im just worried abour crime.. not beauty..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bride2Bsoon. Show bride2Bsoon's posts

Mexico??

I am letting you know, just having family and friends just coming back from their. That they said it is really bad and probably the last place you would want to go for a honeymoon. There are a lot of nice cheaper places to go. I wouldn't do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy1821. Show judy1821's posts

Mexico??

Anyone going to mexico for their honeymoon and regretting the decision now due to the crime/kidnapping stuff thats in the news??
    Im booked to go to Playa del Carmen and I can't help but worry....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

Mexico??

Plus, if you are staying at an all inclusive resort, you won't even have to leave it so you won't have to worry about that. If you do leave the resort to go on an excursion, make sure it's guided and you sign up through your hotel for a legitimate company. HAVE FUN!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mexico??

Here is the US State Department's (no hype there) current Travel Alert regarding Mexico.

Mexico Travel Alert

P.S. Your comfort is a very personal thing. However, if it were me, and my plans were far from the US/Mexican border, I'd probably keep my plans in place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mexico??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Mexico??

Playa Del Carmen is fabulous. Go, have a great time, and don't worry about it. The crime won't be any worse than it is in 1,000 other tourist places around the world.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy1821. Show judy1821's posts

Re: Mexico??

well . .now im cancelling mexico for another reason :o( damn swine flu!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

When are you schedule to leave?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

First drug cartels, now swine flu...  :(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Well, FI and I are going to Mexico in June, and our honeymoon is still on. We dont have any plans to cancel unless the swine flue gets much worse and affects our region.

The flu is contained pretty much in Mexico City, which is VERY far from the Riveria Maya - between 1300 to 2000 miles away. Also, we arent flying into Mexico City and our flight is direct from Logan to Cancun.

We plan to stay on the resort, so we may cancel our scheduled Tulum trip, but we arent sure yet.

To us, it would be like cancelling a trip to Boston because of a flu in Denver Colorado (1800 miles away). To us, it is a safe enough distance, we have put a lot of thought and effort into this trip. However, if it gets worse, we may reconsider.

[QUOTE]well . .now im cancelling mexico for another reason :o( damn swine flu!!
    Posted by judy1821[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good perspective, beags!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

If you're going to a resort you'll be surrounded by other tourists, not by residential Mexicans who might have the flu. And I know if I have any kind of flu, I don't go to work.
    Just wash your hands, that's all.
    These people are dying because they're not getting proper care and hydration. You can die of any kind of flu if you don't get enough hydration.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Yes, I agree Pink! 
    Swine flu was just diagnosed in Texas. So, it is traveling. 
    I am hoping in 50 days, which is when I will be in Mexico, it is all over! 

[QUOTE]If you're going to a resort you'll be surrounded by other tourists, not by residential Mexicans who might have the flu. And I know if I have any kind of flu, I don't go to work. Just wash your hands, that's all. These people are dying because they're not getting proper care and hydration. You can die of any kind of flu if you don't get enough hydration.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I hope so too. DH turn on CNN 1st thing in the morning and if I have to wake up to swine flu one more time I'll scream! The reporting on it has been so irresposible, it just seems like fear-mongering.

[QUOTE]Yes, I agree Pink!  Swine flu was just diagnosed in Texas. So, it is traveling.  I am hoping in 50 days, which is when I will be in Mexico, it is all over! 
    Posted by ilovebeagles[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me, too!  I'm trying to convince DH that it's JUST THE FLU!  He's buying into the hype, and now that a toddler died it's worse.  It's tragic, of course, but the very young and old die from the zillions of flu strains we've always had floating around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

it's also treatable with traditional flu treatments that they administer in hospitals. People die because they wait too long to get treatment, or don't have proper care available.

[QUOTE]Me, too!  I'm trying to convince DH that it's JUST THE FLU!  He's buying into the hype, and now that a toddler died it's worse.  It's tragic, of course, but the very young and old die from the zillions of flu strains we've always had floating around.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

[QUOTE]I hope so too. DH turn on CNN 1st thing in the morning and if I have to wake up to swine flu one more time I'll scream! The reporting on it has been so irresposible, it just seems like fear-mongering.

I agree Pink!  It is good to remind people of precautions they should take (and should ALWAYS be taking), but the reporting it getting excessive and freaking people out.  My poor FI's biggest worry used to be whether or not his beard would grow back by the wedding & now he's in a tizzy thinking he'll have to wear a mask for the darn thing!
    Maybe I could lend him my extra veil... :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

they sell gas masks at the army surplus store in Downtown Crossing- the whole wedding party could wear them. Apocalypitic Chic you could call it! ;)

[QUOTE]I agree Pink!  It is good to remind people of precautions they should take (and should ALWAYS be taking), but the reporting it getting excessive and freaking people out.  My poor FI's biggest worry used to be whether or not his beard would grow back by the wedding & now he's in a tizzy thinking he'll have to wear a mask for the darn thing! Maybe I could lend him my extra veil... :)
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Haha, in all seriousness though, I gave my doctor a call yesterday for a prescription refill, and I mentioned to her about our honeymoon in Mexico and what we should do.

She offered to write me a prescription for the flu medication to take before we go, Zanamir (sp?). She also said she would write me a 2nd prescription to take with us, if we wanted.
    She did advise us to wear masks, the paper ones not the gas ones, lol, on the plane since the air on planes is absolutely disgusting.

Other than that, she just said to use our common sense in washing our hands and not to get sneezed on. If we do get sick, she said to stay put in the hotel, have them call their doctor. She said the likelihood of any illness actually being the swine flu is very unlikely. But, she said dont get on a plane to come home if we are sick, the altitude will make it worse and they wont let you through customs at this point anyways.

HTH!
    [QUOTE]they sell gas masks at the army surplus store in Downtown Crossing- the whole wedding party could wear them. Apocalypitic Chic you could call it! ;)