Candles4Less?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RisaKPurr. Show RisaKPurr's posts

Re: Candles4Less?

Are you saving any money by shopping online at this site vs. going to like, Michael's or A.C. Moore?  We have gotten amazing deals during their periodic sales and using their store coupons. Sometimes it is just not worth it to pay the online shipping fees.  YOu also don't have to worry about any of the candles arriving broken.  Just a thought...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Gonzo, candles are heavy - so $45 for 200 is not bad at all. I recently shipped off a box with homemade goodies to my son in Texas. $32 - and it was not a very heavy box. Shipping has gone through the roof the last few years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Seems like about twice the shipping to me.  Easiest way I know to check -  Here is a link to save-on-crafts page for boxes of 30 votives, you need 7 boxes (210) = 81.90
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/whitevotives.html

No personal info needed for a price plus shipping quote.

Figure by putting in cart, order 7,  below select Ground Shipping-
    I think they ship from California because they charge state tax for CA only.

For me in N NH - As far from CA as you get  
    Subtotal:81.90
    Shipping:  $21.39
    Tax:  $0.00
    Total:  $103.29

For my cousin's near LA address
    Subtotal:  $81.90
    Shipping:  $11.54
    Tax:  $7.99
    Total:  $101.43

Save-on-crafts  has great prices, excellent service, lots of good stuff.  Unless you are getting a whopping deal on price for 12 hour votives (Here .39 per in boxes of 30) ?

Before ordering- check with venue.  Some places do not allow any open flames, or limit numbers  to a couple per table- 200 is a lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Watch it with Candles 4 Less.  Inferior candles (to our usual.)

My sister gave us 2 of the big 72 candle boxes.  We burn them on the stone mantle, sheltered on 2 sides, but sometimes with the windows open 18 feet away.

Any candle will burn faster with a slight off and on breeze in the room.  But their 10 hour votives last only about 3-3.5 hours, until they are completely gone, sputtering the last 10 minutes or so (annoying and unattractive).  If we light them at 7, by 10 or so we are replacing candles to make it until 11 pm bedtime. 

Our 12 hour candles from Save on Crafts,  and those from Conway Candle Shop (local)  last a full 3 evenings,  in the same location,

If you are lighting candles for effect when the guests enter,  you will need twice as many candles to last for a 6 hour reception,  and someone will have to change all the candles after 3 hours.

My Stepmom has a dessert catering business, and does cake and pastry buffets  for weddings.  She says that means candles are of a less dense and lower quality.  She won't use the kind Candles 4  Less ships, because they last only 1/3 the supposedly 10 hour time they should.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if you can make it to Stoughton you should check out Ikea's candles.
    I always get a pack of 100 for really cheap to last me for the whole year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toffee. Show Toffee's posts

In Response to Candles4Less?:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone buy votives from Candles4Less?  I need like 200 and they are by far the cheapest on that site but the shipping is absurd - $45 is the cheapest.  I just want to make sure it's legit. Thanks.
    Posted by Gonzo130[/QUOTE]

I had GREAT success with candles4less... but I bought votives, flower vases, tiki torches and some other small things.  I didn't actually buy any 'real' candles.  Shipping was a lot for me, too, but the savings for the merchandise made up for it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Thanks for all your feedback.  I was planning on buying the votive holders with votives inside so very heavy for that many.  I may see what I can find in real stores first.  I've been avoiding the Christmas Tree Shoppe like the plague given the time of year but may need to venture in there and a couple of craft stores.  I like the Ikea idea too because I need pillar candles.  I'm allowed to have open flame, so that helps.  We're going to have the candles all over as part of the decor so if they blow out in 3 hours, that would not be good! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

I bought a bunch of clear glass votives and votive candles from them for my wedding two years ago and had no issues.  Company is definitely legit.  Although shipping was a little high, the total cost was still much cheaper than Michaels, AC Moore, Christmas Tree shops, etc.  Would definitely recommend them for the votives/candles.  They looked great on our tables at the reception.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Cool, thanks.  Maybe I'll buy one pack, test out a candle, and order the rest if they seem ok.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I was going to suggest the same. Buy some and try them out. But keep in mind, that if you need to keep replacing them, the price doubles or triples and they will turn out to be a lot more expensive, than the candles you can get elsewhere.  Also, how are you going to replace 200 candles during your reception and who is going to do it? Sounds to me to be impractical.

In Response to Re: Candles4Less?:
    [QUOTE]Cool, thanks.  Maybe I'll buy one pack, test out a candle, and order the rest if they seem ok.
    Posted by Gonzo130[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I got 6 inch pillar candles for my centerpieces at xmas tree shops for $2 each!  They are great quality and I've tested them out and they last forever - definitely longer than the reception!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Thanks.  I was thinking the Tree too.  Pingo, that's my point - I don't want to have to replace during the reception.  That's pretty much impossible and what I want to avoid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Gonzo--we wanted tea light candles that we wouldn't have to replace during the reception.  We bought several samples online and did our own burn-time test in our apartment.  Country Light Candles had by far the longest burn time.  They lasted through our 4 hour reception without a problem.  The pricing was reasonable too. 

Actually, we have about 40 tea lights leftover (completely unused--never burned).   They are plain white, unscented long-burning soy tea lights.  I could sell them to you if you are interested, but sounds like you are looking for votives, not tea lights?  Votives should be easy to find that will last through the reception.  We had to buy long-burning candles because we wanted tea lights.

Either way, here's the website:
    http://www.countrylightcandle.com/home.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not only does soy last the longest, it's a healthier candle to burn.  We used beeswax for the same reason.  They aren't the cheapest, but they weren't THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

In case anyone is interested in buying candles and followed this, I wanted to give an update.  I bought 2 sets - one from Christmas Tree Shoppe and the other from Candles4Less and they both looked good and lasted well over 6 hours in a test in my house.  I ended up buying the Candles4Less ones because they were by far the cheapest and got mostly good reviews.  I went to the Christmas Tree Shoppe before I got them and saw a bunch of candles there (and a sign saying they'd special order for weddings) so I bought them because of the not-so-great reviews about Candles4Less I saw.  At CTS, they were clear glass with the candle poured in and were $4 for 12.  I bought a pack and they burned well.  The Candles4Less ones came in and I ordered frosted holders with separate candles.  The candles seemed smaller but they still lasted.  Conclusion:  both the CTS and Candles4Less candles will certainly make it over 6 hours and I'm confident they will last the advertised 10 hours.  Candles4Less was less expensive and had more variety but I bet the CTS ones will last longer and are slightly better quality if you need them for more than 6-8 hours. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

thanks for the thorough review Gonzo130!  we will be buying the candles for our venue directly too (the venue would provide at them at 4/candle - so thats not an option!).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I actually now do not recommend them.  Many of the candles burnt out before the guests arrived at the actual wedding.  Fortunately, my vendor had candles and replaced them for me.  So, not worth the savings.  I was particularly annoyed since I had tested them at home and they were fine then!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I don't know if Gonzo did this or not, but make sure you test your candles in their holders.  The holders sometimes concentrate the heat, so they can make the candles burn more quickly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

wow, thanks for the feedback gonzo and jasmine! will make sure to test them in the holders and order a smaller set for sampling first...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I actually did test them at home in the holders - they came as a set.  When I tested at home, they were fine.  Some did last the whole night but most did not.  If you're using them for a ceremony, it's probably fine but if you're using them for a reception, I'd avoid!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

oh well, sorry gonzo.  I guess some things you just can't predict!  air currents can have a big effect on burn time too, and it's impossible to know how to test that at home! 

my only last piece of testing advice for the other poster is probably obvious, but make sure the burn is continuous.  If you let the candle re-solidify between burns, it will last much longer.