Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

I was thinking of the Something Blue series.  I'd like to do some light reading for once!!  Which book is first in that series?
    Posted by framerican51008

Somethig Borrowed and Something Blue are a series, then there's Love the One You're With which I just read and that was good too. I think there's one more I can't think of the title...maybe there are only three.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

I just picked up a few of these titles! thanks Ladies!!

Dennis Lehane I always like (wrote "gone baby gone" and "mystic River") just finished "sacred". they are based in boston and are pretty intense. also read his Darkness take my hand which comes before Sacred (lots of references, but you wouldn't be lost without reading the first one).

right now i'm reading "the Road" by Cormac McCarthy. just started it but sounds interesting.

I also like Paul Auster and John Irving (prayer for owen meany took me a long time to read but i loved it and want to tackle it again soon).

i've read James Patterson (when the wind blows) and Jodi Piccoult (nineteen minutes and my sister's keeper) and although i enjoyed them they weren't ones that i consider "must reads". certainly not on my favorite authors list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

With James Patterson and the nursery rhyme titles, you do enjoy them more if you read them in sequence [the Alex Cross series].  His Women's Murder Club series is also great.  Both series can get confusing if you don't read them in order.  Just an FYI. 

I don't think When the Wind Blows is one of those [it's been a while], but I find that I enjoy his series more than I do his stand alones. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh yeah!  I have a RAVE review for a mystery/crime series.  There is a British author named Michael Robotham who is awesome. 

The books go in this order:
    Suspect, Lost, Night Ferry, Shattered.  You could just pick any one and read it, but if you read them in order you will recognize some character names and whatnot.  The main character that is focused on changes in each one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

If you like detective novels and british humor, Dorothy L. Sayers is awesome.  She wrote the Lord Peter Whimsey series in the 20s and they are great!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

With James Patterson and the nursery rhyme titles, you do enjoy them more if you read them in sequence [the Alex Cross series].  His Women's Murder Club series is also great.  Both series can get confusing if you don't read them in order.  Just an FYI.  I don't think When the Wind Blows is one of those [it's been a while], but I find that I enjoy his series more than I do his stand alones. 
    Posted by ALF72

when i was browsing i picked up "the lakehouse" and it said it was the followup to when the wind blows, so i figured i would get the first one first. this is not the Alex Cross series, so maybe i'll give him another shot with those. thanks for the info.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

If you haven't already read it, Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is fantastic.  I can't wait for his new book to come out [and be translated so I can read it].  
    Posted by ALF72

Hits the bookstore June 16th - a day after I leave for my honeymoon...oh well.  I can read it when I get back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I'm still interested in trying the one about the school shooting though.

I just finished that one (Nineteen Minutes).  I really like the way that she writes and the imagery she uses to describe things.  Her books really made me think about things from the opposite perspective than I normally would.  She kind of makes me feel for the "villian" in a way few authors really can.  But that's just me.  There are plenty of awesome authors out there so I try not to waste your time with someone I'm on the fence about.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Somethig Borrowed and Something Blue are a series, then there's Love the One You're With which I just read and that was good too. I think there's one more I can't think of the title...maybe there are only three.
    Posted by amschnittger

Love the One You're with isn't part of the "borrowed" series but it is good. she also wrote Baby Blues (i think that's the name)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hits the bookstore June 16th - a day after a leave for my honeymoon...oh well.  I can read it when I get back.
    Posted by dbilodeau

Sweet! I'm on vacation then too, but I'll def pick it up when I get back! :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Beach books - check!  I got Twilight and Something Borrowed.  Can't wait to lounge!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Wow. My favorites were already mentioned.

Bitter is the New Black- Jennifer Lancaster. No memior has ever made me laugh out loud like that book. I also read it when I was unemployed so it really lifted my spirits. She also wrote a follow up book to this...Bright Lights, Big A** and Pretty Fat.

Good in Bed is also one of my favorites of all time. The sequel to this book is out now. Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner.

Read the Twilight series and loved that too.

Big fan of Something Borrowed and Something Blue.

And, I enjoyed Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Anything by Douglas Preston [my new fav. author]. If you only want to carry one book on your honeymoon, try Anna Karenina.  It's an awesome story and so long that you'll never finish it in a week. :-)   Or else, there's Gone w/ the Wind.  Another tome that should last the whole week. 
    Posted by ALF72

Anna Karenina?  Seriously a book about a woman in a loveless marriage and her adultery as a book for your honeymoon?  You are insane, but it is a decent book.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Sorry - a tiny bit OT, but...

All of the "Good in Bed" references have me remembering - at a job interview once, I was asked "What was the last book you read?" and I had just finished "Good in Bed"!!!  Of course, I totally blanked and could not think of a SINGLE other book title to save my life!  So I confessed and we got a good laugh out of the questionable title (I got the job).  Then, 2 years later I'm sitting in an interview for that same position - but this time I was an interviewer (my coworker had retired).  My principal asked the interviewee (if that's a word) that same question, and she got all read and said her mother-in-law given her this book but it had a strange title... I said, "Was it 'Good in Bed'?"  Her jaw dropped and she nearly fell out of her chair because IT WAS!  She got the job. ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Anna Karenina?  Seriously a book about a woman in a loveless marriage and her adultery as a book for your honeymoon?  You are insane, but it is a decent book.
    Posted by wendy98

LOL.  Maybe it will make you appreciate what you have?    

Sorry, I like Tolstoy and I loved that book.  It's also long enough that you would only have to bring 1 book. I actually went through about 3 books on my honeymoon and another on the flight home that I picked up at the airport.  I also recommended other books that were a bit more upbeat. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I wouldn't take Twilight, just because it's HUGE, and you'll have to lug it around with you everywhere you go.

If you like vampire stories, try the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.  HBO's True Blood Series is based on the books, and they're pretty good.  The stories are interesting, and Charlaine Harris is a better writer than Stephanie Meyer.  They're also SMALL - about 300 pages each, and they fit nicely in a purse.  Start with Dead Until Dark.

Oh, and if I also recommend Little Children by.... the guy who wrote Election.  I'm spacing on his name, but it's a good movie, and the book is better.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  LOVED it.  Not fluff, but not heavy.  Life of Pi by Yan Martel.  Very unusual.  Some people I know hated it but I, again, LOVED it.  I'll be bringing the first of the Twilight series with me, but who knows if I'll get to read any of it... not necessarily because I'll be doing "other things" on my honeymoon (although I do plan to be), but also because my FI is incapable of NOT talking to me while I'm reading!  Ever!!  (he's not a reader)  :)
    Posted by heatherv1211

Twilight is not the sort of book where you remotely need to concentrate.  In fact, it might be better if someone is talking to you, because it'll take your attention away from the fact that the writing is terrible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

One of my favorite books that I recently read is called "the time traveller's wife".  So awesome.  It was a fairly easy read and it's pretty romantic, come to think of it.  And....it involves time travel (which I love) though I wouldn't call it sci fi or anything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

One of my favorite books that I recently read is called "the time traveller's wife".  So awesome.  It was a fairly easy read and it's pretty romantic, come to think of it.  And....it involves time travel (which I love) though I wouldn't call it sci fi or anything.
    Posted by Danielle44

I tried to read this book, i got halfway through before giving up. I just couldn't finish it or get into it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I loved the Time Travelers Wife!! Not many books can make me cry like a baby, but that one did. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Time Travlers Wife is one of my Favorites!!! (it's funny I couldn't get through Pi or Eat, Pray, Love - just couldn't do it)

I also loved "land of a thousand splendid suns" not really honeymoon but really really good!

Hunger Games - its an adolencent book, but really good and fast. Not my typical read but good.

Second, or third, or whateve the Something Borrowed group of books.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I also loved the Time Traveler's Wife!  I like something with a bit of a fantasy or sci fi twist to it.  Handmaid's Tale was OK.  Reminded me a bit of The Messenger/Gathering Blue/ whatever the third book is called by Lois Lowry.

I did read Twilight on the honeymoon.  Pretty good.  Can't quite understand why this girl is willing to die for a guy just because he's hot, but I enjoyed it anyway.  Will definitely read the rest of the series.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

fra - ditto on the fantasy/sci-fi.  hard to find other women who like those genres!!   

I also loved the Time Traveler's Wife!  I like something with a bit of a fantasy or sci fi twist to it.  Handmaid's Tale was OK.  Reminded me a bit of The Messenger/Gathering Blue/ whatever the third book is called by Lois Lowry. I did read Twilight on the honeymoon.  Pretty good.  Can't quite understand why this girl is willing to die for a guy just because he's hot, but I enjoyed it anyway.  Will definitely read the rest of the series.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon:
    I loved the Time Travelers Wife!! Not many books can make me cry like a baby, but that one did. 
    Posted by ALF72

The movie version is supposed to be released Aug. 14th...I wonder if it will be any good. 

Have you started The Angel's Game?  I am about 50 pages into it and I would be reading it right now if my boss wouldn't fire me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I just finished The Wedding Girl...very good. It is by Sophie Kinsella...but under her other name, can't think of it right now.

Dkd...cute pup :)

Sections
Shortcuts