Travel Agent Recommendation for European Honeymoon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Travel Agent Recommendation for European Honeymoon

Hi Summer2010

We went to the Amalfi Coast on our honeymoon.  I would highly recommend the Rick Steves Italy guidebook.  It was a huge huge help in planning our trip.  We stayed in Sorrento, and our hotel had a gorgeous pool in a lemon grove, but was not on the beach.  I would recommend it, but if beach is your goal, it won't fit the bill.  We did go for a a beautiful swim at a beach on Capri (went as a day trip) but there weren't any hotels near that beach, and frankly that was part of the beauty of it. Positano had a nice beach too with some hotels right near it.  We couldn't swim that day because there were a lot of jellyfish in the water.  We went rented a boat though and took it around the coastline--stunning views! 

The Amalfi Coast is breathtakingly gorgeous, but if what you really want to do is lie on golden sand and take in the surf all day, I would vote for Hawaii or maybe Greece over Italy.  Amalfi Coast has a lot to offer--we took some gorgeous hikes, amazing scenic vistas, stunning boat rides.  The beach was nice, but not the main attraction, in my opinion.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

You want beaches, you need to go to Ischia, Italy on the Amalfi Coast.  It is across from Capri but the largest of the two islands and not a long ferry ride from Naples.  Absolutely gorgeous.   You won't find better.   There are many hotels right on the beach in Ischia or you can rent a villa.  Check out Parker Villas for villa rentals in Italy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

Thank you both for your input.  I am definitely going to check out Ischia for beaches.  What about Sardinia, is that any good?

I should mention that we are not looking for a pure beach vacation because if we were we would go to Fiji, Hawaii, etc. But, we would like some relaxing time in the sun and to not be sightseeing 100% of the time :)

Jasmine, what was the name of the hotel that you stayed in in Sorrento?  Sorrento has come recommended as a centrally located place for seeing a lot of the sights. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yes, Sorrento is IDEAL for taking in all the sights around the Amalfi Coast!  We stayed at the Antiche Mura hotel, which was a beautiful hotel.  (Be sure to ask for the special Rick Steves rate if you inquire about booking--we got discounts at a bunch of hotels because of that book!) The pool is gorgeous and we spent a heavenly afternoon lounging beneath the fragrant lemon trees and swimming.  The breakfast is amazing too.  The hotel is near the town center, so it is great for strolling and exploring.  It is not far from the beach/marina, but you don't have a view of that from the rooms.  We spent our days soaking in the gorgeous scenery though, so it didn't bother us.  The hotel is on a dramatic gorge, which is cool.

Even though the hotel wasn't on the beach, we spent 3 afternoons relaxing near water--1 at the hotel pool; 1 on Tiberius Beach in Capri, 1 boating along the coast in Positano.

We made day trips from there to Capri, Positano, and Amalfi.  We saw Pompeii on our way over from Rome.  We spent 4 nights in Sorrento in total.  I was very glad we stayed in Sorrento, because it also had the most going on as far as little fun shops, restaurants, bars, etc.  I felt like we would have gotten bored for 4 nights in Positano or Capri.  Also, hotel rates were more reasonable in Sorrento. It was so convenient to hop on a ferry or bus from there and see the whole coast.  So all in all, Sorrento is a great place to stay, and we can't wait to go back!

The other hotel we considered booking in Sorrento was the Minervetta.  We opted not to in the end, because we wanted to be closer to the ferry port and town center, which was definitely the right decision for us in the end.  Just wanted to throw it out there though as another option.

...We didn't go to Ischia, since it wasn't as highly recommended by our guidebook.  And I've never been to Sardinia.

Let me know if you have other questions about Sorrento/Amalfi Coast though.  I wasn't trying to discourage you.  We absolutely loved it!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I'm going to try to post some pics.  Sorry if they come out really big--haven't figured out how to resize them.

Tiberius Beach on Capri:

Pool at the Antiche Mura Hotel:

Beach on Positano:

View of Positano from the boat we rented:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Jasmine your honeymoon looks gorgeous! Thanks for all the great advice!

Summer, I'm trying to plan basically the exact same honeymoon. Sightseeing plus beach, somewhere in Europe. I think the Amalfi coast is a great idea! We're also looking at Santorini and southern France (possibly a couple days in Paris, then take the train south to the beach), but haven't booked anything yet since it's still about a year away.

I'm going to contact the American Express travel agency (more as just a place to start than anything else), and will let you know how it goes. I got a recommendation for a travel agent in NYC, but she was working with a totally different price range than my wildest dreams!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Oops should have also mentioned Spain is great! I hear Marbella is beautiful, with beaches and touristy stuff, as well as other Costa del Sol cities. I went to Sevilla and Granada - no beach, but so much to do - and it's really easy to travel around that part of the country. The train system was pretty great, and most of the time was easier, cheaper, and faster than the buses.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

My vote is Cinque Terre!!! Its BEAUTIFUL!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stacyg. Show Stacyg's posts

Jasmine -

Your photos are wonderful.Smile  My fiance and I still have no idea about what to do for our honeymoon and our wedding is only 4 months away.  I have just a few questions.  What was the weather like when you were there?  Did u go during the summer?  How much of a difference does the Rick Steves rate make?  Where can you purchase his book.  Sorry for all the questions, but we have always dreamed of going to Italy and this place looks great.

Thanks.  Stacy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Stacy--We went at the end of May.  This is typically a season of warm but not hot weather, but we happened to hit a major heat wave.  It was hot everywhere we went for the whole two weeks.  All of our hotels had AC though so it wasn't a problem.  But you can find average temperatures online, or in any decent guidebook.  See:
    http://www.lifeinitaly.com/weather/average-temperature

The Rick Steve discount varied by hotel.  At the Sorrento hotel it was about 7 Euros per night cheaper.  Other places, it was a steeper discount.  At our Siena and Florence hotels, we saved us 30 and 25 Euros per night, respectively.  When you add up these discounts over the two weeks, it was a good sum. 

If you add in the time savings and solid travel advice from the rest of the book, plus the free Rick Steves audio tours we downloaded to our ipods before we left, I would say the book was a tremendous value.  It had great tips for avoiding lines and making good use of our limited time.

The guidebook is not at all obscure.  You should find it at any bookstore with a reasonable travel section (Borders, Barnes & Noble) or on amazon.com.

If you want more information about our trip (detailed itinerary, etc.) send me an email at jasmine51709@gmail.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What gorgeous photos, Jas!!!

I'm dyed in the wool AAA fan.  Never been to Europe myself, but if we ever do, I'll use their travel agents, again (we used them for Aruba and got great advice and a good deal).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

My sister (also my MOH) got me the Rick Steves book for Christmas!!  I didn't even ask for it but I did remember that it was recommended in this thread so needless to say I was really happy!

We still have not done any planning for our honeymoon and we really need to get on that.  It is on the top of my to do list after the New Year!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stacyg. Show Stacyg's posts

Jasmine - Thanks so much.  I really appreciate all your help and tips.  I def. might take you up on your generous offer of e-mailing you for more information, if and when my fiance discuss this more.  Def. going to get the book.
    Stacy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

In Response to Re: Travel Agent Recommendation for European Honeymoon:
    What gorgeous photos, Jas!!! I'm dyed in the wool AAA fan.  Never been to Europe myself, but if we ever do, I'll use their travel agents, again (we used them for Aruba and got great advice and a good deal).
    Posted by kargiver

Hi Kar -

What AAA location did you go to?  I'm wondering if all of their travel agents are as good/know where to go?  FI and I want an AI-Carribbean honeymoon but want to go to a travel agent to help us decide where to go...I think the Acton AAA is closest to us....thanks!