Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaDaBing-BaDaBoom. Show BaDaBing-BaDaBoom's posts

Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

It's probably a dumb question but what do you guys think? I've had friends get married and they said they tipped them - ranging from $50-$100 a person. I would think if someone just had 1 photographer /no videographer you should definitely tip, right? Given that you liked working with them and they were doing a good job of course. I was a waitress for years, so I know how hard it is working for hours on your feet all day! Just wondered what other people did, and if they did how much should you tip? 
    TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

I gave my hairdresser/makeup person a 30% tip.  But that's just what I felt he deserved, he did a great job.  I would say a 20% tip like you normally would for hair/makeup is fine.   Photographer etc. I'd say something like $100..depending on how many hours he/she is working...   It really comes down to what you can afford and what you are comfortable with. I believe we tipped most of our vendors.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

I don't understand why you would tip the photographer.  I understand that stylist, the makeup person and the wait staff. They are providing a service, so you tip them for that.  The photographer is providing a product.  You are paying a contractual rate for that product.  You are feeding him and paying his rate.  Give him a glowing recommendation after the fact if he does a good job, but I don't understand why you'd tip him on top of his rate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Tip the hair/makeup artist, but not the photographer. They charge high rates, so no tip is needed. You can write them a nice thank you note and give them good reviews, as ALF suggested.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

hahahahaha  i thought you were looking for "tips" to give these people! the way i see it, if the vendor owns the business, you don't tip. they set the rates, and if they own the business, the profit all goes to them.  but that is subjective, and still, people will tip them. (i wouldn't).  that goes for any vendor, photo, video, hair, etc. i think most things attached to the word "wedding" are already up priced, so i don't usually see the need to tip- but if you WANT to, then i guess you need some sort of guide. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertegris. Show vertegris's posts

In Response to Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day:
    [QUOTE]Tip the hair/makeup artist, but not the photographer. They charge high rates, so no tip is needed. You can write them a nice thank you note and give them good reviews, as ALF suggested.
    Posted by augustbride20[/QUOTE]

Don't tip the photographer.  Not because they "charge high rates", but because they are contracted, as mentioned by a previous poster (and often, self-employed, another reason not to tip).  Jeesh augustbride, do you make all of your tipping decisions based on the initial price of a service or goods?  I hope you stay at Motel 8's and eat exclusively at Applebees so you have a little left to tip the minimum wage server, if that's the case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I agree with Elmirag:  I don't plan on tipping anyone who owns their own business or is working "freelance".  That includes my hair and make-up people.  The hair and make-up are also *extremely* expensive.  You tip hair and make-up people when they work in a salon because most of the fee goes to the salon, not to them personally.  But when they come to you and you pay them directly, they are really no different than a photographer (they are all providing a service, right?).

Again, with the photographer, I'd tip them if you hire them from a company, but not if they are independent.

For us:  we plan to tip the DJ (works for Curtis Knight) but not the hair, make-up, photo or video who are all their own businesses.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I only tipped my hair stylist and my makeup artist. I felt like everyone else was under contract so they should have built whatever they wanted to be paid into their contract. Even though my makeup artist worked is in business for herself, I felt like she was WAY underpriced and deserved more.

I also feel that with your vendors that are staying for dinner, dinner is kind of their tip. It goes above the contractual price. My vendors got the same food everyone else did, so that was an extra cost to me and (hopefully) a bonus for them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I tipped my hairstylist (at a salon) and DJ (because he worked for a company, so wasn't keeping all of the fee).  I also tipped the two coordinators at the venue and an extra $20 for each server.  I used to serve at weddings, so I wanted to tip a little something extra.

I did not tip the photographer; she runs her own company so she kept every cent of her fee.  I don't see any reason to add to the thousands you already pay for photography/videography.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Elmirag:  I don't plan on tipping anyone who owns their own business or is working "freelance".  That includes my hair and make-up people.  The hair and make-up are also *extremely* expensive.  You tip hair and make-up people when they work in a salon because most of the fee goes to the salon, not to them personally.  But when they come to you and you pay them directly, they are really no different than a photographer (they are all providing a service, right?). Again, with the photographer, I'd tip them if you hire them from a company, but not if they are independent. For us:  we plan to tip the DJ (works for Curtis Knight) but not the hair, make-up, photo or video who are all their own businesses.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

I feel like that's a good guideline. It makes sense and seems fair.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day : Don't tip the photographer.  Not because they "charge high rates", but because they are contracted, as mentioned by a previous poster (and often, self-employed, another reason not to tip).  Jeesh augustbride, do you make all of your tipping decisions based on the initial price of a service or goods?  I hope you stay at Motel 8's and eat exclusively at Applebees so you have a little left to tip the minimum wage server, if that's the case.
    Posted by vertegris[/QUOTE]

there's a bit of a difference between a $5k photography package and a $200 a night hotel room or a $200 dinner. The photographer is charging you specifically for the service and time, unlike restaurants and hotels whose billings don't include much for the people who actually serve you while you're there.
    I do take into consideration the fee for the service before figuring out the tip. I tip stylists at small salons more because I know they're not getting paid as well as the pricier salons pay their stylists.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

[QUOTE] I also feel that with your vendors that are staying for dinner, dinner is kind of their tip. It goes above the contractual price. My vendors got the same food everyone else did, so that was an extra cost to me and (hopefully) a bonus for them.
    Posted by FriarGirl03[/QUOTE]

Dinner for your vendors is NOT a tip!!!!  That's crazy.  If they are working for you for 8 hrs (or more often in the case of the photographer), you have to feed them.  You cannot expect them to work for that long without taking a break for food.  If you don't feed them at the venue, then they would have to leave (possibly for 30 to 60 mins if your venue is in a remote place) to get their own food, in which case they would be missing key events that you want them to capture.  Most of them will have this stated in their contract that either you provide food or they will leave to get it.   You could have gotten them a cheaper vendor meal (ours are $35 for a hot chicken meal) rather than providing the same meal as your guests.  Most the time they scarf the meal down in about 5 mins when they can, it is not like they get to sit and enjoy the food.

Anyway, I'm not saying you have to tip your photographer (see above post), but to consider the food their tip is nuts in my mind.  Would you work 8 hrs without meal???  Food is a necessity, not a "bonus".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

No, dinner is not their 'tip'. It's a term of their contract. 

I just don't understand the tip concept for this kind of vendor. A tip is given for personal services, not services in general. This is why you tip a valet, but not a mechanic. One is offering a personal service and the other isn't. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Agree with the advice that ALF and others are giving about vendors who are providing a contractual service/own their own business.  And that dinner for your vendors is part of their contract, nothing more.  You feed them because you signed a contract with them that says you have to feed them.

Also ALF's last post pretty much says it all--you are tipping for personal service.  That's why you tip the delivery boy and not the person who hands you the pizza you have gone to pick up.

Only thing I will add--check your vendor contract with regard to the waitstaff.  You are probably already paying at 18% tip.  They don't usually need tips unless you want to tip them more than what you are already paying OR they have really gone above what is required.  And don't forget--its the job of wedding vendors to make you feel special, so above and beyond would be exceptional.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

We're tipping the catering waitstaff (though not at their "suggested" rate which was absurdly high!) but not the photographers or the DJ.  Our photographers own their own studio and they are the only "employees" of the company so all the profit is theirs alone.  We also won't know what the quality of their product is until we see the photos, so it wouldn't make sense to tip someone in advance if we don't know what we're tipping for.  If we like their photos, we will recommend them to everyone we know - and even everyone we don't know!  Likewise our DJ is one half of a father / daughter team, and they too are the only "employees" of their company.  We have contracted with them to do a job, so that is their salary.

We're not having any other "service" providers, so no tips are necessary.  Helps keep the budget on track!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Rap is right - why would you tip the photographer without seeing the pictures?  I can hear the music, I can see my hair and makeup.  Would you hand a mechanic a tip before driving away in your car?

Otherwise, I basically agree with everyone else: tip for services, not products (pictures are a product, driving the limo is a service), never tip the business owner,  dinner is not a tip.  I never thought about the DJ, but I feel like you're supposed to tip a band, and it's basically the same thing - the service of providing the music.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Another thought I'd like to add:
    I was undecided about whether to tip the two coordinators.  During the planning they were fine, but not exceptional.  I brought tips for them just in case and when everything was wonderful on the day of I decided to go ahead and hand them over.  You don't HAVE to decide about all of the tips in advance.

Excellent point about not tipping the photographer/videographer since you haven't seen the final product.  My photographer turned out to be about a 4 out of 10.  I'd be even more p!ssed if I had tipped her!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Ok so, can we please make a list of WHO we are "supposed" to tip? I am getting confused.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Ok so, can we please make a list of WHO we are "supposed" to tip? I am getting confused.
    Posted by augustbride20[/QUOTE]

Hair/makeup people
    DJ/Band
    Priest/altar servers (if you have a mass)
    wait staff (if not included in the catering fee)

If the hair/makeup people or DJ are self-employed or own the business, don't tip them.

You don't tip the florist, the photographer, etc.  Basically, if you are paying for a service, you tip. If you're paying for a product (even if part of the product is the person's expertise), you don't tip.  If you're not sure whether it's a service or a product, I've read a zillion extremely boring contracts cases on the subject, and I can probably tell you.  Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Disagree with Lucy --

Tip:
    The person who delivers the flowers
    The person who delivers the cake (if you're there)
    Your hairdresser - in the salon
    Your make-up painter - in the salon
    Your manicurist - in the salon
    Your DJ if he/she works for a company.  If it's his/her own company, a tip is optional.
    Limo driver if he/she works for a company.  If it's his/her own company, a tip is optional.
    Bartenders (if you don't let them put out a tip basket)
    Server who attended to you and groom

Optional
    Hair/makeup/nails at your hotel/home
    Venue's day of coordinator/function manager
    Musicians
    Soloists

Don't tip
    Clergy (charges a professional fee, like a doctor or lawyer, you don't tip them...)

Check all your contracts to see if tips are included so you don't tip twice.  Function waitstaff earn an hourly wage, not the servers wage, so you're not expected to tip 20% of your bill.

That's what I think, anyway...

That's what I think.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I didn't think about the delivery people- I think I was assuming all that stuff would appear by magic.  Yes, someone should tip them.  And I was lumping bartenders in with servers.

I personally think it's weird to tip the officiant, but I've seen that other people do it.  You also don't tip the caterer, which I don't think anyone has mentioned.  Most caterers are the business owners.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ok I am sorry to confuse here. I did not tip the photographer.. it was the band that we tipped. It was only a year ago, but still hard to remember now...doh. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not all waitstaff are paid a decent hourly wage.

When I served at weddings, I was paid between $2-3 per hour, just like at a restaurant.  It's possible your waitstaff is paid better, but it's also possible they are not.  If you need to know to decide about tipping, ask about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Cosmo:  LOVE your list.  That's exactly what I think.

Peonie:  I also found this website helpful.  Agrees mostly with Cosmo but also nice to see a bridal website agreeing with her!

http://www.frugalbride.com/tipping.html

PS.  I'm getting married tomorrow!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Yay!!!  Congrats TREX!!!  Enjoy your day!

Sections
Shortcuts