Cake Cutting Song?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Cake Cutting Song?

Hey guys, 

What did you all use for a cake cutting song??  we've been throwing around lots of ideas - U2 the Sweetest Thing, Only Wanna Be With You Hootie and the Blowfish, and even Whatever it is by the Zac Brown Band (a song we love but not really sure if should be cake cutting or just another time during the day).  I heard about an acoustic pour some sugar on me, not by def leapord but have no clue who it's by? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Re: Cake Cutting Song?

We considered Sugar Sugar by the Archies but ended up using Cut the Cake by the Average White Band

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Regarding Pour Some Sugar on Me - there is a piano version by Emm Gyrner.  Def Leppard does have their own acoustic version too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

We went very unconventional and had the "Conquest" cover by the White Stripes.  DJ said it was the best cake-cutting song he had ever heard, LOL!  The lyrics are awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'm thinking of using a song by Sarah Mclachlan, I think it is called Chocolate?  It goes "You're love, is better than chocolate... better than anything else that I've tried..."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was so focused on the cake tradition itself that I have no idea what song we picked!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Eat It! by Weird Al.  Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

In Response to Re: Cake Cutting Song?:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of using a song by Sarah Mclachlan, I think it is called Chocolate?  It goes "You're love, is better than chocolate... better than anything else that I've tried..."
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Great song!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

we didn't choose one, it was whatever was on the iPod playlist at the time.
    I didn't even know that people picked songs to cut the cake to. It makes me think I should record a song about cake for the royalties off weddings alone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesskl. Show jesskl's posts

That song is called "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

[QUOTE]That song is called "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan
    Posted by jesskl[/QUOTE]

I was just going to say that! :)
    we used "ice cream" for our cake cutting song too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

how about short skirt and long jacket by Cake?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We used "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson.  Really sweet song that I wanted to find a use for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

FI isn't into sappy first dance songs so I will be using the cake cutting as an opportunity to fit in either "Love" by Sugarland or "Lost in this Moment" by Big & Rich.  I'm leaning towards "Love" but we'll see!  We've already changed our first dance song 3+ times so I'm sure this will change as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm surprised you guys remember!  All I remember is everyone's eyes on us while we fed each other.  We were both really self conscious about it.  Not that we didn't enjoy the tradition, but what song was on at the time was the furthest thing from my mind even though I know we picked one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[QUOTE]Eat It! by Weird Al. 
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

That's GREAT!  lol.

We used Mac the Knife.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Love and Happiness - Al Green

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Sugar Kisses by Echo and the Bunnymen would be a good cake cutting song.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Great Ideas everyone!  Love all the options.. we did hear eat it at a wedding once.. although I'm not a Weird Al fan at all!!  :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

ok, the more i think about it, i think Long Skirt & Short Jacket is brilliant!
    I first heard it on Sex In The City and its about a hot woman
    And it's by Cake

Just Sayin!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

We used It Was a Crazy Game of Poker by OAR...love that song!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Why not just use the cake cutting as a brief photo op for your album and nothing else?  Wheel cake in. Cut. Click. Wheel cake out. (Prior instructions to caterer to cut and distribute to guests at the table.) Thirty seconds max and let your guests get back to the celebration.  We did it 30 years ago and not only didn't get any complaints, we got loads of kudos!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Why not just use the cake cutting as a brief photo op for your album and nothing else?  Wheel cake in. Cut. Click. Wheel cake out. (Prior instructions to caterer to cut and distribute to guests at the table.) Thirty seconds max and let your guests get back to the celebration.  We did it 30 years ago and not only didn't get any complaints, we got loads of kudos!
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

You fed each other in 30 seconds?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]We used "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson.  Really sweet song that I wanted to find a use for.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

We also just picked a song that we wanted to use in some way... It's one way to highlight a certain song.  I think maybe only 1/3 of the song actually played, since it didn't take long to cut/feed the cake.

Question about cake feeding: are you supposed to feed with your fingers (i.e., no fork)?  I think you are, because I think the whole tradition is supposed to symbolize "even if we are so poor we have no utensils, I will feed you with my own hands" or something.  We totally spaced on that and fed each other with forks.  It was only later that I thought about it.  Oh well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Cutting Song? : You fed each other in 30 seconds?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

No; we skipped all that.  The cake-cutting was not announced. We were told the cake was coming, we got up, took a picture, they took the cake away. I think half the hall missed it.