Brazilian Wax Anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Brazilian Wax Anyone?

I've noticed a lot of you have questions or comments about waxing so I thought I would recommend two fabulous women that I've been going to for years now.  Both women are Brazilian and have been doing this for many, many years and I know that they are confident in what they do.  I have been going to them for over 8 years and I can vouche that they are both sweethearts.

For those of you closer to Arlington, Ma:
    You can go to Laura at Infinity Beauty Salon on Mass Ave.
    http://infbeautysalon.com/

Laura is the proud owner of Infinity Beauty.  I started going to Laura when I was just 17 and was scared to take even just a little bit off for my wax.  She worked with me for some time before I just got the courage to take it all off.  I've never looked back since.  She's also done my manicure and pedicure forever.  My pedicure can be tough sometimes (in-grown nails) and I trust her enough her to always get the job done.  I have never done my wax with anyone else at the salon so I can't give an opinion on them.  I've done my nails with one other girl there and she also did a nice job.

For those of you closer to Malden, Ma:
    You can go to Diva (yes, that's her legal name, lol) at
    Marcia's Beauty Palace
    452 Ferry St
    Malden, MA 02148-7850

I started going to Diva around the same time I started going to Laura, but not for the same procedures.  I started going to Diva for my eyebrows.  Diva does not wax eyebrows (unless you request it and she hates waxing eyebrows), but instead does eyebrows with tweezers.  I worry about the sensitive skin around the eyes and what the constant pull of waxing can do to that delicate area overtime (ie. sagging).  Diva instead takes the time (usually about 30 minutes) to carefully sculpt your eyebrows to your facial features so that you always have a natural look.  It seems pretty daunting to some to sit there for 30 mins and have each hair pulled out one at a time, but you get used to it, just like you would waxing.  You also leave with less of a red mark across your face like you usally do with waxing.  I've recommended several of my friends to her and no one has ever left unsatisfied and always go back.  Diva also does my bikini area (with wax not tweezers, lol) and my facials and does a fantastic job with all of the above.  She is currently working at Marcia's Beauty Palace in Malden, but I can only recommend Diva's work and not anyone else's in the salon.

I have two women I go to because each does wax, but then each also covers the rest of my beauty needs.  If I go to Laura to get my nails done and I need a wax, I go to her.  If I go to Diva to get my eyebrows done (like tonight) and need a wax, I go to Diva.  I'm always covered no matter where I go! 

Personally, I've only ever waxed my complete bikini area (Brazilian) and in the past I have done my eyebrows with wax, although I haven't waxed my eyebrows in probably 8 years.  Don't be afraid of waxing if you've never done it before!  Pain is a girls best friend and the results are always satisfying.  I tell my friends all the time to remember that the pain is only for a few seconds at a time and that it goes away almost instantly.  It's definitely worth it! 

I'm hoping that this information helps who ever is in search of the right person to get their wax and/or other procedures done. Laughing

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Brazilian Wax Anyone?

If you want to do your own, I can't recommend Surgiwax Brazilian enough.  It's SO easy and the pain lessens each time.  The included pain minimizing stuff really works.

Oh, and don't do it professionally or at home during that time of the month; everything hurts more at that time.

P.S.  If you decide to go the professional route, the Surgiwax might be perfect to keep up with it.  It was MUCH easier and less painful after the first time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Oh and Diva also does amazing makeup if anyone is still looking for a make up aritist Kiss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

jdd, does Diva travel for day-off makeup application for weddings?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

I have an appointment with Diva tonight so I'll ask more information about make up for a wedding. 

I did my make up with her once when I was just a guest for a wedding.  She did a fantastic job and I was really satisfied.  I'm sure she can work something out for the day of make-up application.  I'm planning on having her do my makeup for my wedding anyways so this is a good question to ask for myself too!

I'm leaving work in a little bit so I'll definitely let you know by tomorrow if I don't get back to the boards tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: Brazilian Wax Anyone?:
    [QUOTE]If you want to do your own, I can't recommend Surgiwax Brazilian enough.  It's SO easy and the pain lessens each time.  The included pain minimizing stuff really works. Oh, and don't do it professionally or at home during that time of the month; everything hurts more at that time. P.S.  If you decide to go the professional route, the Surgiwax might be perfect to keep up with it.  It was MUCH easier and less painful after the first time.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Kar, I have been waxing for years at home.  I have only used Zip wax, and I've had GREAT results with it, and it's so easy to use.  I have read you mentioning the Surgi Wax a lot lately, and I'm intrigued.  Where can I buy it?  CVS?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brazilian Wax Anyone? : Kar, I have been waxing for years at home.  I have only used Zip wax, and I've had GREAT results with it, and it's so easy to use.  I have read you mentioning the Surgi Wax a lot lately, and I'm intrigued.  Where can I buy it?  CVS?
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

If you've had great results with Zip wax, I'm reluctant to say to switch, but, hey, I guess it couldn't hurt - I do get great results with it, and it seems so easy.  Maybe I'll try Zip and compare.

Anyway, I can't find it at CVS, but I've had luck at RiteAid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Zip wax is great.  You do need to use a double-boiler, though.  I have been using it for so long, it doesn't bother me.  It's easy to use, and I am usually done with waxing within 10 minutes (if that).  I'm pretty quick when I'm on a mission and I do it all.  I use it for my underarms and bikini.  It works wonders.  It is a bit more expensive, though, but it seems to be a larger quantity than Surgi-wax.  I still feel interested in trying the Surgi-wax to compare (as you would for Zip).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Zip wax is great.  You do need to use a double-boiler, though.  I have been using it for so long, it doesn't bother me.  It's easy to use, and I am usually done with waxing within 10 minutes (if that).  I'm pretty quick when I'm on a mission and I do it all.  I use it for my underarms and bikini.  It works wonders.  It is a bit more expensive, though, but it seems to be a larger quantity than Surgi-wax.  I still feel interested in trying the Surgi-wax to compare (as you would for Zip).

I'm usually done in about that time, too (not the first time).  I'm intrigued, too.  Where do you get the Zip?  Is it a hard wax?  I'm guessing so if you need a double boiler...  I'm never using strips with soft wax again!!!!!!  Why is that stuff even on the market when hard wax exists?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I get Zip from beauty supply stores.  It's a brick (hard wax), and about $20 - $25.  I love it.

I used the soft wax with strips, and had the WORST experience.  I hated it.  NEVER again.  It's sticky and messy and hard to use.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I get Zip from beauty supply stores.  It's a brick (hard wax), and about $20 - $25.  I love it. I used the soft wax with strips, and had the WORST experience.  I hated it.  NEVER again.  It's sticky and messy and hard to use.

Don't forget excrutiatingly painful!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Exactly.  God forbid you don't work at lightening speed!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Goodness and Kar, this is a personal question, so you don't have to answer...but when you wax your bikini....do you wax "underneath" that is what I think would kill! I've been shaving for years and years....and do a great job, so I am terrified to start waxing Surprised

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

So I went to Diva last night and gathered the following information...

-Deep cleansing facial that lasts about 1 to 2 hours: $50.00
    -Day of wedding makeup application: $30.00
      She does travel the day of the wedding and welcomes anyone in the bridal party and wedding to do their makeup
    -Brazilian Wax: $20.00
    -Lip: $5.00
    -Underarm: $7.00
    -Legs: Half (below knees) $15 - Full $30
    -Eyebrows: $10.00

She also does an eye lash curl treatment (or perm): $30...love it!
    Eye Lash and Eyebrow dyeing: $10.00 for both treatments

She has over 20 years of experience and always delivers great results.
    She works at the salon, but its best to reach her by cell phone at 617.470.9371
    Let me know if any of these treatments interest anyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

jdd, are you kidding me? Those prices are incredible!!

$30 for makeup on wedding day?? WOW! I may have to talk to her!! Do you have any idea what brand she uses? Would she be OK with using the brides own makeup?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Goodness and Kar, this is a personal question, so you don't have to answer...but when you wax your bikini....do you wax "underneath" that is what I think would kill! I've been shaving for years and years....and do a great job, so I am terrified to start waxing
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Liz, I go way down to where I essentially can't see sitting down on the floor.  Beyond that, I trim with scissors to about 1/4 - 1/3 inch. 

P.S.  The first couple times I did as far down as I could see really hurt more than above that, but even that more tender area is used to it, now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

jdd01, I have never seen prices like that. Incredible.

My trouble with Brazilians is I like to have every bit of hair taken off, but it's rare to find someone willing to "get in there (and down there!)" and I'm shy about asking, "Um...could you please do my bum crack and way in there?" ! HAHA! Embarassed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

LOL READER!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I know what you mean, Reader.  It is embarrassing, but it's part of the process.  When I'm scoping out new salons to get that done, I ask them exactly what's entailed.  The place I go to call it "Playboy" or "Full Monty", which means they get EVERYTHING... and, I mean everything.  Honestly, I'm shy for the first few seconds of my esthetician seeing my everything, but it gets easier.  She and I have conversations that are so casual that I feel like we're out having coffee  Sealed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]jdd01, I have never seen prices like that. Incredible. My trouble with Brazilians is I like to have every bit of hair taken off, but it's rare to find someone willing to "get in there (and down there!)" and I'm shy about asking, "Um...could you please do my bum crack and way in there?" ! HAHA!
    Posted by Reader001[/QUOTE]

::KMT giggles uncontrollably::

I just love the wording!!!  LOL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

They have seen a million chuckies....what's one more?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Exactly.  It's no biggie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's what I figure, too, but if I can do it at home for a few bucks each time, even if I can't reach everything, I'm happy enough.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I do as much as I can at home without hurting myself.  If I want it all gone, I go to get it professionally done.  Otherwise, I might rip something off that's not supposed to be :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Just out of curiosity....is this something you started doing on your own or was it something you discussed with your Mother when you had "the talk"?

In my case when I had "the talk" we covered proper hygiene as well as hair removal for various body parts.  And while waxing legs, arms, face etc were discussed we never discussed the more private of parts.  That info I got from magazines etc and really have no interest in it myself.  I am good with just doing a trim myself with scissors, actually I have a special pair of scissors I only use for that process.   I know I got a lot of my grooming habits from my mother which is why I wondered if it is the same for others.