7/31/09 Wedding Review!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

7/31/09 Wedding Review!

Hey everyone, Friday was perfect and it went by soooo fast! It rained so we couldn't have the ceremony outside like we had planned, but it was awesome anyway! It cleared up and we did pictures outside. We leave for Hawaii on Saturday!

Grading rubric
    A = Awesome
    B = Okay
    C = Meh
    D & lower = Fierce wretched

Ceremony & Reception: Promises to Keep
     Derry, NH www.promisesnh.com 
    You can tell that weddings are what they do and that they've perfected their methods. They're organized, easy to work with, accommodating, and professional. My parents were in town for a couple days last month and decided on a whim to visit Promises because they hadn't seen it. The coordinator welcomed them in and gave them a full tour even though my parents showed up unannounced! My mom and dad were just going to drive by, so the full tour was unexpected. They also have this great vendor package and will take care of the details for the cake, centerpieces, limo, and DJ. That kept costs down too. Our ceremony was going to be outside in their gazebo, but it rained and we had to do it inside. They set it up beautifully though, and at that point I was too excited to care anyway! It cleared up after the ceremony and we took pictures in their garden with the gazebo and the koi pond. I could go on and on about Promises, so if you want more details, let me know!

Photog: Kevin Jacobus kevinjacobusphoto.com A+
    He should be way more expensive than he is, lol! He did our engagement photos and wedding photos. Haven't seen the wedding photos yet, but the engagement shots turned out awesome. We were nervous about doing them, but he made us feel really comfortable. He was awesome at the wedding, too, and I can't wait to see the photos. 

Makeup: Brea Cherne makeupbybrea.com   A+
    Brea is fantastic. Everyone loved their makeup and she's just a cool person. She gives you a lipstick to keep and a sheet with all of the makeup she used for you. My MOH and Brea also found out that they have a mutual friend and bonded over that connection!

Hair: Aiden James salon A+ www.fourwaterstreet.com Nashua, NH
     I started with Kymm Devlin (Grade: F), which was an awful mess, then switched to this salon. Rachel, the owner, is great. I loved what she did at the trial and on the day of she made a suggestion to change it a little and it looked even better. I'm calling her after my honeymoon for regular haircuts!

Justice of the Peace: John & Cathy Scuto A+
     blueskyweddings.com
    John is the JP (although Cathy is certified) and Cathy is basically the details person; makes sure set up is good, etc. They're awesome. They send you this ginormous create-your-own-ceremony binder. You can make your ceremony totally unique, totally traditional, etc.  

DJ: Get Down Tonight Entertainment (Chad Ardizzoni) A+ getdowntonight.com
    The DJ was part of our vendor package with Promises to Keep. Chad is energetic and we have similar tastes in music. He was hysterical. My friends wanted to take him home and use him regularly for parties. He was rocking out, pretending to sing into the mic, and our guests said that because it was obvious that he was having a good time, so were they. 

Flowers: Lyndsey Loring Design A+ lyndseyloringdesign.com
    Flowers weren't that important to me, but I *love* what Lyndsey did! She's incredibly inexpensive (I paid under $400), but I'm sitting here holding my bouquet because I love it, lol! Anyone know how to preserve bouquets? 

My dress: Marry&Tux in Nashua, NH marryandtuxbridal.com A+
    I love them! I had a pretty small budget, but found a beautiful, quality Maggie Sottero at this full-service salon. They have a huge selection, too. The customer service was excellent and they made me feel like I was a VIP. They even carried my dress out to my car when I picked it up and were just helpful in every way.

BM dresses: David's Bridal
     davidsbridal.com C
    It's a wedding factory, which can be fine--my BMs found inexpensive dresses that they liked, so that was great. We were ignored for 45 min of our appt, though, and at my wedding dress appt the consultant ignored the photos I gave her and only brought out the opposite of what I requested. They're just kind of a mess. But a cheap mess, so if you're willing to deal with the stress, you can save $.

Centerpieces: Flowers by Steve flowersbysteveinc.com C (for customer service)
    They were included in our Promises vendor package, but I wouldn't have used these guys otherwise. There's another flower place you can use, and I just randomly picked this one. Wrong choice. I drove an hour to meet with them for less than 5 min, and they made me wait in an empty room for half an hour (while the shop was empty). Then 3 min into my 5-min meeting, the owner comes in, interrupting my meeting to talk to the consultant about another client in front of me while I sat there awkwardly. I just thought it was unprofessional. The centerpieces were nice, but I wouldn't deal with the place again.

Cake: Jaques Fine European Pastries A+ jaquespastries.com
    Also in our venue package, and I'm sooo happy they were! Their cakes are delicious masterpieces. At our tasting they covered the table with a ton of different cakes and fillings; I couldn't believe how many options there were. We have some leftover cake and I can't wait to eat it. 

Tuxes: MW Tux B mwtux.com
    They're all over the country and you can easily coordinate for guys out of state, which worked perfectly for us. The upstate NY store messed up, though, and gave the groomsman and best man the wrong pants. They were a totally different style and when we told the NH store about it, the guy was shocked. He said that the computer shows an error message that the tux doesn't match and you have to manually override it. The NY store overnighted the right pants to NH, so everything worked out, but it was touch-and-go for a while there. 

Limo: Black Tie Limo A+ blacktielimo.com
    Also a part of our Promises package. They were on time, friendly, and professional.

Rings: Blue Nile bluenile.com A+
    They're easy to use, less expensive than a lot of places I've seen, guarantee quality, and have a helpful customer service hotline. My ring size is 3.5, so it's a special order, and they were great about it. We got a discount on wedding rings because FI got my e-ring from them. 

Seamstress: A Stitch in Time by Lourdes (Nashua, NH) A+
    Lourdes is a magician. She was very pleasant to work with and did a fantastic job, especially on my complicated bustle (which had 9 parts). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diana6628. Show Diana6628's posts

Re: 7/31/09 Wedding Review!

You are SUPERWOMAN posting this so fast.  I wish I had your org skills!  Thanks for sharing.
    Your day sounded so wonderful! 

Aloha!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Sounds like a wonderful day!  Congrats!  I used Brea too and she is fantastic. :)

Have a fantastic time in Hawaii!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Congrats I am glad you enjoyed your day, and enjoy Hawaii

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Sounds like the perfect day! :)

P.S. you have tiny fingers!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Yay, WPP! So happy for you! I thought about on Friday when it was raining, I am glad it didn't spoil your day! Congrats! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

sounds like things went well and you had a good time! 

I am using John Scuto and his wife also - so glad to hear that you gave them an a+ :) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

congratulations!  So glad you had a wonderful time!  What was your "favorite moment"?  Glad the rain didn't dampen your day! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Laughing I remember talking about small ring sizes with you before, I'm a size 4!
    Congrats WPP- I'm so glad the rain didn't phase you at all! It sounds like everything was lovely. Have a great time in Hawaii!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Congrats!

I didn't even know a size 3.5 existed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Congratulations WPP!!!  Sounds like things went well.  I second Cos - any favorite moments??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

lol, I have ET fingers! Boston, you will *not* be disppointed with John and Cathy. They're so organized and just genuinely good people.

Oh, I loved reading the favorite moment stories too....what where the other ones people posted? Favorite moment, what they would change, and something else?

It's hard to pick a favorite moment--the whole thing was amazing--but when I started walking down the aisle, I focused on DH's (!!!) face. He had the best expression ever. I got up there next him and he whispered, "You look beautiful" and a tear slid down his cheek. Oh man, I'm about to cry just thinking about it! I was staring at him thinking, "This is the first day of the rest of my life and I've never been this happy."

For what I would change...hmm...maybe the weather, but it all worked out anyway. Oh, I did a college friends photo and I was in such a whirlwind that I forgot to include three people! They were in the bathroom or at the bar or something when we did the photo. Kevin the photog reminded me to take the photo, though, which was great because I would have totally forgotten. And I think I would've scrapped my crazy heels altogether and just worn my wedge flip flips all night. DH is 5'11'' and I'm just under 5', but the flip flops were pretty tall and much more comfy than the heels.

I'm waiting for people to post photos on facebook and then I'll put some on here!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

WPP!! Pictures???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Congrats!  Sounds like a great day. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: 7/31/09 Wedding Review!:
    [QUOTE]lol, --but when I started walking down the aisle, I focused on DH's (!!!) face. He had the best expression ever. I got up there next him and he whispered, "You look beautiful" and a tear slid down his cheek. Oh man, I'm about to cry just thinking about it! I was staring at him thinking, "This is the first day of the rest of my life and I've never been this happy."
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

my eyes are burning!  That is adorable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Favorite moment, what they would change, and something else? It's hard to pick a favorite moment--the whole thing was amazing--but when I started walking down the aisle, I focused on DH's (!!!) face. He had the best expression ever. I got up there next him and he whispered, "You look beautiful" and a tear slid down his cheek. Oh man, I'm about to cry just thinking about it! I was staring at him thinking, "This is the first day of the rest of my life and I've never been this happy."
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Oh my, that sounds so indredible. That just made me tear up.

Congratulations.  It sounds like you had an amazing day. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Aww... so sweet! I got teary reading it too!

I don't think I looked at DH until I got to the end of the aisle (there were a few distractions) but we have a great photo of him just as I came out the door.  If I had seen that look on his face in person though, I would have lost it and been a blubbering mess!   :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Any way you were able to incorporate you g.pig in the festivities???
    I wish I'd been able to have my bunny & gpig with me, but I was afraid they would be uncomfortable.

WIshing you much happiness....can't believe you posted so quickly..

Well it's my first anniversary and DH and I are headed out!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]Well it's my first anniversary and DH and I are headed out!!
    Posted by somethingold[/QUOTE]

yay!  Congrats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

[QUOTE]lol, I have ET fingers! Boston, you will *not* be disppointed with John and Cathy. They're so organized and just genuinely good people. Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

So excited to hear that!  Kind of a personal question, so if you don't want to share, i understand.  Did you invite them to the rehearsal dinner and wedding?  We are not sure what to do. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Silly FYI:  I clicked on your link for John & Cathy and it gave me another wedding service out of Hawaii!  I was very confused.  I googled them and their webite is similar, but here's the right one:

www.blueskyweddingservices.com

Congrats!  I love your favorite moment, so special!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Kevin is awesome.  You won't be disappointed with your wedding pictures.  My daughter's turned out fantastic.  He does make you feel so comfortable and he is so reasonable!  Glad your wedding went so well!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Haha, thanks for posting the right link, trex!

Boston, we didn't invite John and Cathy to the rehearsal dinner or the reception. They didn't seem bothered by it; I wasn't sure what to do about that either. After the ceremony, we all walked out to where we were taking pictures. We said thanks to John and Cathy, chatted for a second, and then they left. John sent me an email after he submitted our marriage license with tips on when to pick it up, etc. I'm going to send them a thank you note, maybe with a photo of us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]John sent me an email after he submitted our marriage license with tips on when to pick it up, etc. Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Just curious; what did they tell you?  Did they say how long they expected it to take?  I'm trying to figure out when mine will be ready; I forgot to ask our Reverend when he planned on mailing it out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, WPP!!!!  Have a great time in HI as a MRS! :)

By the way, thanks for returning the scale to something other than a variant of an A.  Reviews that say things like this baffle me, "This vendor was not that responsive, their product was adequate but not great, and I wouldn't recommend them.  A-"  Sounds more like a C- to me.

Just a stupid pet peeve of mine that I should probably keep to myself but I won't. ;)

Welcome to the marrieds, and may the joy of your day extend into your lives forever.

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts