Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon:
    I just finished The Wedding Girl...very good. It is by Sophie Kinsella...but under her other name, can't think of it right now. Dkd...cute pup :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

Madeleine Sophie Wickham, I believe.  Will have to check it out.

Hehe!  He's funny...he loves to dress up, and strangely enough his favorites are some mardi gra beads and a pink sweater with a white (faux) fur collar. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : Madeleine Sophie Wickham, I believe.  Will have to check it out. Hehe!  He's funny...he loves to dress up, and strangely enough his favorites are some mardi gra beads and a pink sweater with a white (faux) fur collar. 
    Posted by dkb6248

I know her first name is Madeline...but it was cute! I love her, and have read all her books!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Ooh--I'm late to this thread.   Probably because it was started 3 days before my wedding.  BUT I also LOVED the Time Traveler's Wife--lovely and romantic.  

I'm in the middle of Oscar Wao right now.  It is engaging but kind of depressing...

I did not read a single page of either of the books I brought on my honeymoon (even though I am generally a big reader).  We went to Italy and there was so much to see and do! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I finished The Angel's Game this past weekend.  So so good! I am returning it to the library today b/c there is a huge wait list. :-) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I read and quite enjoyed The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan on my HM last summer. If you're into the DaVinci Code type thing, you'll probably dig it. I'm also a big fan of The Red Tent which isn't exactly a new release, but I can read it over and over again. I've also always loved the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables. I guess none of those are fluff beach reads, but they're not tough to get through. I always end up loving books I buy at the kiosk in the airport, too. Stuff that I'd never buy ordinarily, but I get on the plane and can't put them down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Is Angel's Game by the author of the Time Traveller's Wife?

Did anyone else notice a BUNCH of grammatical and other errors in the Twilight books???  I noticed one or two at the end of the first book, so I paid attention throughout the second and there were at least 7 that I caught.  Either a word would be missing (like the or of) or there would be a glaring grammatical error.  Who edited these things?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I know that was a super dorky post, but I also know that several of you would be equally annoyed if you noticed the errors too :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Is Angel's Game by the author of the Time Traveller's Wife? Did anyone else notice a BUNCH of grammatical and other errors in the Twilight books???  I noticed one or two at the end of the first book, so I paid attention throughout the second and there were at least 7 that I caught.  Either a word would be missing (like the or of) or there would be a glaring grammatical error.  Who edited these things?!
    Posted by framerican51008

No, not the same author.  Sorry for the confusion, I was randomly responding to 2 posts at the same time.

I agree about the grammatical errors in books - it was even more annoying when I was in school and would find them in my textbooks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Fra, I have to admit that when I find grammatical or spelling errors in books that I automatically correct them.  I've done this w/o thinking w/ library books.  Oops. :-)  Then again, I've had a library book out and noticed that someone else made corrections in the margin too, so I guess I don't feel so badly about it.  lol.  I'm just a big nerd in the end.  :-D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Has anyone read The Secret History by Donna Tartt?  I am about 70 pages in and trying to decide if it's worth reading. 

I am sick of finishing books that haven't sucked me in!!  I haven't read anything good in a while, except the Twilight series, but I didn't love that nearly as much as some of my friends.  The Secret History is reminding me of Special Topics in Calamity Physics, which I didn't like much in the end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I second the notion that Three Cups of Tea is a tough read...while the idea behind the book is great, it is like a giant narrative of everything the guy did for years and years...it's pretty slow. I had to force myself to finish it.

On the other hand, the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by local author Katherine Howe, is great! It's about the Salem witch trials, but with a twist. I'm about 3/4 done and I can't put it down, but I have to pace myself because I don't want it to end! I HIGHLY recommend it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

MIL gave me Three Cups of Tea to read, and I didn't get very far.  I think I was a few chapters in, and I have finished several other books in the meantime.  I need to finish it...I feel bad.

I just finished My Old True Love by Sheila Kay Adams and I loved it.  But it broke my heart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

MIL gave me Three Cups of Tea to read, and I didn't get very far.  I think I was a few chapters in, and I have finished several other books in the meantime.  I need to finish it...I feel bad. I just finished My Old True Love by Sheila Kay Adams and I loved it.  But it broke my heart.
    Posted by dkb6248

I'm also totally late to this post, but new book suggestions are always great...  I do NOT recommend taking Twilight on your honeymoon - you will get so engrossed that you will ignore your DH :)  I am just finishing up "Breaking Dawn" now (the 4th book) which I'm purposely doing before the wedding/honeymoon so I won't wonder what is happening in Forks while I'm away!  (OMG I'm such a loser.) 

Anyway, I second all suggestions for "The Shadow of the Wind" and second thoughts that "Three Cups of Tea" had a great message, but put me right to sleep.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I actually did end up bringing the first Twilight book on my honeymoon and didn't get that sucked in.  I definitely enjoyed the series, but didn't LOVE it.  I probably read half of the first book on the honeymoon.  Can't wait to see the rest of the movies now that they probably have a better budget!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Just finished reading "The Wedding Girl" by Madeleine Wickham (Sophie Kinsella). Cute and easy if you need a light read.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Ooh so many good reading recommendations!

I agree about Twilight - don't bring it because you'll want to read it, esp books 1 and 4! It isn't a great work of literature by any means, just addictive.

I thought Three Cups of Tea was wonderful! It is a little slow, but such an amazing story! Kind of similar world-changing theme as "Mountains beyond Mountains" - another great book!

In line with David Sedaris, I would recommend "Hypocrite in a pouffy white dress" by Susan Jane Gilman and also one by Sloane Crosley... forgetting the title...something about eating cake, which isn't quite as good, but still that same narrative type of book, and funny.

I just read "Firefly Lane" which is basically a remake of Beaches, and made me cry at the last chapter, so probably not the best thing for a honeymoon. All the other books I tried to read this year have ended up in a big stack, half finished (this includes Midnight's Children, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and the Tipping Point - all great books, I'm sure).

What about 'A Tree grows in Brooklyn'? Great classic book.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : I'm also totally late to this post, but new book suggestions are always great...  I do NOT recommend taking Twilight on your honeymoon - you will get so engrossed that you will ignore your DH :)  I am just finishing up "Breaking Dawn" now (the 4th book) which I'm purposely doing before the wedding/honeymoon so I won't wonder what is happening in Forks while I'm away!  (OMG I'm such a loser.)  Anyway, I second all suggestions for "The Shadow of the Wind" and second thoughts that "Three Cups of Tea" had a great message, but put me right to sleep.   
    Posted by LilSprout

Funny, I read Shadow of the Wind a few years ago, and the villa we stayed in on our honeymoon happened to have a copy.  I told DH if he was looking for a good beach read he'd really like it.  Yep, he was so engrossed, he hardly spoke to me for the day and a half it took him to finish it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Has anyone read The Secret History by Donna Tartt?  I am about 70 pages in and trying to decide if it's worth reading.  I am sick of finishing books that haven't sucked me in!!  I haven't read anything good in a while, except the Twilight series, but I didn't love that nearly as much as some of my friends.  The Secret History is reminding me of Special Topics in Calamity Physics, which I didn't like much in the end.
    Posted by framerican51008

Fra, let me know if it really stinks b/c it's on my list to read. :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I love this post - the "Books" Forum is soooo boring!

Tree Grows In Brooklyn - one of my all time favorites.  Also a bit sad, though.  Have you tried Betty Smith's other books??  They are all very good.

What about 'A Tree grows in Brooklyn'? Great classic book.
    Posted by Epigal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Did anyone here read "The Secret"?  I just listened to it (well, most of it) on cd and am dying to talk to someone about it.  I couldn't get through the whole thing, but I found it worthy of conversation...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

If you liked Good in Bed, then read Goodnight Nobody also by Jennifer Weiner.  I thought it could have been done a bit better, but it was a quick, soft read.

The Time Travellers Wife was excellent.  Also enjoyed All Souls, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, and She's Come Undone

My other favorites (some of which I saw recommended here as well):

Sunflower and the Secret Fan

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Red Tent (hated the ending)
    The Perfect Storm
    The Glass Castle

My book club just read Olive Kittredge--starts out slow with unlikable characters, but gets better if you stick with it--and this month we are reading Unaccustomed Earth, short stories by Jhumpa Lampari (she wrote the Namesake, which I did not read, but saw the movie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Three Cups of Tea was just repetitive.  He did the same thing over and over again--admirable, but repetitive.  There was just an interview with him and his daughter in Good Housekeeping I think...she's about 9 now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

If anyone is a animal lover like myself I recommend Babylons Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo by Lawrence Anthony.

Very very good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Time Travlers Wife is one of my Favorites!!! (it's funny I couldn't get through Pi or Eat, Pray, Love - just couldn't do it) I also loved "land of a thousand splendid suns" not really honeymoon but really really good! Hunger Games - its an adolencent book, but really good and fast. Not my typical read but good. Second, or third, or whateve the Something Borrowed group of books.
    Posted by katie1980

Eat, Love,and Pray was a horrible book!  The author was a whiny windbag.  Oh whoa is me I have a terrible life I need to take a year off.  Huh?  You hated being married and wanted to get divorced.  Stop complaining!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLLCK. Show LLLCK's posts

I wouldn't take Twilight, just because it's HUGE, and you'll have to lug it around with you everywhere you go. If you like vampire stories, try the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.  HBO's True Blood Series is based on the books, and they're pretty good.  The stories are interesting, and Charlaine Harris is a better writer than Stephanie Meyer.  They're also SMALL - about 300 pages each, and they fit nicely in a purse.  Start with Dead Until Dark. Oh, and if I also recommend Little Children by.... the guy who wrote Election.  I'm spacing on his name, but it's a good movie, and the book is better.  
    Posted by lucy7368

Tom Perotta wrote Little Children and Election and all his books are very good and easy to read which I consider a must for a summer read.  If you have not read it already read Joe College, one of his first books.   Do you like Richard Russo?  I have this theory that people (well me, two friend and my uncle) like Tom Perotta's books like Richard Russo's. 

Sections
Shortcuts