San Diego! Recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

San Diego! Recommendations?

Okay, so our France honeymoon fell through (bummer!) but we're taking that week in September and going *somewhere*!!  (We haven't had a real vacation in over a year plus it POURED the 3 days we were off after the wedding... grrr!)

We're finding awesome deals to go to San Diego for a week.  Has anyone been?  I found the usual things to do:  Sea World, San Diego zoo, etc. but I would LOVE some other recommendations of places to go, where to stay, things to see, restaurants, etc.

We'll be getting a rental car, so any suggestions of places to drive would be great too.  We're debating whether we want to drive to LA and stay there for a day or 2.  Is it worth it?  Never been, but I figure it is just a big smoggy city.  Or maybe Mexico?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: San Diego! Recommendations?

If you've never been to Disneyland, it might be worth driving to Anaheim.  CA Adventure is more geared toward adults, and it's a lot of fun.

Othwise, the main reasons to drive to LA are baseball games and Magic Mountain (which I think it outside).  You can also do a lot of the fun Hollywood/Beverly Hill stuff (Grauman's Theatre, the Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, etc.), but none of that is really *in* LA.  And Manny's not on the Dodgers anymore, so you wouldn't get to see him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LNH721. Show LNH721's posts

GREAT choice, Trex!  I lived in San Diego for two years and it's such a wonderful place to visit.  I recommend staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for a few days- it's downtown, has a fabulous view, is easy to walk everywhere, and has bar on the top floor with the best view of San Diego. The Gaslamp District is a short walk, and has great bars and restaurants.

Coronado is probably my favorite part of San Diego.  The Hotel del Coronado is gorgeous- it's fun to have a drink on the deck there and people-watch.  Coronado is also just an adorable town.  You can take the ferry over from downtown (right near the Manchester Grand Hyatt) or there are plenty of hotels to stay in if you want to move around a bit. 

I also recommend spending some time at Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach (a part of San Diego).  It's more romantic and quiet with incredible cliffs and a great water view.  They have some smaller inns/hotels there if you wanted to do a night or two there.  "Downtown" Ocean Beach is very close- you can walk the OB Pier, get some ice cream, and check out the very eclectic locals (think Harvard Square-esque).

Having a car when visiting San Diego is pretty essential, so it's great that you're planning to rent one.  San Diego county is huge (think Boston to Worcester) and there is so much to see.  Like Cici mentioned- Old Town is great for a day trip- excellent Mexican food.  Balboa Park is a "must see" spot too- great museums and beautiful gardens, and a quick cab ride from the Manchester Grand.

I absolutely love San Diego, so if you have any other questions, let me know!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey LNH!  Thanks for all the advice!  Very helpful!

So we looked at the Hyatt and it looks great!  Only downside, parking is $25 a day for the car!  Ouch!  How is the public transit in SD?  We're wondering if we should stay downtown without the car for a few days and then get it later in the week when we might move to Ocean Beach for a few days (great idea!).

Thanks!  I'm so excited, I can't wait!  Sounds like perfect weather, and we're excited to explore the area.  Do you think there is enough to do in the SD area or should we think about heading to LA for a day or 2 as well?  Is it worth going to Hollywood and stuff? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Lots of great recs.  Awesome.  

I was there a few years ago for a short stint during a trip to visit a friend living closer to Los Angeles, and I absolutely adored San Diego.  We had a blast doing a sunset kayak trip with a little surf shop in La Jolla.  Also really enjoyed wine tasting in the Temecula area, which was on our way from my friend's place to San Diego.  If you're there for a week, I think it's worthwhile to make that little trip.  Really easy if you're going to rent a car, anyway, and it seems necessary to do so.  

Oh, and one other thing you might consider is signing up for Goldstar.  I use it for Boston stuff, but before our trip, my friend signed up for the San Diego version, and that's how we got our kayak trip for half price.  If you already get the Boston version, you can either create another account or temporarily change your ZIP codes of interest.  I highly recommend this to anyone who's honeymooning in any Goldstar city!  You can get tickets or passes for various concerts, shows and "experiences" for something like half the regular price.  There are small service fees, but they usually pale in comparison to the amount you're saving.  Since this is the kind of trip you're apt to pack with fun outings, you could save a bundle.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

In Response to San Diego! Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE] We're debating whether we want to drive to LA and stay there for a day or 2.  Is it worth it?  Never been, but I figure it is just a big smoggy city.  Or maybe Mexico? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

I'd go up for a day.  Maybe go through Temecula for wine tasting on the way, then do a nice dinner and some kind of LA nightlife activity (maybe The Groundlings?  fabulous - and another Goldstar deal!) and something like the Getty Center (my favorite!!!!) and/or Universal Studios the next day before heading back to SD.  I'm not a huge fan of LA, but there's easily enough good stuff to make it worth a day trip.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LNH721. Show LNH721's posts

Public transportation in San Diego is pretty weak, BUT if you wanted to stay Downtown for a few nights without a car, there is plenty to do in the area via cab or walking.  You could walk to the ferry, take the boat over to Coronado, and spend several hours there.  Petco Park, the Gaslamp, Balboa Park and the zoo are all very close with no car required.

As for LA, everyone has their own opinion but I think there's plenty to do in San Diego without making the trip to LA.  The traffic can be hellish and I'm just not a huge LA lover.  Rirlo's recommendation to join Goldstar and get discounted kayak trip is a great one!  La Jolla is gorgeous and kayaking through the coves is quite an experience.

In sum, definitely ok to stay downtown without a car- you'll still be able to get around very easily.  I don't recommend LA, but like Rirlo said, if you're in the area, might as well check it out. 

I'm so jealous!  I'd love to be planning a trip back to SD!!!! You're going to have a GREAT time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Randomly, if you go to La Jolla, be sure to pronounce it "La Hoya," not the way it's spelled.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Lucy!  I got a guidebook from the library that thankfully clued me in to that.  Otherwise FI (oops, DH!) and I would have looked like dumb tourists!!

I'm SO excited for our trip!  We've nixed the idea of LA, just seemed like too much driving.  But we're staying 2 days downtown (no car), then 2 days outside the city once we get the car, then 2 days in Palm Springs (yay!) and then 2 days in La Jolla!

I CAN'T WAIT!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I LOVE Palm Springs!  Be prepared, though - it will be HOT.  A kind of hot you've never experienced (unless you visit India often).  We visited my grandparents in August exactly once, and it was 124 degrees.  After that, it was always for Christmas break (because it still gets into the 90s in December).  I know it's September, but Palm Springs doesn't really cool off.  You'll want to stay indoors and wear as little as possible.