Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

Any suggestions ladies?  What's on your summer reading list?  I will read anything.  I enjoy some fluff like "Good in Bed", but also like the more substantial best sellers or older classics.

I haven't read Twilight yet, so I might bring that on the honeymoon.

ETA: Let's pretend it didn't say Twighlight earlier :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

If you like funny books my favorite is David Sedaris. I also just finished "The Fourth Bear" by Jasper Fforde. It was a great and funny mystery/comedy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you ever read To Kill a Mockingbird?  It's my favorite classic of all time. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Anything by Douglas Preston [my new fav. author].

If you only want to carry one book on your honeymoon, try Anna Karenina.  It's an awesome story and so long that you'll never finish it in a week. :-)   Or else, there's Gone w/ the Wind.  Another tome that should last the whole week. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

[QUOTE]Any suggestions ladies?  What's on your summer reading list?  I will read anything.  I enjoy some fluff like "Good in Bed", but also like the more substantial best sellers or older classics. I haven't read Twighlight yet, so I might bring that on the honeymoon.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Twilight was great ... Not Pulitzer prize winning great, but crap-tastic fluff great.  I was addicted even though I honestly didn't think that writing was the best.  I say go for it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Reading was the last thing I was thinking about doing on my honeymoon ;o)

But I do second Pinks suggestion of David Sedaris - he's brilliant.  Denis Leary's latest is also awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

LOL

Thanks!  I read Me Talk Pretty One Day, but nothing else by Sedaris.  I should try it.  Auguston Burroughs is funny too, though dark.  I also like Nick Hornby for light reading (High Fidelity).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good beach reading authors:
    Jennifer Weiner (her latest just came out in paperback)
    Jane Green (chick lit from britain...usually pretty funny if you like british humor)
    Philippa Gregory (elizabethan historical fiction...nice combo of romance/intrigue and a history lesson)

Other good reads lately
    Firefly Lane (I can't remember the author, but I read it in one day)
    Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
    Jhumpa Lampari's latest book of short stories (blanking on the name)

If you're more into action/adventure/spy kind of stuff, my fiance and dad both love Vince Flynn. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks LuvRIboy,

I looked up Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao on amazon and it sounds like something I would like!!

If you enjoyed it, you might like The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall.  It was long, but good.  The story kept going and going and you wanted to know where it would end up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll look it up.  Oscar Wao was definitely a good one. 

Also thought of a couple more: Lisa See's "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" was a great book, as was "If Today Be Sweet"...can't remember the author but it's a story about an Indian woman moving in with her son in the US after her husband's death.  Those are more on the "literature" side than "chick lit", but both from female perspectives. 

[QUOTE]Thanks LuvRIboy, I looked up Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao on amazon and it sounds like something I would like!! If you enjoyed it, you might like The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall.  It was long, but good.  The story kept going and going and you wanted to know where it would end up.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  LOVED it.  Not fluff, but not heavy. 

Life of Pi by Yan Martel.  Very unusual.  Some people I know hated it but I, again, LOVED it. 

I'll be bringing the first of the Twilight series with me, but who knows if I'll get to read any of it... not necessarily because I'll be doing "other things" on my honeymoon (although I do plan to be), but also because my FI is incapable of NOT talking to me while I'm reading!  Ever!!  (he's not a reader)  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  LOVED it.  Not fluff, but not heavy.  Life of Pi by Yan Martel.  Very unusual.  Some people I know hated it but I, again, LOVED it.  I'll be bringing the first of the Twilight series with me, but who knows if I'll get to read any of it... not necessarily because I'll be doing "other things" on my honeymoon (although I do plan to be), but also because my FI is incapable of NOT talking to me while I'm reading!  Ever!!  (he's not a reader)  :)
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

Was the movie Pi based on that book?  I LOVED that movie...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]Was the movie Pi based on that book?  I LOVED that movie...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Hi Kar - No, actually, the movie is about actual math (which makes sense with the whole "Pi" thing) but the book is about an Indian boy who's nickname is Pi.  It's all about his adventure when the ship his family is sailing (along with all of the animals from their zoo that they are transporting to Canada) sinks and he is trapped on a lifeboat with a tiger.  It's fascinating!  And has a VERY interesting ending that I love to talk about with anyone who's read it!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I'd be happy to suggest a mess of romance novels, if you're into that.

For non-romance I'd suggest picking up pretty much anything by Chuck Palahniuk or David Sedaris. Terry Pratchett writes very funny fantasy-ish books. I'd suggest Going Postal, Night Watch, Thud! or Monstrous Regiment. Going Postal had me laughing out loud.

If you haven't read Watchmen yet, you should.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

If you bring Twilight with you on your honeymoon you will never see your new husband. :-) It is SO addictive...but so good. And I agree the writing is mediocre but the story is awesome.

The "something blue" series is also good, cheesy and light if you haven't read it already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Kar - No, actually, the movie is about actual math (which makes sense with the whole "Pi" thing) but the book is about an Indian boy who's nickname is Pi.  It's all about his adventure when the ship his family is sailing (along with all of the animals from their zoo that they are transporting to Canada) sinks and he is trapped on a lifeboat with a tiger.  It's fascinating!  And has a VERY interesting ending that I love to talk about with anyone who's read it!  :)
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info - sounds like a great book!!  What a truly unique story line...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you haven't already read it, Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is fantastic.  I can't wait for his new book to come out [and be translated so I can read it].  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]If you bring Twilight with you on your honeymoon you will never see your new husband. :-) It is SO addictive...but so good. And I agree the writing is mediocre but the story is awesome. The "something blue" series is also good, cheesy and light if you haven't read it already.
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of the Something Blue series.  I'd like to do some light reading for once!!  Which book is first in that series?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Something Borrowed :-)

I just finished reading Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain. Really good book, the sequel comes out in June. She's written a couple others that were part of the Target Book Club as well that I liked.

Summer People by Brian Groh was also good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

One of my all time favorites is the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark haddon. If you liked Catcher in the Rye you'll love this---its about an autistic boy who is a math genius...the last paragraph of the book always makes me smile.

Also Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding--she wrote Bridget Jones...just a funny mindless book.

Final suggestion--not lite but an amazing true story is Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson..its about a man who builds schools in Pakistan. I read this last summer at the beach and could not put it down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Jen Lancaster's "Bitter is the New Black" (I definitely recommend reading them in order...)

I also like Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult (but she's doesn't write beach books).

I loved Life of Pi, but I think that's a book that you need to use the buddy system for because you're going to want to talk about it immediately after you finish it.  If DH is also a reader, maybe you could both read that one at the same time.  (Oooh, honeymoon dinner conversation???)  I'm going to go out on my own here and say that I hated Three Cups of Tea.  To me, it read like the world's longest newspaper article and, really, I can do without reading about someone else's ego.  BUT, that is a conversation for another thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]One of my all time favorites is the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark haddon. If you liked Catcher in the Rye you'll love this---its about an autistic boy who is a math genius...the last paragraph of the book always makes me smile. Also Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding--she wrote Bridget Jones...just a funny mindless book. Final suggestion--not lite but an amazing true story is Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson..its about a man who builds schools in Pakistan. I read this last summer at the beach and could not put it down.
    Posted by preserves[/QUOTE]

Hi Preserves!
    I listened to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night on CD during my commute to work.  I really enjoyed it.  It was interesting to hear narration from that perspective and also cute since he was a child.  The narrator did a good job with it.  I will have to re-read the final paragraph next time I stop in the library - curious what it says now! :o)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Jen Lancaster's "Bitter is the New Black" (I definitely recommend reading them in order...) I also like Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult (but she's doesn't write beach books). I loved Life of Pi, but I think that's a book that you need to use the buddy system for because you're going to want to talk about it immediately after you finish it.  If DH is also a reader, maybe you could both read that one at the same time.  (Oooh, honeymoon dinner conversation???)  I'm going to go out on my own here and say that I hated Three Cups of Tea.  To me, it read like the world's longest newspaper article and, really, I can do without reading about someone else's ego.  BUT, that is a conversation for another thread.
    Posted by FriarGirl03[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendations Friar!  I have to say, and I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand Jodi Picoult!  I was looking forward to reading her books because they sounded interesting and I heard so many good reviews.  I read My Sister's Keeper and didn't love it.  Now I am listening to Vanishing or Vanished on CD and it's not very good.  I'm still interested in trying the one about the school shooting though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi Fra,

if it's any consolation, I can't stand Jodi Picoult either.  Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I love this thread!!  Much better than the "Book" forum.

Friar - you are absolutely correct about Life of Pi - in fact, I'm curious what your take was on the end.  If you feel like sharing you can email me at heatherplusdave at yahoo dot com.  (yes, cheesy email name but I needed one quickly on the fly and the others i tried were taken, so that one stuck!)

Re: Jodi Picoult, I've only read "19 Minutes" and I found it to be interesting - I was not bored.  Several in my book group "hate" her... I'm not sure I understand why (it seems a strong reaction to her kind of writing style), but that's part of the interest of discussing books/authors!

I am very excited to have so many great book ideas now!