2009 Brides (or earlier!): Have you received album? Where to make one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

2009 Brides (or earlier!): Have you received album? Where to make one?

Helloooo ladies!
    I'm not sure that too many of my fellow brides are still around, but I hope so :o)

I'm just curious if you have received and/or created your albums yet.  I was married in May 2009 (9 months ago) and haven't done mine yet.  It's my own fault though - not the photographers!  I can choose 90 photos and so far have it narrowed down to ~95.  I am almost there, just haven't given it much thought since before Christmas!

I also need to make albums for our mothers.  Any suggestions for a good website?  I have heard shutterbug is good.  Is it better than snapfish, for example, or are they all pretty much equal?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: 2009 Brides (or earlier!): Have you received album? Where to make one?

Hey Fram!  Not married yet, so no comment on the pro album.  However, I was thinking about doing our own album (rather than having the pro do it), so I was looking into reviews for them.  So far, it seems like the best value for the money is Adoramapix:

http://www.adoramapix.com/PhotoBooks.aspx

Their alums appear to be real flushmount photo albums (that means the pages are actually photopaper mounted to the page, much better quality/longevity than press printed albums like Shutterfly and probably Snapfish makes).  They also have thick pages and lay flat.  I've seen a bunch of girls on theknot.com use them for their albums and they have all been really happy with the quality.  The only negative thing I have heard is that their software to make the album layout is a little annoying, just takes a while to learn.  But for me it would be worth it for the quality.  The best part, they are really inexpensive, like $40 for a 25 page 8x10 album.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I used mypublisher.com to make albums for my mom and MIL. They're absolutely beautiful, cost about $50. It looks like one of those coffee table art books you'd get at Borders. And they're always having buy one get one and % off sales.

I still haven't made one for DH and I. I slacked on it the first year. I'm thinking I'll do one for our anniversary this summer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Here's the review on the knot:

Adorama Review 1

Adorama Review 2

Oh, here's the one I was looking for!  It has some pictures of her book at the bottom.

Adorama Review 3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 Brides (or earlier!): Have you received album? Where to make one?:
    I used mypublisher.com to make albums for my mom and MIL. They're absolutely beautiful, cost about $50. It looks like one of those coffee table art books you'd get at Borders. And they're always having buy one get one and % off sales. I still haven't made one for DH and I. I slacked on it the first year. I'm thinking I'll do one for our anniversary this summer.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

My wedding was last June.  I also used mypublisher.com (per Pinks recommendation) for parents and grandparents albums and they turned out great.  Still working on our album.  I had a bunch of prints made on snapfish.com (they look perfect) and I ordered an album from amazon.com but still haven't made the time to put it together.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

My wedding was in July and I haven't done my album yet.  I'm thinking about going with mypublisher or blurb.com.  My photographer can do it, but her prices start at $1650.  It's just not in the budget right now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I got my album from my photographer, and it is awesome.  Nothing I've seen printed from on online order comes near the quality. 

However, I have also recently ordered books from adoramapix and blurb and have seen snapfish albums in the past.  Adoramapix has by far the best quality of these options.  The image quality is a notch above--the photos are crisp and true to color.  And the pages are gutterlesss, so you can easily do beautiful 2-page spreads.  I found the software annoying, and you are quite restricted on the number of pages, but I would use adormapix again just because the photo quality is noticeably better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the info so far!!  I will have to check out adoramapix. 
    My MIL said she would pay the photographer for a parents' album, but I have no interest in giving that woman any more money, whether it's mine or my MIL's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, sorry Fram!  Are you still having issues with the photographs?  Was she ever able to resolve the issues you were having?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

we had the hardest time narrowing down our photos with our photograher too!  we had 605 to choose from and had to get to 80 for our album and 20 each for our two parent albums.  we let our parents decide and they did good.. we got them all back from them this past weekend.  we also got ours narrowed to about 85 and we are letting the photographer choose the last few to cut.  we trust them and really every single picture, all 605, we were happy with so it was hard enough.  we get the cd 6 mos from the wedding date so I'm sure we'll make more bigger albums then that encompass everything.

I also like My Publisher for an inexpensive but nice album. 

Mpix and Kiss wedding books are also good alternatives, little pricier and nicer.

Shutterfly, Snapfish, Kodak are fine for fun albums.. a friend of mine made one for me as part of the wedding gift and included pics of everything leading up to the big day.. the shower, the bachelorette, nails and toes the day before, the rehearsal dinner, and the getting ready morning of at the house.. it was cute, fun.  I also have used those before to make albums for my Nana of family pictures, or my now husband for gifts like valentines day, etc.. they are cute but personally I don't think for your actual wedding album.   Use something a little nicer for that and then have side fun ones from these sites. 

Good luck!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Trex,
    Nothing new really.  Just the several disappointments along the way (like the poor enlargements), but I will make sure I get to proof the album before it is finalized! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from helenmcdnld. Show helenmcdnld's posts

I'm using the one that my photographer showed us. Nothing comes close as I've done Blurb books and iPhoto books for some small family stuff for my mom. I'm getting parent albums. He told us that they are "clones" of our album, but only smaller in size. He gave us some great options and was willing to work with us when we asked for things like this. http://markandrewphotographer.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Hey Fra!
    Yep, another May 09 bride still kicking around here (although very rarely lately).
    We haven't decided yet whether of not to get an album.  We're in real estate upheaval right now & getting more "stuff" seems counter-productive.
    But I did make snapfish albums for xmas gifts & they came out really well.  I made 1 smaller book that I was disappointed in, but flip books & actual size albums came out really nice.

Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Argh I am trying Adoramapix for the second time and I cannot figure it out!!!!!  I am no expert, but I'm pretty good with this kind of thing and I can't for the life of me make it work.  I will keep trying though...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

yeah, their software is crummy.  have you tried their live help feature?  the person i chatted with was marginally helpful...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Jasmine.  I will give the live chat a try. 
    I really want to do it through adoramapix based on the great reviews, but I'll have to give up soon if I can't make it work!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

do you have a specific question?  i found the software annoying too, but I did get what I wanted from it in the end.  definitely try the live chat (don't email for  support).  the live chat was much more responsive.  ultimately, for me, i think it was worth the hassle, b/c as I said the image quality was truly a notch above.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have a lot of questions!  But thanks for trying to help. 
    For example, I really want to create my own template.  A lot of the wedding options don't seem to present several photos on one page.  But within the "create your own" I can't quite figure things out.
    Even just cropping the pictures is difficult.  A 4x6 photo is like a half inch on my computer screen - how am I supposed to crop that?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

fram--you can always add photos to a pre-set template.  So even if you select the wedding template, you can adjust the page layouts to your liking by adding photos.  I would make a photo box the size I want and then copy and paste it, and then rearrange the newly created photobox.  I used a wedding template, but changed up a lot of the page designs until I was satisfied.

Also, you can zoom the pageview in and out, so you should zoom your view very far in, crop it to the photo you want, and then zoom out.  You can see the image even larger if you switch to Preview mode, because some of the menus that are constraining the image size go away, so you can check your work that way. 

..hope that helps!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's too bad, Fram. I found MyPublisher's software very easy to use. and they also offer gutterless pages so that you can do a full spread.
    it was very much like Quark or InDesign. the only issues I had were that my photo files were huge and took a long time to upload, but that's to be expected.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I made a test book on Snapfish to check out the quality.  It's not bad at all, but I'm sure it could be better from a different vendor.  With a coupon, it came to around $20 for a leather cover with ~26 pages of photos. 
    Some of the photos look too dark on paper but looked fine on the screen.  Of course, I made my mother's as the test because MIL is way more picky!!!  I'll try lightening some of the photos in hers, if I make one on Snapfish.

Now that I have learned to use Snapfish, I'll give Adoramapix another try.  Maybe I can figure it out better now that I have a bit of a clue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Jasmine - I hope you're still interested in this topic because I am!  lol

I have a couple of questions about Adoramapix.  I tried making a book from scratch and I couldn't find anyway to choose a layout and drop the photos in.  Is there a way to do that?  Here is a screen shot from Snapfish to show how you can choose such things on that site:

One more question - on Adoramapix, if you choose a template, rather than starting from scratch, can you change a page's layout?  Like if the page automatically has an empty spaces for 2 photos, can you somehow drop more than that onto the page?  Is it complicated to arrange them?

Any input from those who have used MyPublisher?

Thanks a million!
    My SIL gave Adoramapix a shot and had better luck than I, but she chose one of the templates.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hi Fram-

It's not a drag-and-drop menu, but you can get any template you want on any page.  First, you can change the order of the pages by dragging and dropping the 2-page layouts that show you the progression of the book in the bottom panel of the screen.

Second, suppose you want to change the template on the current page to a template that is used on a different page.  Go to the page that uses the template you would like to copy.  The outline of the two-page spread will be highlighted in green.  Go to the edit menu and select copy.  Then go back to the two pages that you would like to replace with the new template and select paste.  Now you will have duplicated the template on the desired page.

Yes, you can edit the templates however you wish.  You can create another image box by clicking on any photo box and then selecting copy and then select paste.  You will get a duplicate photo box of the same dimensions of the one you just copied from.  You can then drag this photo box around the page, and resize it by clicking the white squares that appear around the edges of the photo border and dragging them.  And, of course, you can change the picture in the new box to be whichever photo you'd like.  Similarly, you can delete a photo from the template by clicking the delete button once the photo is highlighted.  When I am trying to arrange photos evenly on the page, I like to select the "Show Grid" option (in the bottom toolbox) to aid alignment.

If it would be helpful to you, email me at jasmine51709@gmail.com and I can share the electronic proof of one of the books I made, to see how I edited the templates and such.  I don't know how useful that is though.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. I had the same problem as you did with dim printing in my blurb book.  I didn't have any color issues in my adoramapix book.  They color correct each image manually to achieve the right light/dark balance (as long as you select that option--you can opt out of the color correction, but I wouldn't!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 Brides (or earlier!): Have you received album? Where to make one?:
    p.s. I had the same problem as you did with dim printing in my blurb book.  I didn't have any color issues in my adoramapix book.  They color correct each image manually to achieve the right light/dark balance (as long as you select that option--you can opt out of the color correction, but I wouldn't!)
    Posted by jasmine09

Wow that is awesome!!  A lot of my photos are too dark, so auto correct would be fantastic.  I'll pass that along to my SIL - she hasn't completed/ordered her album yet.