OT - Benzoyl Peroxide + Sun =???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, I did that, too - we always had an umbrella in Aruba. DH spent a little time next to me in the sun, but mostly shared the shade. I scared him to death about getting sun poisoning before we went. It worked, we didn't get burned. Between the sunscreen, hat, and umbrella, my face didn't see any sun. I wore my hate in the water, too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi ladies,

I am currently using a prescription acne lotion with 5% benzoyl peroxide and anti-biotics. I do have a follow-up appointment with my derma before the wedding, but I thought I would ask you ladies for your experiences.

What is likely to happen when we go on our honeymoon? I don't usually burn unless exposed to the sun for looong periods of time. Does the prescription make me more likely to burn? Will my tan be all splotchy where I apply the lotion? (shoulders, back, spot treatment on face and chest)

I know what the drug warnings say, but actual experience is always better. Sometimes they overdo the warnings.

Thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

fram, here is a very similar hat on qvc to the one I bought that they don't carry anymore:

UPF 50 wide brimmed hat

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Actuallty, benzo also increases your skin's sensitivity to the sun, so you're dealing with a double whammy.

[Quote]It's the anti-biotics, not the benzo, that is the problem. It amplifies the effects of the sun and causes you to burn more easily. I've always been careful to heed the warning so no super burn story to share, but this one's for real.

Antibiotics also decrease the effacy of birth control pills, too, by the way - that's real, too.[/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Honestly, its not that huge of a deal. Put the benzo on at night, NOT just before you go out in the sun.

Wear sunscreen. Anything over 15 is pretty much the same (think spf 25, 30, 50)

You will be fine. Don't worry!

I use benzo every night, and used to be on a prescription from the doctor. no probs. just dont go lay in the sun with baby oil =)

FYI - Birth control also can cause the same problems as the skin meds. If you are on bc and are fine in the sun, you will be fine with the benzo too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Fram, when I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, I sat under a giant umbrella the whole time. Worked like a charm. :)

My best friend sat three feet away from me - safely outside the reach of the scary shade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my - if that's the case, I'd consider not taking it on my sunny honeymoon if it were me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Tans are sooo 2005, pale is in!
    A model presents a fierce, and warm, look at the J. Mendel Fall 2009 fashion show.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

This is such a catch 22!!! If I try stopping the prescription, I might break out. If I don't, it complicates my honeymoon. Oh well, I will certainly live.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It will make you more likely to burn, So be sure to use an SPF of 30 or more on wherever you use it, and reapply every hour. Be religious about it. It's not healthy to tan at all these days. If you want a golden glow, hit the bottle or the spray booth.
    As to blotchy-ness, this can occur but it depends on your complexion, but if you only are using a 5% I doubt you'll experience it. I use 10% and don't experience bloth, but I'm very fair.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Well, benzoyl peroxide is a topical anti-biotic, so it only makes sense.

[Quote]Oh, my - if that's the case, I'd consider not taking it on my sunny honeymoon if it were me.[/Quote]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Fra - this is one medication advice that you really should heed. As others have said, the meds + the benzo are a double whammy and you will not only burn much more quickly, but it can also blister before coming flaky. Sit in the shade (with a cocktail) and invest in a good wrap and fabulous hat (think Audrey Hepburn-esque!).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's the anti-biotics, not the benzo, that is the problem. It amplifies the effects of the sun and causes you to burn more easily. I've always been careful to heed the warning so no super burn story to share, but this one's for real.

Antibiotics also decrease the effacy of birth control pills, too, by the way - that's real, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]This is such a catch 22!!! If I try stopping the prescription, I might break out. If I don't, it complicates my honeymoon. Oh well, I will certainly live.[/Quote]

I had a FABULOUS sun hat that I wore in Aruba that had a UPF 50 rating. It worked. I looked it up on QVC to recommend it, but they no longer carry it, but they have other UPF wide brimmed hats. The brim being large really did the trick along with the special fabric, of course.

Call the pharmacist about the meds and the honeymoon - he'll give you the real deal, I bet, not just parrot the insert.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I am bumping all the real posts. I've had enough of this crap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, pink!!! Good thing, I'm pale as the moonlight...except for on my upper hips where I wasn't so diligent one day with the sunscreen - can anyone say "Coppertone Girl?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

lol, I feel your pain. My mid-drift and my lower arms are the only places that tan on me. It's one of the reasons I started avoiding the sun, I always looked like I had been wearing a half-shirt and fell asleep in the sun.

[Quote]LOL, pink!!! Good thing, I'm pale as the moonlight...except for on my upper hips where I wasn't so diligent one day with the sunscreen - can anyone say "Coppertone Girl?"[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: OT - Benzoyl Peroxide + Sun =???

Thought I would provide an update for other ladies out there with skin medications.

I have been tanning for the past month (no lectures please), and have not experienced ANY issues due to my medication, which is a topical lotion with benzoyl peroxide AND antibiotics.  I put it on at night and wash it off in the shower the next morning, so it's fine when I go tanning after work.  Of course other people could have different reactions, but I thought I would share.  In general, I do not burn easily.

I'm usually anti-tanning, but I am not one of those lucky people with pretty fair skin.  I am one of those with yellowy skin and dark circles around my eyes.  Wanted to even it out before the wedding.  Now my fiance is addicted to tanning sigh...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Hi!!

Changed my name since I used to post on these boards.   But just wanted to share my own thoughts.  I definitely agree with others who say to heed the warnings on the meds.   I have always been using some acne treatment or other and have had terrible burns due to the meds.   One summer I didn't have a choice about being outside - I was a camp counselor.  I got the most awful burns on my hands!    Typical places like face and arms were fine but little hands were burned to a crisp.   Another summer I was taking a med and didn't burn but the combo of med and sun really upset my stomach later that night.   You just never know and don't want to take the chances.   Sometimes sun helps clear up little break outs on your face but other times it can make it worse so your probably best to just wear a hat and stay in the shade.    GL!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Fram- while you're not noticing any effects of your skin's sensitivity to UVA and UVB rays now, the liklihood that you will develop age spots, wrinkles and skin cancer is higher because you're using medication that makes you photo sensitive.
    I know you didn't want a lecture, but this is cancer risk we're talking about.
    If you want to be tan, please hit the bottle, not the booth!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

She's not gonna get cancer from going to the tanning bed a handful of times before her wedding...if she went religiously, or if she were burning to a crisp everytime she went, that would be different.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'm sorry, are you a dermatologist?
    Are you a oncologist?
    How do you know how many times a person has to be exposed to harmful UV rays before sustaining any significant damage?
    Did you ever read the stories od Dustin Pedroia's wife, and her having skin cancer removed from her leg when she was still in her 20's?

From the Skin Cancer Foundation's website:
    "

This does not bode well for the health of the nation.  In 1994, a Swedish study found that women 18-30 years old who visited tanning parlors 10 times or more a year had seven times greater incidence of melanoma than women who did not use tanning salons.  In another study, people exposed to 10 full-body tanning salon sessions had a significant increase in skin repair proteins typically associated with sun damage, indicating that ultraviolet (UV) radiation from indoor tanning is as dangerous as UV from the sun.  And in 2002, a study from Dartmouth Medical School found that tanning device users had 2.5 times the risk of squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times the risk of basal cell carcinoma .  And yet, even with all this evidence, the tanning salons remain unrepentant."

[QUOTE]She's not gonna get cancer from going to the tanning bed a handful of times before her wedding...if she went religiously, or if she were burning to a crisp everytime she went, that would be different.  
    Posted by dbilodeau[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

http://www.skincancer.org/the-case-against-indoor-tanning.html

http://www.skincancer.org/the-dangers-of-tanning.html

"More alarming still, based on 7 worldwide studies, people who first use a tanning bed before age 35 increase their risk for melanoma by 75 percent. "

http://www.skincancer.org/iarc-tanning-link-study.html

http://www.skincancer.org/twins-and-photodamage.html

The Skin Cancer Foundation is affiliated with The American Dermatology Association. Your dermatologist will never, NEVER, tell you tanning is okay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

do not believe the lies of the tanning salon owners anymore than you would believe the lies of the cigarette companies.
    They don't care if your health is at risk, they just want your money.
    They want to get you addicted.
    Tanning is addictive.

I have seen 16-year-old girls with wrinkles because they have tanned too much.

I've seen 18-year-old girls with pink blothes on their face because their skin is so damaged it no longer produces melanin, or worse, produces too much.

You can get a tan from a bottle, there's no reason to risk cancer when you can just get a fake bake!
    New formulas for self-tanner come out every year, now you can't even tell who has the real tan.
    And if you're going to spend all kind of money on tanning beds, why not get a custom airbrushed tan for less? They're applied by hand and mixed to suit your skin tone! That's a better way to spendt hat money.

Even if you don't get cancer, who wants wrinkles and sun spots????? You will definately get those if you tan!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

Are you?

Calm down, I'm not saying saying the sun and the fake-and-bake are not harmful. Obviously if you tan in the sun or in a tanning bed your are more likely to get cancer than if you don't.  And I agree - I know people who tanned all the time when I was in high school and they look soooooo much older than those of us who didn't.  I'm saying that if she does not frequent the tanning bed, and is only going a few times before her wedding it's not the end of the world.

We're more likely to get cancer from all the toxins and s#*! in the food we eat daily than going to the tanning bed a few times.

Sections
Shortcuts