Too hot! Now what?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Too hot! Now what?

So FI and I just got back from a cruise and it was HOT. It came to our attention that we may not want to be at the beach for ten days straight at a resort or all inclusive anymore like we originally thought. We ideally would like some relaxing time at the beach, time for possible sight seeing, or adventure types of things. Then we were thinking maybe Europe or somewhere that still has the beach close by, but where we are not sweating to death just walking a short distance to get dinner. We are getting married in May 2010. Does anyone have any suggestions of something that would be somewhat reasonably priced that would fit our interests?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Too hot! Now what?

May and August are VERY different....keep that in mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

But, I went to Aruba at the end of March, and it was 85-90 everyday, but you didn't feel the heat because of the amazing tradewinds. They keep you cool. Aruba is also very dry, so there isn't much humidity. It is also an AWESOME island. I would highly suggest it. There are plenty of other ladies on this board who have been there that can help out with tips.

My avatar is from Aruba :)

They have fun snorkeling, excursions, great restaurants, awesome shopping, the kukukanooku (fun party bus that brings you around the island), gorgeous beaches, etc etc etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I think you should be okay for Europe in May.  We were going to go to Europe for our honeymoon this July but we knew it would be hot and we did not want to sightsee in the heat!  We went to Hawaii instead...good weather all year round. We did it for much cheaper than our Europe trip would be. Going to have to save up for that one for a loong time! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We went to Italy in May for our honeymoon this year.  It was WONDERFUL.  I would highly recommend it.  However, we ended up there in the middle of a heat wave, and instead of the usual temps in the 70s, it was in the 80s and 90s pretty much the whole time we were there.  HOT.  So you can never guarantee the weather.  However, sightseeing was beautiful, and we did a mix of indoor/outdoor activities.  Wouldn't have traded it for the world, even despite the heat wave.  Plus, I made sure all of our hotels had A/C, just in case!

We did a mix of outdoor/adventure activities and sightseeing.  We did beach/swimming/boating and hiking on the Amalfi Coast and Capri.  Went on a bike tour of the Chianti region in Tuscany.

Italy is also really cool because you can see such a huge range of art/culture from different eras, and really get a taste for European history.  We saw: Ancient ruins (Rome, Pompeii), Medieval city (Siena), Renaissance art & architecture (Florence & Venice).  

As far as "reasonably priced" it means something different to everyone, but Europe can be done on a huge range of budgets.  It all depends on what you are looking for.  My husband and I stuck to small b&b style hotels, which were a better value than the big chains.  They all included breakfast, and we kept lunch mostly a casual, inexpensive affair.  Then we would go out for dinner and splurge a little.  Wine is cheap and abundant and the food is fantastic.  We stuck to public transportation--bus, subway, train, commuter rail.  (I think we took 2 taxi rides on the whole trip.) 

Greece is also amazing for a mix of culture/beach/outdoors.  Love the islands.  

Or you could go to England/Scotland for cooler weather, but you'd probably have to scratch the beach idea for a May trip.

I LOVE Hawaii, but it is really a different kind of trip than going to Europe.  It will really depend what you are looking for.

I've never been to the Caribbean, so no input there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful. I definitely like the idea of doing both, and Italy sounds amazing. That is a good idea about the B&B because we have had good luck with them in the past with other smaller trips.

Also interesting about the tradewinds in Aruba because I have not heard about them.

I am getting so excited, thanks for the ideas!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Went to Amsterdam in May 2007 for our honeymoon. It was in the mid 70's every day. Perfect, just perfect. And light out until 10pm every night, so lots of time to do things and it helped with the jet lag.
    I don't mind the low 80's but anything above that and I'm miserable. I don't mind the cold but I can't deal with heat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have to second Liz's thoughts about the trade winds in Aruba. My DH HATES the heat and was concerned about the beach honeymoon being great for me, miserable for him.  Yes, it was hot, but like Liz said he didn't mind at all - loved it actually - because of the constant stiff breeze.  You almost would forget sunscreen because you were so comfortable...almost.  Please remember.

If you want the best of both, beach but comfortable, go to Aruba.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have been to Aruba several times.  Yes there are trade winds so there is always a gentle breeze but let me tell you when you are directly in the sun it can be hot!  We alway rent a palapa (? sp) so we can escape to the shade as you can feel the sun scorch your skin and this is in Oct-November time frame.
    I have been to Italy and France once in June and once either late July early August.  The weather was much like here.  Some days hot some days not as much.  We wanted to be able to hit the beach in the Sorrento and Venice area so summer was the time to go. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I really enjoyed Cancun for a beachy + other stuff to do vacation.  We were there for a week and had a blast!  We spent a few days on the beach and the other days we booked excursions to the Mayan ruins.  I get bored of the beach after a few days, so the mix of beach + other activities was really nice.  We went to Tulum, Chichen Itza (both ruins, both beautiful) and Xel-Ha, which is an all inclusive park where you can go snorkeling.  I had a blast!

I have also been to Hawaii, which was also a great blend of beach + lots of activities.

I went to Italy in May a few years ago and it was *awesome* but the places we went were not close to a beach.  We hit Venice and the Tuscany region (Florence, Sienna, etc).  Weather was absolutely beautiful!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: Too hot! Now what?:
    [QUOTE]Went to Amsterdam in May 2007 for our honeymoon. It was in the mid 70's every day. Perfect, just perfect. And light out until 10pm every night, so lots of time to do things and it helped with the jet lag. I don't mind the low 80's but anything above that and I'm miserable. I don't mind the cold but I can't deal with heat.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

I went to Amsterdam this past May and the weather was NOT warm or perfect at all. In fact, we wore rain jackets and sweatshirts the entire time. We went to other areas in Northern Europe on the same trip and they were downright cold.

I also went to Barcelona in June 2006 and it was warm but not really beach weather most of the time.

Not sure where to recommend in Europe, but just FYI on my experiences in those locations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

how odd, maybe they were getting all that rain we got in June? it was unseasonably cold and rainy here too this summer.
    When we went it had rained a few days before and for a few days after, but nothing heavy. It certainly wasn't cold. I'll have to look up the averages for that time of year.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too hot! Now what? : I went to Amsterdam this past May and the weather was NOT warm or perfect at all. In fact, we wore rain jackets and sweatshirts the entire time. We went to other areas in Northern Europe on the same trip and they were downright cold. I also went to Barcelona in June 2006 and it was warm but not really beach weather most of the time. Not sure where to recommend in Europe, but just FYI on my experiences in those locations.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Here's the avergaes for Amsterdam:
    http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/28-amsterdam-weather#chart

It says 2 inches of rain is average for May. The temps we experienced were higher than those averages, it certainly was never cold while we were there. The locals didn't say it was unusually warm, so we assumed it was par for the course.
    I'd check out the averages for anyplace you'd be thinking of going. It's the best way to know what it's likely to be like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from C9dP. Show C9dP's posts

Agree with Europe for a couple of reasons. May beats the tourist season (July/August) so you'll get better rates flying over and at vacation destination hotels that in summer time charge like you're going to a Nantucket resort. Also daylight hours are very long, as most of Europe is at a more northerly latitude, for example, last year went to Amsterdam/Belgium in late May, and it didn't get dark until 11PM. In southern European countries, the weather is generally ideal, and the landscape is nmuch more green and not parched by 3 months of no rain.

Recommended honeymoon destinations with beaches nearby and warm (75-80 F highs) with reliable sun in May, and also very romantic - French Riviera, Italian Riviera, Provence, Amalfi Coast, Venice/Veneto, and Italian Lakes. Been to them all and there is plenty to do on a budget, especially at this time of year.

The Med is very clear so if you dive/snorkel it is gorgeous (except for Veneto), try the Calanques in Provence near Cassis. There is also a mini Grand Canyon called the Gorges du Verdon about an hour or so north of Antibes on the French Riviera where they do have a 600 foot bungee jump since you mentioned you were into adventure, and if not that much, just driving around the edges is knuckle gripping enough.

Basically all these areas are geared towards active tourism and romance so you'll be getting all you want at lower rates and with less crowds, although it'll still be pretty busy. Pick an area and rent a car so you can have some flexibility also, and you can merge some of these areas into one trip like the Amalfi Coast and maybe Rome, or tthe French Riviera and Provence, right next to each other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

[QUOTE]Pick an area and rent a car so you can have some flexibility also, and you can merge some of these areas into one trip like the Amalfi Coast and maybe Rome, or tthe French Riviera and Provence, right next to each other.
    Posted by C9dP[/QUOTE]

ooh, I love Europe, but definitely do NOT recommend renting a car to see the Amalfi Coast.  Driving along the Amalfi Coast is TERRIFYING and seriously best left to locals with a lot of experience.  I've heard that tourists are the cause of many an accident along the narrow switchbacking cliffside roads.  However, this is really no loss at all because the train from Rome to Sorrento is very pleasant and easy.  And there is frequent bus and ferry service connecting Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi. 

French Riviera is another great suggestion.  You might also look into Cinque Terre in Italy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]how odd, maybe they were getting all that rain we got in June? it was unseasonably cold and rainy here too this summer. When we went it had rained a few days before and for a few days after, but nothing heavy. It certainly wasn't cold. I'll have to look up the averages for that time of year. In Response to Re: Too hot! Now what? :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

We probably got opposite ends of non-typical weather patterns. Just goes to show that you really can never predict the weather! 

You would probably be better off in a more southern location if you go to Europe so there is less chance of bad weather. The Mediterranean sounds nice! I had friends that took a cruise but it was not that time of year. They had fun but not enough time in each location.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

A Mediterranean cuise out of Barcelona or Athens, or a cruise to Aruba out of Miami or New Orleans sounds like something you might like.  Also don't overlook small cruise ships that ply the rivers of Germany etc.  Something different to look into.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree on Spain. I've never been myself but everyone I know who's been raves about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thank you, thank you. You guys have such good tips I would not even think of. I do think we will get sick of being on the beach so many days so it is neat to hear about these other options and places we can explore.