Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

WOW Trex, that came up so quickly... for me!  Good luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day

Congrats Trex.  Hope you have a wonderful day.  I can't wait to see pictures of your flowers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbc. Show justbc's posts

I'm sorry to say that I disagree with the majority here. A service is a service is a service regardless of who owns the company, therefore you should tip the photographer, DJ, hair, make-up, limo driver, etc. It certainly doesn't need to be some percentage of what you paid for your service or total wedding day, but what you feel comfortable with and can afford. You also don't need to give it to them on the wedding day, but can send it in the mail later on. If you're happy with the service and all the detailed work that goes into it, you should express that in some way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to say that I disagree with the majority here. A service is a service is a service regardless of who owns the company, therefore you should tip the photographer, DJ, hair, make-up, limo driver, etc. It certainly doesn't need to be some percentage of what you paid for your service or total wedding day, but what you feel comfortable with and can afford. You also don't need to give it to them on the wedding day, but can send it in the mail later on. If you're happy with the service and all the detailed work that goes into it, you should express that in some way.
    Posted by justbc[/QUOTE]

the photgrapher doesn't finish their work until weeks or months later when they hand over the prints and/or proofs and everything else. so, it really doesn't make any sense to tip them the day of the wedding. I hire photographers for events occasionally, and I know we've never tipped them. It's just not typical to tip a photographer. I suppose I might tip them if I felt they really went above and beyond what was stipulated in the contract- like if they stayed late at no additional charge or braved inclement weather, or gave us more prints just because they thought they were good photos. But those are unusual circumstances.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with Pink - a tip should be based on how happy you are with the totality of a vender's service, not for merely showing up on the wedding day.  Most things you can assess that day, but photography you can't. 

And, I happen to think that a photographer would have to completely knock your socks off above and beyond what you expected from their portfolios, i.e. they did a better job with your wedding than most others they've done and you're stunned by their spectacular photos, to get a tip.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Do or Don't-Give the photographer/videographer/make-up artist tips on wedding day:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to say that I disagree with the majority here. A service is a service is a service regardless of who owns the company, therefore you should tip the photographer, DJ, hair, make-up, limo driver, etc. It certainly doesn't need to be some percentage of what you paid for your service or total wedding day, but what you feel comfortable with and can afford. You also don't need to give it to them on the wedding day, but can send it in the mail later on. If you're happy with the service and all the detailed work that goes into it, you should express that in some way.
    Posted by justbc[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... interesting.   So you think that if you are happy for a service you already paid for, you should have to pay them even more?  Isn't that why you pay them in the first place?

I think a tip to a business owner should only be for exceptional service, as Kar and Pink stated.  You should get service you are happy with for the amount you paid already.  If they go out of their way and do something above and beyond, then sure you can tip them, but I don't think it shoudl be required.  And for most of your vendors, if you plan to tip them ahead of time then you don't even know if they how they will perform at the time.  I think in a lot of cases you should wait and send a tip later on, after you actually know how the serivice was performed.