Montreal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Montreal?

Hi everyone! 
    Any tips for fun things to do in Montreal?  We like all kinds of things - from museums to sports.  Maybe we can catch a hockey game!  Time to check the Bruins' schedule...  How about nice/affordable hotels? 
    I'm turning 30 pretty soon, but I'll be hugely pregnant by then, so I'm hoping to take a long weekend in December instead.  I'd love to go to the Caribbean and relax on a beach, but the practical side of me is saying we could spend half as much if we go to Montreal.
    Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Re: Montreal?

What a great idea!  We went there for our engagement (although I didnt' know at the time) and had a great time.  Mostly we strolled the streets, shopping and eating at new spots.  We also went to the Botanical Gardens which were beautiful! - although I don't know what is open in the winter.  Now that I think about it, a lot of what we did was outdoors because it was the summer, but I'm sure there is plenty to do inside!  A hockey game sounds good to me. 

I'm curious to know how it goes.  I will also be hugely pregnant when I turn 30 and while I'd love to escape somewhere warm, I don't think I can fly at 37 weeks :) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Montreal?:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone!  Any tips for fun things to do in Montreal?  We like all kinds of things - from museums to sports.  Maybe we can catch a hockey game!  Time to check the Bruins' schedule...  How about nice/affordable hotels?  I'm turning 30 pretty soon, but I'll be hugely pregnant by then, so I'm hoping to take a long weekend in December instead.  I'd love to go to the Caribbean and relax on a beach, but the practical side of me is saying we could spend half as much if we go to Montreal. Thanks in advance!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

You will not be able to get a seat at a hockey game in Montreal, chances are. Canadians are serious about hockey. As soon as tickets go on sale all seats are snapped up for the entire season. Unlike Boston where its at most 2/3rd full at best. 
    However, you did mention going in December. Be aware that its cold in Montreal (can get down to -40oC in the thick of winter, but much warmer in December usually). A shame you will be preagnant as you could go outdoor ice-skating, of which there are many places including the romantic "old port" section of town. Just bring your own skates (or you can rent too). If you go to the "Fetes des Neiges" (although might be Jan or Feb) they also have husky sledding (on an island just of Montreal, reachable by metro). Again, they have free outdoor iceskating and loads of fun things to do. 
    However, eating and drinking are HUGE in Montreal. Go to St-Denis street, St-Laurent street, or Prince Arthur for fantastic resto-bars. 
    Your problem is that most of the fun festivals (jazz fest, comedy fest, etc) are in the summer. 
    Obviously there is the shopping in the "Underground City" (many malls all connected together via tunnels so you can shop for DAYS without ever going into the bitter cold outside. They also connect to the metro so you can zoom straight back to your hotel too! 
    Any more questions just ask. I lived there for a while. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you both very much!

Bostonslp - I will also be 37 weeks on my 30th birthday!! 

Plasko - Is there a certain area/neighborhood where I should look for a hotel?

I intended to plan this Montreal trip in September when it would be warmer, but never got around to it, so winter it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal?:
    [QUOTE]Thank you both very much! Bostonslp - I will also be 37 weeks on my 30th birthday!!  Plasko - Is there a certain area/neighborhood where I should look for a hotel? I intended to plan this Montreal trip in September when it would be warmer, but never got around to it, so winter it is.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what you want to do and how active you are. If you want everything around you then get a hotel downtown (there are tons of them). I found that most Americans, for some wierd reason, always ended up on Rue Crescent for some reason. But the metro can take you anywhere pretty-much so it does not matter too much where you are based. But downtown is where it all happens at night (and day too if you shop). Also there is McGill nearby, and "the mountain" right next to downtown that you can climb for spectacular views overlooking the city. Its not really a mountain, consider it more like central park in NYC, with a hill in the middle. Its a very short jaunt from downtown core to the old port. If you like indoor things in winter you can see if cirque-de-soleil is doing anything (Montreal is their home-base). 
    Ofcourse there was recently a siting of aliens in Montreal so maybe you will bump into some of these :)
    Ofcourse, being Canada there is virtually no crime aside from the occasional hockey-riot. You might like to brush-up on your french aswell, but 99% of people can speak english too within the city itself. Its a very metropolitan bilingual place. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks again!  Cirque du Soleil is a good idea.  Something we've been wanting to do.
    I'm actually fluent in French... OK that is a lie; I used to be fluent in French, but now I'm rusty :o)