mini-moon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: mini-moon

haha Lucy! We are going to Vegas in October for 3 days to see Kevin James. Yes, we travel a lot, but my FI works his butt off and deserves it. Guilty as charged. But we got an INSANE deal at the Mirage, and I mean INSANE. 3 nights/2 tix to Kevin James/2 tix to Love all for $500.

And I know you can get cheapo flights out there. We are going from Fri-Mon. Now the only thing I am a little scared of is that we will be there on Halloween....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

My husband I and travel a lot as well and a lot of folks give us a hard time.
    If you can do it why not is how I look at it.  I personally would not stay local for your "mini moon" as I don't view that as anything really special.  Go have fun and no need to explain to anyone what you are doing.  I don't think the definition of "mini moon" is to stay local either.  It is what every you want it to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Thank you Allready! I don't feel the need to explain to anyone, either. We love traveling, and plan on getting as much as we can in until we have kids (which won't be for at least 5 years), so lot's more traveling to look forward to! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I am usually planning my next vacation on the plane ride to our current vacation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I wish we had the money (and time!) to take lots of vacations!  If you can afford it, go for it!  Memories give you more happiness than material possesions anyway.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm with you allready!  We like to travel and people like to comment on it.  Listen, if I don't comment on your spending money on a brand new car, how about you don't comment on my spending money on a vacation?
    And I am going to do my darndest to keep up the traveling once we have kids!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Yeah, I am a huge fan of travel.  I'd rather spend my money on that than fancy designer clothes that will go out of style in two months (not that there's anything wrong with spending a lot of money on clothes).

ETA:  Peonie, at this moment, I'm planning a trip to D.C. in June, a trip home over the summer, a trip to Phoenix for Thanksgiving, a trip to upstate NY next April, and a trip to Ireland the following summer.  I don't begrudge you your travel at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

In Response to Re: mini-moon:
    I am usually planning my next vacation on the plane ride to our current vacation.
    Posted by allreadymarried

you're good, i don't start until the flight back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Well I usually have a travel magazine with me on the plane with a world of opportunites staring me in the face:0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Oh man Allready, I buy travel magazines at the airport to read on the plane to my current destination!!!
    Lucy GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! You work damn hard, so you deserve it.
    And Fram, good for you as well. Traveling with kids will be hard(er) than traveling as a couple, but it doesn't mean you can't still have the same luxuries!
    Trex, I hope you get to your honeymoon in Hawaii! You deserve it :)

Sorry, that was too many exclamations points....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, Peonie, trips to visit the family aren't really all that relaxing.  I'm not sure I "deserve" the stress of having to deal with my mother.  ;)

But thank you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirtyminds. Show dirtyminds's posts

If I was going away for only going away for 3-4-5 days and I was trying to save money for a an even better trip.. then I wouldn't want to spend a day or two traveling.  I love to travel, but I hate the Bos-California flight.

Where ever you go, depends kind on how much you want to spend and how long you want to go for. You also need to consider what the weather is for that region in late August, you don't want to get there and find out its the start of the hurricane season. Before you fall in love with any idea, visit a travel agent - you could probably find some all inclusive deals as well as great ideas.

Personally, I would just fly to Nantucket and stay some place pretty exclusive

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Belhurst in Geneva NY  is a great place to honeymoon / minimoon, any of the 3 places, has a winery, is on the Lake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Was anyone giving Peonie a hard time? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IsabelArcher. Show IsabelArcher's posts

End of August--don't go southeast, way too humid and suffocatingly sultry. 
     I would do coastal Maine, RI, or Conn, but since you don't want New England, I suggest a cruise to Nova Scotia and Canadian Maritimes. 
    I like the Montreal idea too.  Quick plane ride. 
    Congrats and have fun!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Honestly, Peonie, trips to visit the family aren't really all that relaxing.  I'm not sure I "deserve" the stress of having to deal with my mother.  ;) But thank you.
    Posted by lucy7368

I *completely* agree with this.  My family lives in Florida and I try to visit 1-2 times a year.  Everyone says "have a nice vacation!".  But visiting my family is not a vacation.  We literally do *nothing* and it is often stressful to spend time with my family.  It can be fun, but definitely not a vacation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree, Trex and Lucy. It truly depends on the family relationship.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Lake George.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I second the pacific NW - Seattle, British Columbia (Victoria and Vancouver are wonderful), the San Juan Islands. They have a tour company that also runs the big ferry boats (I forget the name) and it was really affordable to book ferries, hotels and everything through them. It's not too hot that time of year, absolutely gorgeous, and there's PLENTY to do, whether you want shopping, nightlife, nature, relaxation, or anything! And JetBlue flies direct there for pretty reasonable rates.

Anything in the southern US will be humid and miserable in August. What about Nova Scotia? Is there still that ferry boat that leaves from Maine? That could be a fun short trip.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ooh!  Take a cruise to Alaska!  I love cruising.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

Trex, I second the suggestion about Belhurst Castle in Geneva, NY.  It's set in a beautiful area, is right on the lake.  That part of the Finger Lakes is usually cooler due to the wind off the Lake.  I went to college in the area and that's where a group of us and our parents had dinner graduation evening.

We only llive about an hour from Lake George.  Think "downtown"  Lake George is pretty tacky.  There is a beautiful venue, the Sagamore, but it is fairly pricey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

What about Nova Scotia? Is there still that ferry boat that leaves from Maine? Posted by Epigal

Unfortunately all of the ferries from the US to Nova Scotia have been cancelled.  The closest ferry leaves from Saint John, NB.

We were planning on this trip for our honeymoon in October, but with the extra travel time to NB, I'm not sure if we will have enough time.

Sections
Shortcuts