Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLLCK. Show LLLCK's posts

Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon

In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : Eat, Love,and Pray was a horrible book!  The author was a whiny windbag.  Oh whoa is me I have a terrible life I need to take a year off.  Huh?  You hated being married and wanted to get divorced.  Stop complaining!
    Posted by ash[/QUOTE]
    OMG I thought Iwas the only person on the planet who felt this way about Eat, Love and Pray.  I wanted smack the author upside the head with the book and show her what real problems are. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I felt similarly about the narrator (and author) of "Eat, Pray, Love" (I mean, really, who happens to have thousands of dollars lying around and can take off traveling for an unlimited amount of time to exotic locations?  Hard to feel bad for her), but I loved the cultural stuff. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I felt similarly about the narrator (and author) of "Eat, Pray, Love" (I mean, really, who happens to have thousands of dollars lying around and can take off traveling for an unlimited amount of time to exotic locations?  Hard to feel bad for her), but I loved the cultural stuff. 
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

The end of Eat, Pray, Love really p*ssed me off.  I was doing OK up until the last few chapters.  Also, yeah - I would love to spend a few months in an ashram finding myself (or three months in Italy getting fat and learning Italian), but I have bills to pay.  I'm glad her journey worked for her, though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

How lost do you have to be to spend any amount of time in an ashram 'finding yourself'?  I think most people can 'find themselves' at home, in odd moments during the day w/o having to take an extended, expensive vacation to sit around in an ashram meditating on Me and What It All Means.  Jeez!  Give me a good crime novel any day, rather than that schlock. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]How lost do you have to be to spend any amount of time in an ashram 'finding yourself'?  I think most people can 'find themselves' at home, in odd moments during the day w/o having to take an extended, expensive vacation to sit around in an ashram meditating on Me and What It All Means.  Jeez!  Give me a good crime novel any day, rather than that schlock. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Just discovered a new mystery author that you might like, Alf, S.J. Rozan.  I'm reading "Stone Quarry" and really enjoying it.  Have you read any of her books?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, tt.  I'll check it out. I have not heard of that particular author, but will def. look into it! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hey Alf,
    I finished The Secret History and it was just OK.  I really enjoyed the other book by Donna Tartt (The Little Friend, I think), but was disappointed in the ending.  In this case, the ending didn't let me down, but I wasn't super absorbed in the book.  It was just OK.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks.  I doubt I'll get to it before my move then.  One more thing to cross of the list, I guess. :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : Tom Perotta wrote Little Children and Election and all his books are very good and easy to read which I consider a must for a summer read.  If you have not read it already read Joe College, one of his first books.   Do you like Richard Russo?  I have this theory that people (well me, two friend and my uncle) like Tom Perotta's books like Richard Russo's. 
    Posted by LLLCK[/QUOTE]

I've never read Russo, but I'll check it out.  Thanks!

I'm currently reading The Time-Traveler's Wife.  Different from the movie, but good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : Tom Perotta wrote Little Children and Election and all his books are very good and easy to read which I consider a must for a summer read.  If you have not read it already read Joe College, one of his first books.   Do you like Richard Russo?  I have this theory that people (well me, two friend and my uncle) like Tom Perotta's books like Richard Russo's. 
    Posted by LLLCK[/QUOTE]

I read (actually listened to) Tom Perotta's The Abstinence Teacher and found it kind of pointless.  Is Little Children any better?  I had been meaning to read it, but after listening to The Abstinence Teacher I'm not sure if it's worth it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but I just finished a 3-book series about Josephine Bonaparte by Sandra Gulland.  It was historical fiction (sort of like Phillipa Gregory).  Very well-written and entertaining.  You don't have to read all 3 in a row, but it's good to start with the first one first. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : I read (actually listened to) Tom Perotta's The Abstinence Teacher and found it kind of pointless.  Is Little Children any better?  I had been meaning to read it, but after listening to The Abstinence Teacher I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

His books tend to be satirical social commentary.  If you didn't enjoy The Abstinence Teacher (or the movie Election), you probably wouldn't like Little Children, either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer Reading 2009 - beach books for the honeymoon : His books tend to be satirical social commentary.  If you didn't enjoy The Abstinence Teacher (or the movie Election), you probably wouldn't like Little Children, either.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to find out that he had written Election as well... I get the social commentary part of The Abstinence Teacher, but nothing about it screamed satire to me.  I'll add Little Children to the list and see if I get to it - I only have like 20 other books to read first ;o)

Just finished How to Be Good by Nick Hornby. I love him, but it was my least favorite of his books.  Maybe I'll read About a Boy soon even though I've seen the movie.

Sections
Shortcuts