mini-moon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

mini-moon

My FI and I are not going on our HM until February because of work complications and we also thought it would be nice to escape the Boston winter and head to Aruba. But we would like to go away for 4-5 nights right after the wedding, which will be the last week of August. Any suggestions on where to go that is not in New England?

I am up for anything. Beach, lake, city...anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Re: mini-moon

What about the Catskills or Niagra Falls, maybe Armish country.  I have heard great things about North Carolina as well.  Montreal is great!!  Good food, shopping, hiking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, since your honeymoon will be a relaxing beach trip (YAY, ARUBA!!!), how about a hiking one for right after the wedding?  Adrenaline is good for bonding...I watched that on a show about the science of attraction.  Not that you'll NEED it.  ;)

Colarado, California?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Hehe, Kar!!

Well, too funny that you both mentioned two places we have thought about. Quebec City or maybe Jackson Hole or California.

There are so many places....ahh!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Calfornia, Newport Beach is great as well as wine country.  Spa's and wine can't go wrong.  But long flight for a few days.  Although I have done it and it can be done:)  Jackson Hole only been skiing but have a friend who went in the summer and had a blast. Again long flight and usually have a layover.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Let me ease your mind - you can't pick a wrong place.  When you first get married, you could go to Siberia together and have the best time ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I would avoid CA if you're going hiking in August.  Unless you find dehydration, cotton mouth, heat rash, and copious sweating to be extremely romantic.

You could go to Lake Tahoe, though.  Just know that the Nevada side is much better.  And it's probably still too hot to go hiking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Northern California would be nice, I think. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

It's not, Kar.  I grew up in Northern CA.  It's actually worse than Southern CA, because we've got the temperatures over 100 (closer to 115 in August), but we don't get the Santa Ana winds cooling things off.  It's wretched for most of May and June, and all of July and August.  You'd probably be OK near mountains, but steer clear of the valley - the air is unbreathable, and you have to stay inside.

San Francisco is OK, though.  After all, as Mark Twain said, the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.  Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

If you do want some beach time, we had a lot of fun in Myrtle Beach!  They have *gorgeous* beaches, fun restaurants, etc.  We went for 4 days in May a few years ago for my birthday and had a great time!  Not too far either.

Florida/Disney is always good too!

PS.  We're actually planning to do the same as you, Peonie.  We're hoping to do a local trip (probably Cape Cod) right after the wedding (why leave MA in August when the weather is beautiful?) then hopefully Hawaii in Feb (if we can afford it!).

PS again:  we visited San Francisco in summer and LOVED it.  Such a fun city!!  And the weather was comfortable, like 75 and not too humid.  Not hot, but not too cold either!  I love SF!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I forgot to mention that, every summer, half of California catches fire (because it only rains once every seven years or so).  So, steer clear of Humboldt county unless you enjoy getting high.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

If you want something different than the beach honeymoon you'll be taking, you could go for a city - I second Montreal/Quebec... NYC might be fun, but might be hot and smelly...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I'm going to be totally honest, I'm not huge into hiking. We are more into great restaurants, nightlife (not staying out till 3am nightlife, but nice bars), seeing new cities, staying in nice hotels, etc.

I am starting to think the Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City would be fun for 4 nights!

Trex, my exact mindset, I would love to hold off on the "real" honeymoon until the winter.

LOL Lucy, you serioulsy crack me up! Is it me, or am I the only one who has no interest in CA?? My FI is dying to go there for some reason?! Am I a bad person for this!?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

For restaurants, nightlife and cool cities: DC, Charlotte or New Orleans.  Of course, if you are set on going the last week of August, none of these will work unless you like heat and humidity.  Canada or San Diego would then be your best bets.  GL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, lucy, come to think of it, I've been in San Fran in July and been cold at night, needing a sweater/sweatshirt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Chicago and NY also both have restaurants and nightlife and are pretty cool.  But you have the weather issue - hot and humid.  I vote for Canada.  Or maybe Portland or Seattle?  The Pacific Northwest will be cool and pretty.

You're not a bad person for not wanting to go to CA.  Honestly, SF is probably worth it in the summer.  San Diego or LA might be worth a visit in the spring or fall.  There's sightseeing, Disneyland, affordable baseball tickets, good food, etc., etc.  I mean, who doesn't want to see the hotel where Pretty Woman was filmed?

Also, despite living less than 100 miles away for 27 years, I've never been to Napa, and I still really want to see it.  That might have been a good thing to try before I moved here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Has anyone been to Savannah? I went once about 4 years ago for one day while I was vacationing with my parents on Amelia Island in FL. I loved it there. Do you think there would be enough to do for four days?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Peoni - we did the same thing.  Honeymoon in Feb when the weather here was intolerable.  In May, why leave?  But I did promise DH a trip to Vegas when he was done with treatment, whic coincided with wedding mayhem.  What a mistake!  I would just suggest, even if you love nightlife, not going somewhere too "lively" right after the wedding.  We would've loved to just veg out and unwind a little, but it's hard to do that somewhere so busy.
    Just sayin...
    Enjoy, wherever you end up going!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Quebec City/Montreal would be fun!  If you want to work in the lake thing, you could probably spend a night or two in the Mont Tremblant area.  My family did a couple summer vacations there when I was a kid--it's a beautiful area with mountains and lakes.  Fun boating and swimming and stuff. 

Never been to Savannah.  I'll bet it's hot in August though!

I would love to do San Francisco and N. California wine country as a vacation at some point.  Sounds like fun!

My husband was convinced he had no interest in a SoCal vacation until we went there recently for a wedding.  He came around quickly.  San Diego/La Jolla is beautiful, and there are a lot of fun things to do.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Can I ask why you want to do such a long mini-moon out of state? While I understand that you want to get away just the two of you after the wedding, i was always under the impression that a mini moon was a shorter vacation (like long weekend) somewhere closer and then the honeymoon was a the bigger vacation. Escaping to Aruba in February does sound fabulous though :-).

But as far as a suggestion-Williamsburg, VA. There's historical stuff to check out (if that's your thing), Bush Gardens and other stuff to check out. No idea what the temp would be like in August though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Northern, I wondered this, too.  It sounds like they are just having two full honeymoons, one domestic, one international - how awesome is that?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Well, not really. 3-4-5 days is not really that long. We just want to get away for a few days after the wedding, but want to save Aruba, which will be 2 weeks long, for the winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

ahh, didn't know Aruba was two weeks. I wrongly assumed since you were a teacher it was only one week.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Northern, I am going to take my Feb vacation, and then take an extra week and have a sub. Never, ever done it before!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Man, I wish I could call in a sub to do my job.  Maybe I should have been a teacher.  If only I had an iota of patience, any ability whatsoever to explain things, and a tolerance for children.  Undecided

Either way, I'm jealous.  I heart beachy goodness in February.

You could also just go to Atlantic City for a few days.  I know T said that Vegas was too hectic, but I feel like AC isn't as bad.  Also, I am a champion vegger, and I managed to spend nearly an entire day in Vegas in my hotel room watching TV and eating room service, relaxing.  So, it can be done.

Sections
Shortcuts