Where did you/Where are you going?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Re: Where did you/Where are you going?

I want to go to there. ;) Seriously, I need some Europe, I need to start saving.

In Response to Re: Where did you/Where are you going?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where did you/Where are you going? : That sounds awesome!  My husband really wants to go to Prague someday so hopefully we'll make it there.  We went on his first trip to Europe last year - Paris and Normandy.  Now he has the travel bug as bad as I do!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowren25. Show lowren25's posts

We are going to Greece and Turkey - Athens, Santorini, Crete and then Istanbul - just shy of two week altogether.  I am psyched!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

Thanks! We're really excited too! It's funny, my FI was dead set against going to Europe for just one week, but all I had to do was remind him that our wedding/honeymoon is during Oktoberfest and that quickly changed his mind! I've always wanted to check out Prague and he's always wanted to go to Oktoberfest, so we've got the best of both worlds!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Happy - If it makes him feel better, I think we went to France for 8 nights and it was totally fine!  Life would be grand if we could all do 2-3 week vacations but it just ain't happenin for me!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

We're hoping to make it to Italy for our one year wedding anniversary. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I am taking a two week HM and my work will not be happy about it. I mean I get two weeks off every year for vacay anyway, but they "frown" upon taking it all at once. If they really give me that much sh*t about it, I will seriously quite, I am not not going on my honeymoon over that! Give me a BREAK!

Ok, maybe I won't quite.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My job gave me a hard time, too.  What's important, is that you go into your supervisor's office with a solution as opposed to a problem.  Yes, they might have a hard time with the fact that you are taking all your vacation at once (aren't we all?), but go in and tell them that you are taking your vacation time to get married and go on honeymoon and mark off the days on a calendar printed up for them.  That way, if they have questions/concerns, you can address them right then and there.

I have to tell you, when I approached my supervisor with the days I needed to take off, they sounded like a lot, too.  I explained to her that it's my wedding/honeymoon (not just any other vacation), and it isn't optional on breaking the time up.  I was defensive at first, as well, and I did get the feeling of "I'll just quit then!", but then I went home, thought about it, wrote it all out, and breathed.  Went back into her office a week later with a solution, and it worked.  They don't want to hear, "Okay, here's the issue".  Find a positive spin on all the wording, and you'll be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ugggg I thought only have 3 weeks was bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]My job gave me a hard time, too.  What's important, is that you go into your supervisor's office with a solution as opposed to a problem.  Yes, they might have a hard time with the fact that you are taking all your vacation at once (aren't we all?), but go in and tell them that you are taking your vacation time to get married and go on honeymoon and mark off the days on a calendar printed up for them.  That way, if they have questions/concerns, you can address them right then and there. I have to tell you, when I approached my supervisor with the days I needed to take off, they sounded like a lot, too.  I explained to her that it's my wedding/honeymoon (not just any other vacation), and it isn't optional on breaking the time up.  I was defensive at first, as well, and I did get the feeling of "I'll just quit then!", but then I went home, thought about it, wrote it all out, and breathed.  Went back into her office a week later with a solution, and it worked.  They don't want to hear, "Okay, here's the issue".  Find a positive spin on all the wording, and you'll be fine.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

I completely understand Goodness. I think I am just nervous because I am taking all my time in September, which is a the busiest season for my company. My supervisor is very sweet, but she can be very stern. But she got married in 2007 and took 2.5 weeks and had to use up all of her sick days as well, so I am hoping she will understand. Thank you for your advice :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I am using all my vacation time, all my personal time, and there will be some time unpaid, as well.  I don't think I'm allowed to use sick time, which stinks. 

I'm taking quite a bit of time off.  Nearly 4 weeks all together.  It sounds a lot worse than it is, but this is the only time I'm getting married and going on honeymoon.  Finding alternatives isn't optional for me.  I won't do it.  This is all the time I'm taking... enough said :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

We just got back from St. John yesterday.  We went for 2 weeks, actually 10 days, then we flew into Atlanta and saw the Sox play on Friday and Saturday. Glad we didn't stay for Sunday's game.

Even though some people at work gave me a hard time for taking 2 weeks, I didn't care and it was the best thing we could have done.  I don't think 1 week is enough for your honeymoon, if you have the option.

We were also thinking Hawaii, but the long flight was an issue for DH too.  St. John was beautiful and so relaxing.  We got a good deal on our car and villa rental, but food and booze is really expensive there.  We basically went to happy hour everyday to get the cheap food and rum punch!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE Even though some people at work gave me a hard time for taking 2 weeks, I didn't care and it was the best thing we could have done.  I don't think 1 week is enough for your honeymoon, if you have the option.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

People really gave you a hard time for taking time off for your honeymoon?  Seriously!?

One person at my work said something about "how much time I'm taking off", and I just gave her a look like, "did I ask you?".  I think some people are too easy to judge and give opinions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[/QUOTE] People really gave you a hard time for taking time off for your honeymoon?  Seriously!? One person at my work said something about "how much time I'm taking off", and I just gave her a look like, "did I ask you?".  I think some people are too easy to judge and give opinions.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

My boss was cool with it, so it didn't really bother me.  I think they were just jealous ; )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Most likely!  Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Ok first of all...it is no ones business. Second of all, it is your honeymoon. And I completely agree that two weeks is perfect. We are doing one week of fun in Disney and one week of relaxing in Key West. It's two freaking weeks of the year...get over it people.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

P.S. My best friend is getting married August 1....she is taking the week BEFORE the wedding because she will be soooo "stressed" and then two weeks AFTER for her HM. I made fun of her for that...but only because she is my BF :)

So she is taking all of her 2 weeks paid vacay and then she is taking one week of unpaid so she can have a week of "rest" before her wedding. I was like, "Jane", really????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]P.S. My best friend is getting married August 1....she is taking the week BEFORE the wedding because she will be soooo "stressed" and then two weeks AFTER for her HM. I made fun of her for that...but only because she is my BF :) So she is taking all of her 2 weeks paid vacay and then she is taking one week of unpaid so she can have a week of "rest" before her wedding. I was like, "Jane", really????
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

A guy I work with did the same thing, but I know for a fact that he barely lifted a finger planning the wedding (his wife is my dentist).  Seriously, what kind of rest did he need?  Too much golfing and getting hammered with clients I suppose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where did you/Where are you going? : A guy I work with did the same thing, but I know for a fact that he barely lifted a finger planning the wedding (his wife is my dentist).  Seriously, what kind of rest did he need?  Too much golfing and getting hammered with clients I suppose.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

Haha, dkb! My friend will be laying in her lawn tanning for a week. Her wedding planning has been done for 2 months now! But to each their own, I guess. Oh and she will also be calling me at work 17x a day, I can count on that!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

My stuff was done way before the wedding too.  My boss kicked me out of the office a noon the Thursday before the wedding and said I was too calm.  I had planned on taking Friday off, and figured I would leave early on Thursday but was in no big rush, no one was getting here until 4 anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Wendy that is fine. Taking Thurs and Fri off is normal...but the whole week??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think some people just need the mental health breaks.  Maybe she needs time to prepare and realize that in a week, she'll be a married woman.  A lot of women deal with marriage in different ways.  I'm sure she's excited and happy to get married, but there's also a feeling of loss there.  Losing her "single" identity.  She'll still be independent and have her identity, but it's different, and hard to explain, I'm sure.  Realizing you will never really be "alone" again.  A lot to deal with in the last week of single-hood.  I just really think people deal with things in different ways.  If she feels the need to take the entire week off prior to getting married, then that's fine.  It's her vacation/unpaid time, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

We're getting married Saturday, 8/8.  I'm taking Thursday and Friday off, and then coming back to work on Monday 8/10.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy.  :)

I'll probably take another day off the following week to go to the SS office and RMV for the name change (we know how long the wait can be at those places).  Then taking some time off for the honeymoon first week of October.  I don't get a ton of vacation time, so I didn't really want to take more time off after the wedding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]We're getting married Saturday, 8/8.  I'm taking Thursday and Friday off, and then coming back to work on Monday 8/10.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy.  :) I'll probably take another day off the following week to go to the SS office and RMV for the name change (we know how long the wait can be at those places).  Then taking some time off for the honeymoon first week of October.  I don't get a ton of vacation time, so I didn't really want to take more time off after the wedding.
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

Hi KMT,  Just a thought - your marriage certificate will take 10-14 days after it is submitted to be ready for pick up.  I have GOT to request mine soon and get to SS!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where did you/Where are you going? : Hi KMT,  Just a thought - your marriage certificate will take 10-14 days after it is submitted to be ready for pick up.  I have GOT to request mine soon and get to SS!!

I never heard of that.  There was a delay on my certificate because the priest put a PO BOX address instead of a physical address...since my mom works at the church, I went to pick it up, dropped it off at city hall and was given my actual certified copy within minutes.  As long as city hall has the signed license, you will be fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where did you/Where are you going? : Hi KMT,  Just a thought - your marriage certificate will take 10-14 days after it is submitted to be ready for pick up.  I have GOT to request mine soon and get to SS!!

I didn't realize this until recently.  I was going to take the Monday off after the wedding to do the name change, then found out I have to wait forever for the certificate.  Thankfully my boss is awesome with time off; I can just call him in the morning to tell him I'm taking a day off.  Most laid back guy ever.  :)