Barmakian Warning - Warning to everyone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Barmakian Warning - Warning to everyone!

I am so upset right now and felt I just had to write about my experience at Barmakian (Downtown Crossing) this afternoon.  My fiance and I went to the store to look at wedding bands.  As soon as we walked in the door the salesman asked if I wanted him to clean my engagement ring while we started looking through the cases.  I said sure and gave him the ring.  He came back a few minutes later with the engagement ring which I put on.  We proceeded to look at many bands and I found what I thought would be "the one."  We then left the store but decided to look at a few other stores just to shop around - we were not planning to buy for a few weeks/months. 

Two more stores later we head back on the T to home and stop off at the grocery store.  For some reason I noticed that the back of my engagement ring looked a bit yellow.  My ring is platinum so immediately this was odd, but I thought I had gotten makeup on it so I tried to wipe it off.  It didn't go away.  I then looked at the inside of the ring and realized that it said 14k....clearly not the platinum ring I gave them!  I looked closer and realized that the ring was four prong Tiffany setting, whereas mine is 6 prong Tiffany.  Clearly something I should have noticed at the store (I am actually almost in tears now when I realize that I didn't notice that sooner.)  I immediately leave the grocery store and tell my FI that we need to go back asap.  We call the store and they say that they gave me the wrong ring and the girl whose ring I have is at the store.  We take a cab back and go to the store.

First off, they don't even apologize.  I walk in, white as a ghost feeling like I am going to faint, and they shuffle us off to some guy who takes the ring I had and disappears for what seems like forever.  Seeing how upset I am my fiance tells the guy inthe show room that we need to find out where the ring is and he dismisses him and tells him not to be upset.  Hello, where is my ring!  Meanwhile, the girl whose ring I had comes out and asks if I'm the one who had her ring and says that she didn't even understand what was going on.  They come out with my ring but just hand it to me and don't even apologize, they just acted like there was nothing wrong.  We immediately left and I just broke down in tears the second we got on the elevator. 

I cannot believe it.  I'm sitting here on my couch and feel like I am going to be sick.  I feel like someone switched my baby in the nursery!  I apologize that this post is so long but I just needed to get it all out.  For everyone looking at rings or bringing your ring to be cleaned, make sure you look at it closely before you leave the store.  I cannot believe I was so stupid to not notice something as obvious as the number of prongs.  I was just so excited to be looking at wedding bands for the first time with my fiance.  Now I just want to cry.  If the other woman who was at Barmakian reads this, I am SO sorry to have caused you any angst.  I feel horrible and wish that I was in the state of mind when I saw you to say how sorry I was.  I just don't know how a reputable jeweler could be so careless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Re: Barmakian Warning - Warning to everyone!

Wow, thanks for the warning. I cannot imagine the stress that it must have caused you. I know that sometimes accidents do happen, but this is one expensive mistake that could have had a far worse ending. Thank goodness that the owner of the other ring was there and they found yours. At least they could have offered an apologie and followed up with a discount on a future purchase or something.......anything to make you happy.

Glad you got your ring back in the end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Colby, thanks God the switch had a happy ending. I am just amazed, that a reputable store can be so irresponsible. An apology isn' t even enough in my opinion.
    I would say though, you were part of the mistake. You should have looked, when they brought the ring to you.
    Like Dani said, they should have offered you a discount for future purchases. I am surprised they didn' t do that. That would have insured them, you possibly would come back to the store. Right now I believe, that is doubtful. I would send them a bill for the cab ride.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Pingo, yes, I was a big part of the problem and I am beating myself up about that now quite a bit.  I slept very little last night and keep reliving everything in my head.  I am glad to have the ring back now, not for the material posession, but for the emotional ties I have to it.   I cannot believe I neglected to notice something so obvious, but in my defense there was no reason for me to question that this would be my ring since it was very close in appearance.  Again though, my mistake and I take responsibility for it. 

I will give the store credit because they did give us cash for the cab, but that was because my fiance told them it was expected vs them offering.  They offered to do an appraisal of the ring because we were suspicious that the ring they presented to us was indeed mine.  How did we know they didn't switch the stone out, etc.   I know it would be a far fetched scheme and this is a very reputable company, but crazy things do happen.  In the end, we decided we didn't want anything to do with the store.   Live and learn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Colby, good your FI has sense to ask for the cab fare. But I think THEY should have offered it.
    Now, your story had a happy ending. So, please stop beating yourself up. Things happen. Like you say 'live and learn'.
    I have friends that have lost their engament ring in public restrooms, on the beach, in the ocean - and never gotten them back. So count your blessings. And now make sure you get it insured - if it is not already insured.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thanks pingo!  Yes, the ring was insured before my fiance even proposed so at least I do not have to worry about that.  He is far too levelheaded and prepared to not have insisted on having insurance!  One of the many reasons I love him!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry to hear this!  I've heard that the management in the Boston store isn't nearly as good as the one in the Natick (or Framingham?) one.  You'd think all 3 would be the same (NH, too), but apparently they aren't.

The Natick store has gotten pages of rave reviews here.  Maybe if you have any further trouble or want to shop for something else you'd give the Natick store a try.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

ugh, that is so scary - thank God you got your ring back! I can't believe they didn't apologize, you should write a letter to the owner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Colby - try not to be so hard on yourself!!  I'm sure you had wedding bands on the brain, and there's no reason to think that Barmakian would give you back the wrong engagement ring just a few minutes after you handed them yours!  Everyone has the correct ring now, so it's all good. 

I'm shocked they didn't fall all over themselves apologizing.  They should know that a bride and groom's word of mouth is EVERYTHING, yes even for a large company like them.  Especially downtown, where they are surrounded by a thousand other jewelers!

BTW - I went with a friend when she was looking at engagement rings and I found them to be extremely snobby and condescending.  For that reason, I did not go there with FI when we were looking.  That said, he ended up getting my ER at the Barmakian in NH, and we also got our wedding bands there!  I really think it's just the Boston store...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

My FI went to Barmakian to look at rings for my ER and he said they were very pushy with him. He found a ring he liked there but ended up buying my ring at Long's in Natick because he said they were much more patient with him. So it's not you, it's them! But I am sorry you had to go through with that! We haven't gotten my our wedding bands yet, but we will probably go back to Long's, they are fabulous there.

Also, once I was doing dishes and took my ring off and it fell down the drain and I couldn't get it out and my FI was out of town, so it was in the drain for two days and I almost had a heart attack, so I can't even imagine how you felt! I am glad everything worked out :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Don't beat yourself up over it, of course you didn't notice! Why would you think they would do something so irresponsible?
    That's really a shame. I'm glad it worked out and you got your ring back. They should have known the possbility of a mix-up with two similar-looking rings being cleaned at the same time.

I used to work p/t at a dog daycare and groomer. When we has more than one yellow lab or yorkie in at the same time, we'd put ribbons on their kennels to make sure they didn't get mixed up. One time someone forgot to do this and the wrong lab went home with the wrong owner. The owner didn't even notice until she got home. We never forgot those ribbons again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Hi ladies, thanks for making me feel like this was not totally my fault.  As an update, my FI spoke with one of the Barmakian's this morning.  At first he said the man was nice, but my FI said that in order for us feel comfortable that we felt it necessary to have an independent appraisal done on the ring to ensure that this indeed is my stone, etc.  My FI said that he thought Barmakian should pay for it, the guy refused and then became extremely rude.  It seemed like a reasonable request and something I had thought of as well.  So, I guess they don't really care about word of mouth.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

That's really awful. I agree 100% they should pay for an independent appraisal. See if you can't get in touch with the owner.

[QUOTE]Hi ladies, thanks for making me feel like this was not totally my fault.  As an update, my FI spoke with one of the Barmakian's this morning.  At first he said the man was nice, but my FI said that in order for us feel comfortable that we felt it necessary to have an independent appraisal done on the ring to ensure that this indeed is my stone, etc.  My FI said that he thought Barmakian should pay for it, the guy refused and then became extremely rude.  It seemed like a reasonable request and something I had thought of as well.  So, I guess they don't really care about word of mouth.....
    Posted by Colby2000[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Also, tell the BBB. Barmakian is a BBB accredited business, it is important to register your complaint with them so that they can alter Barmakian's rating, if needed, and help you to resolve your problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Small world- talking with a friend and she said you'll never believe what happened to me at Barmakian this weekend.   I had already read this post and knew about Colby so it was quite amusing that I had already heard my friend's story from the other side of it! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

I agree, you should file the complaint. Definitely do not feel like it is your fault. It is an honest mistake, and why would you ever think that they would not give you back your own ring. I would just be grateful that you got your ring back. It is a good idea to get an appraisal and that way you feel comfortable knowing it is yours, and you can put it past you. It was nice of you to post about this too because I think it will remind all of us out there that may not have thought to check the ring immediately either and now we will.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

ajuly09 - My fiance wondered if perhaps the other woman would read this post.  He knows how I"m on here ALL the time and figured that it was a possibility.  Please tell your friend how SORRY I am for not recognizing the mix-up right away.  I can only imagine what she was going through.  I would be interested in what they told her happened.  She must have been terrified!

As I tell people I am now hearing lots of stories about how poor their customer service is.  I wish I had known that before even going to the store.  I do think I'll contact the BBB.  My mom told me I should, but I wasn't sure.  Thanks for your suggestions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

Wow- your story is a good lesson for anyone! I have always been leary of having a "free ring cleaning" in any store, other than where my e ring was purchased. You shouldn't be hard on yourself- you just don't expect something like that to happen. 

The BBB is worth a shot, but it's really not much to go by. The companies that have the BBB seal pay for that "privilege", and from what I have seen, the companies who pay for the seal get their cases "resolved" no matter what (I went through it with a siding company, and I was never even contacted, but the complaint was "resolved").  But please don't beat yourself up over it- you did nothing wrong but trust someone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Hi ladies, thanks for making me feel like this was not totally my fault.  As an update, my FI spoke with one of the Barmakian's this morning.  At first he said the man was nice, but my FI said that in order for us feel comfortable that we felt it necessary to have an independent appraisal done on the ring to ensure that this indeed is my stone, etc.  My FI said that he thought Barmakian should pay for it, the guy refused and then became extremely rude.  It seemed like a reasonable request and something I had thought of as well.  So, I guess they don't really care about word of mouth.....

It is in no way your fault that this happened.  It's awful that it happened, but it does have a happy ending.  It's truly disappointing that they didn't apologize or offer to pay for your cab fare.

Both my fiance and I had a VERY good experience at Barmakian in NH.  I don't know anything about the Boston store.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

How rotten! Here I was thinking I could trust the BBB, and it turns out they've got their fingers in the pie along with everyone else.

[QUOTE]The companies that have the BBB seal pay for that "privilege", and from what I have seen, the companies who pay for the seal get their cases "resolved" no matter what (I went through it with a siding company, and I was never even contacted, but the complaint was "resolved"). 
    Posted by elmirag[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]ajuly09 - My fiance wondered if perhaps the other woman would read this post.  He knows how I"m on here ALL the time and figured that it was a possibility.  Please tell your friend how SORRY I am for not recognizing the mix-up right away.  I can only imagine what she was going through.  I would be interested in what they told her happened.  She must have been terrified! As I tell people I am now hearing lots of stories about how poor their customer service is.  I wish I had known that before even going to the store.  I do think I'll contact the BBB.  My mom told me I should, but I wasn't sure.  Thanks for your suggestions.

I will let my friend know.  She said she really did not know what was going on, and they didn't tell her much.   Sounds like they didn't handle that all too well huh?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Am I insane?  I don't get the big drama.  Yes, they were careless and made a mistake.  You got your ring back.  They should have apologized more.  But really, it sounds like you were a bit unhinged at the store and they probably just wanted you out of there!!!  :)

I'm sure it was unnerving but I hope you will take this as an opportunity for a life lesson.  Yes, you love it, but your ring is a thing, an object, that you might possibly lose in the future, due to theft, fire, or just misplacing it.  There will be many, many things in your life that you love that you will lose, some even more precious than your engagement ring, such as your parents, your siblings, and even your DH.   You will need to cope with these losses and prepare yourself to cope with them.

Therefore, I hope you will see that your reaction was a bit over the top, there was no need to get hysterical, shaking and crying as you wrote the post hours later, etc. etc.  I'm not saying this to criticize, honest!  I'm just saying that you need to prepare for life's hard lessons.  Be upset, be angry, whatever, but in the end, I would have handled it as a "wow, I was so lucky this weekend" experience, not as a "my baby got switched at birth" incident!  Just my two cents.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]My FI went to Barmakian to look at rings for my ER and he said they were very pushy with him. He found a ring he liked there but ended up buying my ring at Long's in Natick because he said they were much more patient with him. So it's not you, it's them! But I am sorry you had to go through with that! We haven't gotten my our wedding bands yet, but we will probably go back to Long's, they are fabulous there. Also, once I was doing dishes and took my ring off and it fell down the drain and I couldn't get it out and my FI was out of town, so it was in the drain for two days and I almost had a heart attack, so I can't even imagine how you felt! I am glad everything worked out :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

We had a bad experience with them too (downtown crossing store).  When FI was shopping around for my engagement ring, he went in and told them his budget and they scoffed at him.  He said they showed him just a bunch of bands and told him that is all they had in his price range.  He ended up buying a beautiful diamond from a store upstairs (Adco Diamond).  I love it!

So sorry you went through that!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, the Natick store is so different!

I agree that the BBB is the big guns, and that while this was scary and disappointing, it doesn't rise to the level of being reported to the BBB.  In fact, if you do, they'll probably be sympathetic but not accept the problem as reportable. 

Something that should be reported to the BBB is like if they are selling platinum plated sterling silver as pure platinum.  It's a watchdog agency for purposeful deception and ripping people off, generally.  For a mistake and poor customer service, I'd say you've reported them enough - these boards are widely read in the Boston area.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Cosmo, I certainly understand that the ring is only a material item.  I have had many tragic losses in my life, so I do understand what is important.   Please do not assume that I don't recognize this.  At the time however, it was upsetting to me, as I think it would be to anyone.   I was not hysterical in the store, in fact I was actually very calm and polite on the outside, inside yes, I was nervous..  I will admit that I cried in the elevator after leaving the store - when it was just me and my fiance.  I don't think I'd characterize that as being over the top or "unhinged."  My intention with the post was to encourage others to be more vigilant so as not to make the same mistake I did. 

The story is over, I didn't report it to the BBB, and I'll go elsewhere in the future for jewelry.