best place to get your ring sized??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

best place to get your ring sized??

hi ladies!
    so i am in need of some help.
    my e-ring is too big - its about a 6 and i think i am closer to
    5 1/4 - 5 1/2 from one jewelry store we were poking in.
    since i've had it for about 6 months now - it really is time to get it appropriately fitted to my ring finger.
    My fiance did not buy the ring here in mass - he went to NY (diamond district) and bought the diamond and the setting there.
    he was actually able to get it the setting and ring straight through the Ritani owner thanks to a family connection. 
    the only jeweler around here i know that is an authorized Ritani dealer is Longs, but in talking with them = they send it to their North Shore location, alter it there, and then ship it back to the store you dropped it off in.  - ttl time about a week.
    so my question is - does anyone have any exp w/ longs, or any other jeweler that they can recommend for a ring sizing??
    Longs did mention it would be about 75 bucks i think...so i'm not sure if that is expensive, good deal, etc.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: best place to get your ring sized??

I think any reputable jeweler can size a ring.  I had one sized at Longs, though, and was happy with it.  But, they have different jewelers at different stores so who knows if you'd be getting the same one...probably not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I brought mine in to the Longs Burlington Store myself, and picked it up there.  DH bought it at the downtown store. It was worth the drive, i actually walked around the mall across the street for a while and came back the same afternoon and it was done.  They are very quick.  I actually had it sized there twice because it was still not small enough.   They a nice job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My jeweler is in Downtown Crossing and I think they only charged me $40 to resize.  I am actually bringing a ring there this weekend to be resized so I can find out for sure.  Turn around time was a few days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that sounds about right. DH had to get my ring re-sized when he bought it because he liked the setting, but they only had it in that one size. they sent it to another locatin, sized it, then shipped it back. It took a little longer than 1 week because they had to send it to NY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathanne. Show kathanne's posts

I was sized at three seperate places and all of them sixed me at a 4.5 -5.  when I got my ring it was sized at a 4.5 and was HUGE, I had to go down to a 4 and I am still questioning if I should go smaller.  The jeweler advised me to wait until summer to see how it fits and then make a decision if I want to go smaller.  He said a lot of people who get engaged in winter end up regretting going too small when summer comes around.  Just something to keep in mind!

As a funny sidebar, my ring was custom designed so it was created at size 4.5 and when they told me they had to cut it to resize it I literally amost cried in the jewelry store.  I am not sure how I though they were going to resize it without cutting it!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Oh and also, my ring is a Ritani setting as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My DH actually asked "out of the blue" what my ring size was.  To throw me off, he then told me his...a 10.  It didn't work.  I almost grabbed the stranger next to me and exclaimed that my BF just asked my RING SIZE!

He also, incidently, asked me what kind of metal I preferred for jewelry.  We were hiking quietly.  I answered, "platinum."  And, that was the whole "conversation."  I was dying to continue it. ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: best place to get your ring sized??:
    My DH actually asked "out of the blue" what my ring size was.  To throw me off, he then told me his...a 10.  It didn't work.  I almost grabbed the stranger next to me and exclaimed that my BF just asked my RING SIZE! He also, incidently, asked me what kind of metal I preferred for jewelry.  We were hiking quietly.  I answered, "platinum."  And, that was the whole "conversation."  I was dying to continue it. ;)
    Posted by kargiver

My SO asked me completely randomly one day what the difference between gold and white gold is.  Since that was months ago, I just chalked it up to his general thirst for knowledge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't dismiss it right away; no man "thirsts" for that kind of knowledge, believe me.  My DH asked me those things months before he gave me the ring.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

My FI had my ring in the safe for about 2 months before he proposed, and we started talking about it around Thanksgiving! I need to get min re-sized...it is a little too big. He got mine at Lux Bond & Green and they told me it would take 3-4 days to have it re-sized, so I am bringing it in on Monday. I don't want to part with it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

DH got me a silver tiffany ring for valentine's day the first year we were together. he brought me with him so that I'd get the right size.

so when he wanted to get the e-ring, all he did was say "give me your tiffany ring. I'll get it cleaned for you."
    I thought something was up but ignored it because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Smarrrrt guy.  Love it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Pink:  that was clever of him!  :)

My fiance stole an old ring of mine and used that to get my size.  Sneaky... :)  I have some old rings though that are too small, so luckily he stole one that still fit!

Come to think of it... we never had any "discussion" about what I wanted or anything.  He knows I prefer gold.  But he knew exactly what to get me and it is perfect.  :)  I kind of wish I could have gone shopping with him (LOVE jewelry shopping!) but he really wanted to surprise me.  And he did!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

thanks for the feedback ladies.  i went over the longs location in natick this afternoon and the lady there recommended large sizing beads @ 140 bucks vrs having it sized down to a true 5 1/2.  she thought it would be better b/c once the summer comes and you skin expands, a true 5 1/2 could be uncomfortable.  anyone have experience with this type of sizing??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

candice,that is what I am worried about, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I haven't had experience with that type of sizing, but I do have experience with swelling.  I have a ring I bought in August that fits perfectly that is so big in January I can't wear it.  If you find anything out that helps avoid this problem, please share.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from liverpool. Show liverpool's posts

I highly recommend Long's jewlers. I got my e-ring from them as well as our wedding bands. We had Paul Weber from the Natick location and he was fabulous to work with. Very easy going and nice. I would recommend going to Long's to anyone looking for a ring or getting one sized right.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't personally have experience with the beads, but I know a man with them in his wedding band that loves it.  I'd do something before summer so you don't lose it. 

Get a cheap ring that's the size you think you want your e-ring to be and wear that at night when your fingers swell even in the winter.  If you can take it off in the morning, it's the right size.

Keep in mind, too, that when you get your wedding band, your e-ring will seem tighter.  The extra width does that for som reason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I just flat out told my then boyfriend what size my ring finger was :o)
    Of course he still bought a 5 1/2 unstead of a 5 so you really can't win!

I had it sized at a local jeweler in Quincy and I think it was like $25 bucks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

hi ladies!
    just wanted to give you an update.  i went to longs this weekend and i did have large sizing beads (in platinum) put in the ring.  it fits MUCH better now and does not roll around.
    its not cheap - 140 bucks, and i have the same sentiment as some other posters - Longs had great service, and i used their Braintree location.
    thanks so much for all your feedback!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I had mine sized at Kay Jewelers for $30.