OT- what do you like to do on vacation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

OT- what do you like to do on vacation

This weather is horrible and this forum is so slow and I know a lot of LOVE vacations.
    What do you like to do on vacation?
    My DH and I love to eat at fabulous restaurants, good food and drinks.  It can be a hole in the wall or over the top.  For whatever goes on vacation.  We go day by day and only make real plans when necessary.  Most times it includes dinner reservations and maybe a day trip if there is must see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: OT- what do you like to do on vacation

We eat.  Our vacations ALWAYS revolve around food.  FI already has all the restaurants picked out for our next vacation.

We're also big sports fans, so when we travel we like to check out other ballparks and stadiums.  We're going to Chicago in October; we already have Cubs tickets and we're going to try to get Bears tickets when they go on sale this weekend.

And, ya know, there's always that other thing that most couples enjoy doing on vacation.  Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I like to go sight-seeing, museums, landmarks, zoos, etc. but not on a tour. I like to go discovering for myself, only pulling out a map when it's time to find my way back to the hotel.
    I also love love love browsing local shops, and getting dinner and a drink at a different place every night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Ha, our vacations revolve around eating, too.  As we're walking around during the day, going to breakfast, lunch, etc., we'll find a different place every day to go for dinner.  It's fun that way!

We also really like exploring things for ourselves.  We don't do guided tours, but we'll just wander around the town and act like we're locals.  It's fun!  We also have no problem getting into our rental car and driving everywhere - possibly getting lost Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT- what do you like to do on vacation:
    [QUOTE]I like to go sight-seeing, museums, landmarks, zoos, etc. but not on a tour. I like to go discovering for myself, only pulling out a map when it's time to find my way back to the hotel. I also love love love browsing local shops, and getting dinner and a drink at a different place every night.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I love to see all the sights, but I hate group tours.  Checking out a different place each night for dinner and cocktails is key.  I also like to try whatever the bar/restaurant's specialty cocktail is.

And I love to sleep in (although sleeping in for me is 9am, so I don't sleep away my vaca).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- what do you like to do on vacation : Exactly, I love to see all the sights, but I hate group tours.  Checking out a different place each night for dinner and cocktails is key.  I also like to try whatever the bar/restaurant's specialty cocktail is. And I love to sleep in (although sleeping in for me is 9am, so I don't sleep away my vaca).
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

Oh, me neither!  I should have said that, too.  I HATE sleeping in, in general, but even more so on my vacations.  We're usually up between 8am - 8:30am on our vacations, and NEVER past 9am on our weekends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

-Eat-
    -lay on the beach
    -swim
    -walk around and see the sites
    -s.e.x
    -read
    -eat some more

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

we generally don't sleep in either but sometimes it is nice to just lay around and do nothing or maybe a little somethingSurprised.
    We both like to drive and see where we end up as well.  Sometimes those drives are the most fun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our honeymoon in Aruba was our dream vacation.  Lounging, walking on the beach, swimming in the warm ocean, eating (of course!), and just being alone together without calls, emails, etc. 

Not very unique, but there it is. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kar, we know what else you did.......WinkSurprised
    teeheehee

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

we like a little adventure, and tend to plan active vacations. We enjoy the outdoors, but also like to remain close enough to civilization that we can spend the night in a cushy hotel room and get a cappuccino whenever we need one!  (so we're not the backpacking/camping types) :)

some of our favorite vacation activities (all of which we did on our honeymoon):
    hiking
    biking
    swimming
    boating
    sightseeing (art museums, anything old and beautiful)
    roaming around new cities
    long leisurely restaurant meals with wine and dessert :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

Wait, what else did Kar do? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Our vacations lately have involved some kind of activity - hiking, biking, boating, fishing. If I can find a place to go dancing, I'll drag DH.  He's generally a good sport about it.  Our vacations also tend to include quite a bit of relaxing, reading, visiting museums.  We are both also very, very white, so while swimming and the beach [only in the Carribean or w/ where white sand is involved] are fun, we try to keep out of the sun pretty much.  Eating is also high on my list of priorities.  :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, we know what else you did....... teeheehee
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Embarassed  Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that. Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

for me vacations are made for staying out late and then sleeping in, then off to brunch everyday. Brunch is my favorite meal!
    I'm not one to sit and lounge on a vacation, so I figure sleeping in isn't so bad when you're walking your legs off all day.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- what do you like to do on vacation : Exactly, I love to see all the sights, but I hate group tours.  Checking out a different place each night for dinner and cocktails is key.  I also like to try whatever the bar/restaurant's specialty cocktail is. And I love to sleep in (although sleeping in for me is 9am, so I don't sleep away my vaca).
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I love vacation and desperately need one!  We booked a weekend in Cape Cod in a few weeks and I am counting down the days!!

What we like on vacations: 
    • Definitely food!  On vacation we splurge a little and like to try out new, fancy-ish restaurants.  I think we're becoming foodies!  (but not the snobby kind)
    • Beach, we both love the ocean.  Though we don't like the hot sun too much so we go later in the day and usually try to stay for sunset
    • Exploring, I love taking a map and finding our way around and discovering new things on our own!  A trip to Italy a few years ago was a dream come true!
    • Outdoor activities:  biking, hiking, walking around... I get bored easily so I need things to keep me occupied!

The two vacation mistakes we have made: 
    1) a cruise.  I was bored out of my mind!  We're not big drinkers and I hate crowds, so it was not my cup of tea.  The best part was the day trips in port, but in a 7 day vacation we got 3 and they were too short (had to be back on the boat by like 4 PM!)  Unfortunately FI loves cruises for some reason I don't understand.
    2) all inclusive resort.  We got sick of the food after a day, don't care for the alcohol and once again, I was bored out of my mind.  I like the beach as part of a vacation, but not the whole thing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]I love vacation and desperately need one!  We booked a weekend in Cape Cod in a few weeks and I am counting down the days!! What we like on vacations:  Definitely food!  On vacation we splurge a little and like to try out new, fancy-ish restaurants.  I think we're becoming foodies!  (but not the snobby kind) Beach, we both love the ocean.  Though we don't like the hot sun too much so we go later in the day and usually try to stay for sunset Exploring, I love taking a map and finding our way around and discovering new things on our own!  A trip to Italy a few years ago was a dream come true! Outdoor activities:  biking, hiking, walking around... I get bored easily so I need things to keep me occupied! The two vacation mistakes we have made:  1) a cruise.  I was bored out of my mind!  We're not big drinkers and I hate crowds, so it was not my cup of tea.  The best part was the day trips in port, but in a 7 day vacation we got 3 and they were too short (had to be back on the boat by like 4 PM!)  Unfortunately FI loves cruises for some reason I don't understand. 2) all inclusive resort.  We got sick of the food after a day, don't care for the alcohol and once again, I was bored out of my mind.  I like the beach as part of a vacation, but not the whole thing!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Trex, that is so funny, we are complete oposites. I LOVE all-inclusives, because I can literally lay on a beach or by a pool for, no joke, 6 hours a day, and then go back, shower, and drink and eat until like 1am. My boyfriend is the same way!

I have never been on a cruise, something about the whole "no escape" freaks me out. But I LOVE Disney World, so I am also into running around, having fun type of vacation. Going there for a week in October for my birthday! Can NOT wait!!! :)

The food is probably the best part of vactationing though...no guilt!

I also hate group vacations! I went to Disney World for spring break my sophomore year with 5 other girls and it was so annoying for me. No one could agree on what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc. I would much rather go away with one person so we can both agree on one thing. No group meetings!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Peonie, haha that is funny!  When we went on the cruise, my friend asked me what the name of the boat was so in case it sunk and she saw it on the news, she'd know!  She's so cute... the idea of a cruise really scares her!  Yeah, I get bored on the beach or poolside after a while!  I love Disney too!  I haven't been there since highschool!  That would be fun to revisit with FI!  Have a great trip!

Oh and I second no group vacations!  We went to Italy with FI's brother and sister.  It was an amazing trip (and we did it because his brother was in the army stationed there, so it made it much easier!).  But we have different ideas of what to do on vacation, so compromises were made and I kind of wish we got to do more of what WE wanted to do.  Still an amazing trip though!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Disney is actually fun as adults! It's the one place you can go and act like a kid and not be ashamed! My boyfriend hasn't been since 1987, and it is so different now, I can't wait for him to go back! I could never go to Europe in a group, too many things to have to compromise on!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]Disney is actually fun as adults! It's the one place you can go and act like a kid and not be ashamed! My boyfriend hasn't been since 1987, and it is so different now, I can't wait for him to go back! I could never go to Europe in a group, too many things to have to compromise on!
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! That's where I am going on my HM...Disney, not Europe, lol. I can't wait, even though it is over a year way :(