Newport, RI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caringteacher. Show caringteacher's posts

Newport, RI

Hello. Since I'm a teacher, I can't take a full honeymoon in October, so we're going to go to Newport, R.I. for a few days (Hawaii in June). If you've been to Newport, R.I. and you have any recommendations for activities, restaurants, hot spots, etc., please share! Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxygirl123. Show soxygirl123's posts

Re: Newport, RI

Newport is lovely in October! Not sure if you need a hotel, but the Viking is lovely. Scales & Shells is a great seafood place on Thames St. There is a restaurant/pub called the White Horse Tavern (I’ve never eaten there, but have gone for drinks), its claim to fame is it's the oldest tavern in the country -- just darling. Bouchard Restaurant (also on Thames) gets great reviews on yelp, I tried to go over the summer but couldn’t get in. For casual dining: Brick Ally Pub (best mudslides ever!). Mansion tours, cliff walk, a ride through the harbor (a group of us did a “booze cruise” w/ Rum Runner, it was actually really nice, they had wine/beer & we did a 60 minute tour, (it wasn’t the obnoxious booze cruise I was expecting) & you can bring whatever you want (champagne, snacks, etc). There is also a small winery just outside Newport but I forget the name, tennis hall of fame, lots of shopping, etc. have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

http://www.newportdinnertrain.com/

That is the link to the old train they have running there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from somerville-247. Show somerville-247's posts

As someone else said, the mansion tours are wonderful. My favorite, and really I think everyone's favorite, is The Breakers, followed closely behind by Marble House. If you want fine dining, There's the Spiced Pear, which has mixed reviews on yelp-best to make a reservation to avoid problems people seem to have getting a table, as the good reviews are many and enthusiastic. My friends highly recommend this place for cocktails and appetizers. Are either of you history buffs? I don't have my many books on the subject at the moment, but you may want to look into venturing to the mainland towns of Bristol and Warren, which are right over the Mount Hope Bridge (not a toll bridge as far as I know). King phillip's war took place there and I think you can hike (easy hikes, ri is not known for its hills) to the very spot king Phillip lived. I know there's plenty of history and architecture in Newport, but don't count out Bristol if you are interested in either as it's only a short drive away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from somerville-247. Show somerville-247's posts

Oh and the winery mentioned is Sakonnet vineyards, it's in tiverton. Gorgeous spot and I think wine tastings are $10 and you get to keep the glass. There's a sandwich shop on site but you can also bring a picnic with you.

Sections
Shortcuts