Thailand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Thailand

I am just starting to plan our honeymoon and I think we decided on Thailand!  We are planning on staying 3-4 weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any input? 
    I definitely want to spend some time in Bangkok, Chaing Mai and some of the islands.  I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Thailand

Hi dreamer,
    My son and DIL had their belated honeymoon in Thailand. They loved every minute of it - and we did their pictures. Go for it!

In Response to Thailand:
    [QUOTE]I am just starting to plan our honeymoon and I think we decided on Thailand!  We are planning on staying 3-4 weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any input?  I definitely want to spend some time in Bangkok, Chaing Mai and some of the islands.  I am open to any suggestions! Thanks!
    Posted by Dreamer-6-19[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I were going to Thailand, I'd definitely get AAA if I didn't have it already and talk to a travel agent familiar with Thailand.  They can do a great job of helping you design a trip around you and your husband's tastes/personalities.  They helped us a lot with Aruba to pick an area of the island and hotel that was perfect for us.  Other people's opinions were good, but we would have ended up on the "wrong" end for us, the crowded shared beach area of the high rises because that's what most people recommended to us.  I'm so glad we talked to a AAA travel agent who asked us about what WE were looking for in our honeymoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Kargiver,
    Interesting fact about AAA, they also help pay for your pet's prescriptions. I have a cat who had a severe UTI and needed antibiotics, wouldn't you know it was going to cost me $95. When I went to pick them up, the pharmacists asked me if I was a  AAA member and when I told her yes, she told me it was only going to be $7!

They also helped me plan a wonderful trip to Ireland three years ago. I highly recommend them. Thailand sounds amazing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No way! Pet meds???  I LOVE AAA!!!!  Thanks for the heads up, Elmgirl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

If you use a TA make sure they have a lot of specific knowledge about your destination, & preferably have been themselves!  I've never been to Thailand, but on other trips to Asia, I actually found I had worse luck with TA bookings, and have avoided using them for personal travel.  The couple times they made arrangements for me for business travel the itineraries they came up with just didn't make that much sense.  For ex, they had me spend 3 hours in an airport hotel in Singapore, where I had to waste 2 hours on each end getting to the hotel, and getting back to the airport, doing security again, etc.  It would have been much easier to sleep at one of the "sleeping pods" within the airport.  If I had done my own homework with a good guidebook, I'm pretty sure I could have figured this out.  Instead, i got handed an itinerary from someone who had never been to Singapore, and it just didn't make a lot of sense.

A Lonely Planet guide + tripadvisor generally makes me a happy traveler.  Of course, I also enjoy planning these things, so that part doesn't bother me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Also, fly Singapore Air if it's not exorbitant.  They have the most humane international economy I have ever been on.  It was really a cut above.  I would be willing to add a stopover to an Asia flight just to fly SA.  They have plugs for your computer (though you may not have one on your hm, i guess), a little lounge in the back that they keep stocked with snacks and drinks, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I second Jasmines advise re SA - they truly are a great airline.

Ideas for Thailand - what are your interests? Do you already have a list of things you MUST see/do?

Truth be told, Bangkok is pretty ordinary - you can probably make do with an end at each night when you arrive/before you fly out - spend the rest of your time island hopping/adventuring/beach lazing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Thanks for the input!

Earlier during the week I stopped at AAA and they had a small booklet for various Asia guided trips. I did something similar in Europe a few years ago and I would prefer more flexibility of traveling on our own.  Unfortunately I haven't had time to sit down and talk with a TA but I hope to do so within a few weeks.  I also have traveled quite a bit around Europe and I enjoy planning trips.  I pretty just want to go to a TA to see the difference in rates.  I will also definitely look into SA.

I'm interested in doing a little bit of everything.  I agree with Prill in that I don't want to spend too much time in Bangkok...but as we will be flying in and out of there we will at least have a few nights.  So far, I'm thinking of exploring the Chaing Mai area where we can go on an elephant trek and hill-tribe trekking.  I also found this website where we can be a monk for a few days!  We would stay at the temple and live the monk lifestyle for 2/3 days (they recommend a month, but the minimum is 2 nights).  Neither FI or I are religious, but I think it would be a great life experience and a good story to tell.  And if we are all the way over there, why not?  (It might be a TOUGH one to convince FI, but its worth a shot!).  Once we finish exploring around Northern Thailand, I would like to go to the South and go island hopping and have plenty of time to relax!  I cant wait to go buy some books this weekend!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

I second Jasmine's advice that you can learn a lot by reading tripadvisor and other travel forums.  Unfortuantely, it is becoming more common for hotels to post as travelers on that site in particular so take it for what its worth.  When I was researching Thailand, I found the Fodors forum very helpful.  They recommended a lot of great hotels on Phuket and Koh Samui.  I'm not a tour guide person but one person's name that kept coming up again and again was Tong.  Her website is www.tourwithtong.com. Everyone seemed to love her for Bangkok tours so she might be a good person to talk to about activities in the area.  Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Thanks WMegs! 

I bought the Fodors and Lonely Planet Travel Guides and have found a lot of great places to visit.  I'll also take a look at the Fodors forums and Tong's website.  Thanks for the tips!