New England Honeymoon Suggestions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from giannina68. Show giannina68's posts

New England Honeymoon Suggestions?

My fiancee and I are getting married in July but due to low funds, we are considering taking a New England honeymoon.  Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for a nice mixture of relaxation and fun outdoor activities.

thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: New England Honeymoon Suggestions?

I have always been a huge fan of Newport, RI. It is beautiful down there. They have beaches, gorgeous scenery, awesome nightlife, great restaurants, beautiful old mansions you can tour, etc etc etc....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Millinocket in northern ME (about 5 hour drive from Boston).  The town itself is a little run down (formerly a paper mill town, that has now shut).  But, some really cute B&Bs and some great action/water sports.  White water rafting, canoeing, hiking, moose spotting tours.  It really is a great place to get away from it all, but still be active.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Check out Bar Harbor, Maine.  There are affordable places to stay, and you can bike/hike through Acadia National Park.  There is also plenty to do w/ boating [canoe, kayak, larger boats] and fishing.  We are actually doing this next week. :-)  We've been before and it's a fun time. There are plenty of nice places to eat too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I love the B&Bs in North Conway NH. It's in the White Mountains, so there's endless hiking, scenic railroad tours, and fly-fishing.
    If you'd prefer a sea-shore place, Rocky Neck artist colony in Gloucester is pretty, as well as Newburyport.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]I love the B&Bs in North Conway NH. It's in the White Mountains, so there's endless hiking, scenic railroad tours, and fly-fishing. If you'd prefer a sea-shore place, Rocky Neck artist colony in Gloucester is pretty, as well as Newburyport.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

I second Gloucester. The Blue Shutters Inn gets really good reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com/. It is located right across the street from Good Harbor Beach, which is beautiful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I LOVE Portsmouth NH.  They have a few hotels and B&Bs right downtown, but  if you stay just ouside in Rye, it is a bit more quiet.  Downtown is so cute and has a lot of great restaurants.  Plus you are close to beaches and all types of outdoor activities. 

On a side note, the most recent Brides magazine just had an article about this (places in the continental US) and they listed a bunch of Inns and B&Bs in New England.  They looked like a lot of fun! 
    Good Luck! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I second Portsmouth, NH.  Not exactly a secluded spot, but I just love it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from giannina68. Show giannina68's posts

thanks so much for your suggestions, I will def look into them!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

Martha's Vineyard? Cape?

weneedavacation.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

York Beach, Maine is great too!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 91909Bride. Show 91909Bride's posts

[QUOTE]I love the B&Bs in North Conway NH. It's in the White Mountains, so there's endless hiking, scenic railroad tours, and fly-fishing. If you'd prefer a sea-shore place, Rocky Neck artist colony in Gloucester is pretty, as well as Newburyport.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

I second Conway, NH...my parents have a 2nd home up there on Conway Lake, and there is so much to do!  The outlets are AMAZING if you like shopping, there are a TON of great restaurants (most of them at the Inns, I can give some recommendations if you want) and you can never go wrong in July, there is always something to do!  Plus, I am pretty sure you can get vacation rentals and get a whole house right on the lakes for pretty cheap! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]York Beach, Maine is great too!
    Posted by tomarra[/QUOTE]

My parents have a house in York Beach, and while it's beautiful, I find there isn't much to do there. The FI only go up for about 3-4 days in the summer and then we get bored. The beach is nice, but you have venture off to other parts to find things to do, IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarah4532. Show sarah4532's posts

I enjoy North Conway myself- My Fiance and I stay in Freyburg, ME about 10 minutes (if that) from N. Conway at a B&B called the Peace With Inn. It is absolutely lovely and I would recommend it to everyone. It's just far enough away to be peaceful but close enough so you don't have a long drive to downtown.

For our honeymoon we are staying local as well- We are seriously considering The White House Inn in Wilmington VT. It's in southern Vermont and it's about a 3 hour drive from the North Shore. The Vermont Bowl company is there which I am so excited about! There isn't much of anything else excpet for a few farms and parks (which is just fine with us) but they are one of the few B&Bs that I have found that offer a honeymoon package (that isn't outrageous).

Good Luck on your hunt giannina!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

How about Portland, Maine?  There are plenty of things to do both to relax and have fun outdoors.  Great spas for massages and pampering (try the Nine Stones Spa), gourmet places to eat where you can sit back and people watch while eating amazing food, some night life so you can celebrate, romantic things to do like taking a sail on a schooner and plenty of outdoor activities kayaking, bike paths and of course the beach.  Good luck with your planning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Hey Giannina,
    We got married last August and took a 3 night 2 day trip to Stowe, VT. It was great. There were not a ton of people there, but enough...there are lots of great restaurants, shops, and outdoor stuff to do. We stayed at a small hotel that was a a gift, but one day we went to one of the super fancy resorts to do some spa stuff and eat lunch. It was great! The drive wasn't bad (3.5 hours, I think), and all in all we had a great time. Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

These are all great places!!  I've been to all of them except Millinocket and Stowe, but I've heard other great things about them, too.  You can't go wrong with any of these suggestions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from frodocat. Show frodocat's posts

Thirty years ago, we honeymooned in Woodstock, Vermont.

Great restaurants, hikes, and antique shops!
    Brought us GOOD LUCK!!

Best Wishes!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from C9dP. Show C9dP's posts

Stowe which was mentioned would be lovely in July, if you're thinking Maine and want outdoor activity and relaxation consider the Blue Hill peninsula and Deer Isle (just south of Bar Harbor) or the Pemaquid peninsula. Google Maine tourism and you'll be able to grab lots of info on that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I LOVE N. Conway & Jackson in the White Mountains.  Highly recommend!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

You could rent a house on one of islands in Maine.  You'll have your privacy, there is plenty to do outdoors, beautiful sunsets and you can usually see the Milky Way on clear nights.    http://www.islandvacationrentals.biz/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Mystic CT is really nice too- DH and I spent a weekend there a while back. Very pretty- there are some museums, the aquarium, probably beaches too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I *love* Cape Cod (we're going for a weekend trip in 2 weeks!  Yay!).  There is so much to do!  We usually try to stay around Brewster which is pretty central.  My favorite things:

* Cape Cod Rail Trail:  the bike path is beautiful!  We rented bikes and spent the whole day riding.  So much fun!

* Beaches, obviously!  There are tons in every direction! 

* Provincetown:  great people watching, tons of cute shops and restaurants.  We did a sunset sailboat trip last summer and it was great.  The drive to Provincetown is really pretty also with lots of beaches to stop at along the way.  Another of my favorite things:  if you keep driving on Route 6 all the way to the end (actually past Provincetown) you come to a beach that actually faces West.  That is also a beautiful place to watch the sunset.

* Chatham:  some friends stayed in a B&B here after their wedding.  I think it was the Chatham Queen Anne Inn (www.queenanneinn.com).  They loved it!

You can also take a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, which is also a lot of fun! Congrats!

PS.  Another place that is supposed to be really nice is Ogunquit, ME.  I haven't been there yet, but I have a friend who loves it!  I also *love* Newport RI.  We stayed in a B&B there a few years ago and had a blast.  Great restaurants (good for foodies), beaches and the cliff walk is really beautiful.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

These are all really great suggestions.  Good luck picking one!!!

Just to throw a few more into the mix, there are some places I love up north and think would be great honeymoon spots:

The Snowflake Inn in Jackson, NH.  (This was my boyfriend and my first getaway site when we were newly dating, so it has sentimental value for me.  It's the cutest place EVER and the people who run it are super accommodating. http://www.thesnowflakeinn.com/)

The White Moutain Hotel in North Conway, NH.  (This place is gorgeous!  Definitely more upscale than Snowflake if that's what you're going for. http://www.whitemountainhotel.com/)

The Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME (It's gorgeous, right on the water, and has a spa! http://www.cliffhousemaine.com/)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

In Response to Re: New England Honeymoon Suggestions?:
    [QUOTE]These are all really great suggestions.  Good luck picking one!!! Just to throw a few more into the mix, there are some places I love up north and think would be great honeymoon spots: The Snowflake Inn in Jackson, NH.  (This was my boyfriend and my first getaway site when we were newly dating, so it has sentimental value for me.  It's the cutest place EVER and the people who run it are super accommodating. http://www.thesnowflakeinn.com/ ) The White Moutain Hotel in North Conway, NH.  (This place is gorgeous!  Definitely more upscale than Snowflake if that's what you're going for. http://www.whitemountainhotel.com/ ) The Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME (It's gorgeous, right on the water, and has a spa! http://www.cliffhousemaine.com/ )
    Posted by FriarGirl03[/QUOTE]

I got married in Jackson at the little white church and my reception was at the White Mountain Hotel so I recommend anywhere in Jackson (heard the Christmas Farm Inn is supposed to be amazing!) and the WMH is just wonderful with amazing food.  I love it up there so I would recommend that. Plus the mtns are so kid friendly.  For a mini-honeymoon my dh and I went to Bar Harbor which has already been mentioned - it was so much fun. 
    One place yet to be mentioned is the Berkshires or what about the Lakes Region in NY not New England but still relatively close.