Do we try to find a new florist?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Do we try to find a new florist?

Happy Friday everyone!

So here's the deal.  We chose Roche Bros. to do our flowers, since they're relatively inexpensive and I know they do a fantastic job.  My mom, MIL and I went in there a couple months ago to talk to them, they said they'd save our date for us and just come back about 2 weeks before the wedding to place an order.  They don't require a deposit and we haven't paid them anything yet.

So my mom and I called last week to find out when the floral manager (she does the wedding flowers) was working, and they told us we could come in Saturday.  We went in last Saturday, and she had called in sick.  So I left my list of everything we needed with the other floral person, along with a picture of the bouquet I wanted.  I was promised she'd call me by the time she came in Tuesday.  Still nothing.

I was thinking of calling today, but for some reason I'm getting a bad feeling.  I don't like vendors that can't follow through.  What would you ladies do -- just stick with Roche Bros. and hope for the best, or find a new florist?  We're getting married 2 weeks from tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Do we try to find a new florist?

I'd be pissed, but you know that's because I am so picky about flowers. I would call her today, and if she doesn't sound truthful call around to other florist. The problem is, you will have to pay more money. I do think though that in the end, she will come through, I highly doubt she will leave you flowerless on your wedding day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I can see how this would be stressful - 2 weeks out!  You could call another florist or 2, tell them your situation and your budget and see what they say. Then at least you'll know if that's an option.  I would also say call RB today and see what the deal is.  It's possible the florist is really sick and has not come back to work yet, or they didn't give her the message or something... Maybe they'll come through for you after all!  Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Maybe she or a child she cares for has the flu, and most day care and summer day camp arrangements have said keep the kid at home, Swine Flu fear.  It is legit to go to Roche Bros  and ask for her, or an assigned replacement.When I was living near Boston I went out to a Sudbury friend'w edding, helped with a party set up etc.  There were changes in numbers of tables, more centerpieces needed on short notice,  yada yada  and they really did have the time and courtesy to follow through.  Known for a good attitude.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Do we try to find a new florist?:
    [QUOTE]Happy Friday everyone! So here's the deal.  We chose Roche Bros. to do our flowers, since they're relatively inexpensive and I know they do a fantastic job.  My mom, MIL and I went in there a couple months ago to talk to them, they said they'd save our date for us and just come back about 2 weeks before the wedding to place an order.  They don't require a deposit and we haven't paid them anything yet. So my mom and I called last week to find out when the floral manager (she does the wedding flowers) was working, and they told us we could come in Saturday.  We went in last Saturday, and she had called in sick.  So I left my list of everything we needed with the other floral person, along with a picture of the bouquet I wanted.  I was promised she'd call me by the time she came in Tuesday.  Still nothing. I was thinking of calling today, but for some reason I'm getting a bad feeling.  I don't like vendors that can't follow through.  What would you ladies do -- just stick with Roche Bros. and hope for the best, or find a new florist?  We're getting married 2 weeks from tomorrow.
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

I completely understand your nervousness, kmt09.  If I were you, I would call and let them know that your wedding is in 2 weeks, and you would like to sit down with someone to go over the details of what you'll need on the day.  I would give them another shot before you go hunting for a new florist.  The last thing you need right now, 2 weeks out, is the hassle of vendor shopping.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

In Response to Re: Do we try to find a new florist?:
    [QUOTE]     Maybe she or a child she cares for has the flu, and most day care and summer day camp arrangements have said keep the kid at home, Swine Flu fear.  It is legit to go to Roche Bros  and ask for her, or an assigned replacement.When I was living near Boston I went out to a Sudbury friend'w edding, helped with a party set up etc.  There were changes in numbers of tables, more centerpieces needed on short notice,  yada yada  and they really did have the time and courtesy to follow through.  Known for a good attitude.
    Posted by whatawagSBNy[/QUOTE]
    She may very well be sick but the point is that if that is the case someone should have called her, there is no excuse for the poor customer service.  People get sick and companies should be able to deal with it. 

KMT you should call today and ask to speak to the floral manager today.  If she is not in then you should ask to speak to the store manager to have this resolved.  The store manager should be able to work with you to place the order by either doing it personally and if they are unable to fullfill the obligation then they should be able to tell you right then and there.  And if the manger does not have experience with the floral ordering (which s/he should) then the manager should be able to use another floral manager in another store to ensure the order is done properly.  Basically and order is an order regarldess if it is flowers or canned goods. 

Working retail there were many times that I had to place an order for something that we did not typically carry and there were policies that allowed us to do so even if we had never placed one before.  And if we still had questions after reading the instructions we were always able to call another store to walk us through the process.  This is not rocket science.

Bottom line if they cannot make you feel comfortable then yes you should call another store (Stop and SHop or a different RB or even a florist) and explain you trouble and see what can be done. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

I would say to call them today. You never know what happened - it could have been a misunderstanding between the manager and other employee. For all you know, the manager might be expecting you to call her. (Although, I completely agree that she should have called you since she missed your appointment!)

It doesn't hurt to call them today and if you can't get in touch with the right person or just don't have a good feeling about it, you can start looking elsewhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Find a new florist.  This happened to me when I was planning my wedding. I met w/ a florist recommended on this board and really liked his work.  I gave him a deposit and he told me he'd send me a contract to sign outlining everything we talked about.  Weeks later, still nothing. I left phone messages and finally got a response back promising yet again that it would be mailed out over the weekend.  Well, it never arrived, so I cancelled him.  He said he'd send me my deposit back b/c it was several months away from my wedding.  I never got that back either. Now, I understand that he was moving his shop, but I think waiting 6 weeks for a contract was long enough.  I went w/ someone else and was so pleased w/ them.

Long story short - go w/ your gut.  If you have a bad feeling, it's for a reason. I understand that weddings aren't Roche Bros stock in  trade, but if they have an appt, they should be able to keep it or have you at least meet w/ someone else.  She may have had a very valid excuse for not being there, but you know what? It doesn't matter.  She doesn't have a solid backup plan in place for any excusable absences.  That is the real problem.  Find a florist who does.  Good luck. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideMeaghan. Show BrideMeaghan's posts

I agree with the other posters, that it is better to have peace of mind, than to be stressed and worried about your wedding flowers.  My mom had a similar situation (not with a supermarket though) for her second wedding and ended up switching her flower order to another company a week beforehand.  So it can be done if need. 

Good luck with everything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

Hi Kmt - I’m not quite sure if each store has different policies, but we looked into the Roche Bros in Needham and their process was totally different. When we called to inquire about info and pricing back in March, they had us make an appointment with the floral manager to discuss our ideas. We met with her and she had a worksheet that she completed with all of our info, what we were looking for and how much we needed. She also showed us pictures of her work. She then submitted this worksheet into the “main office” and they wrote up the proposal and mailed it back to me.  I’m pretty sure they required a deposit. Anyways, for various reasons, we didn’t end up going with them in the end.  I’m not sure which store you are dealing with, but our first appointment with the floral manager was scheduled for a Saturday and she cancelled on us that day because she was sick. It wasn’t a big deal, because we realize people do get sick, but I just thought it was a weird coincidence that the same thing happened to us.  

I guess I would try to follow up with her again today. If you still can’t get through to her or you still have a bad feeling, I would start calling some other florists.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VanHassle. Show VanHassle's posts

Hi KMT,    I actually worked in the florist of a roche bros. years ago, and helped with weddings. They do a fantastic job.  

This is very unusual.  Most mangagers work 9-5 Monday thru Saturdays (with a day off).  If she is not in today-or you doesn't return your calls, ask to speak to the store manager and tell him you want to speak the Floral Director for Roche Bros.  There is somone who supervises ALL the Roche Bros. florists and the floral manager reports to (unless they significantly changed things, but I doubt it). My guess is she'll make sure you are well taken care.  

Please let us know how it goes.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Thanks for all your input ladies!  And VanHassle, thanks for the inside information.  I'm actually going to my parents' house after work, which is right down the street from Roche Bros., so instead of calling I'm just going to swing by and see if there's anyone for me to talk to.  I'll see what they have to say, and hopefully they can ease my mind a little bit.  However, if I still don't like the way things are going, I'll just find another florist.

I'll keep you posted!  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I vote for a new florist. Few things annoy me more than people who don't follow through--if I did that in my job, I'd get fired.

I had a similar experience with a hair stylist. We had a trial, I gave her a deposit, she said she'd send me the contract. I waited a couple weeks, then called her. She said "Sorry, totally forget, I'll send it right away." Okay, life gets busy, that's fine. But still nothing. Called and emailed her again, no response.

After two months of her not returning my calls/emails, I told her to send me my deposit back and forget about it because I wasn't fully confident that she'd show up on my wedding day. It took weeks and threats that I would post her name on message boards, but I finally got (most) of the deposit back. I found a new hair stylist and she's awesome--not flaky, sent the contract when she said she would, returns phone calls and emails, does good work.

You don't need someone at your beck and call, but I'm not interested in paying someone to ignore me so I can develop an ulcer over whether or not they're reliable.

Lyndsey Loring (lyndseyloringdesign.com) is reliable, inexpensive, and does beautiful work. She's in Dover, NH, but will travel.

Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I just looked at her portfolio, her work looks gorgeous!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Since they have a great reputation for service and their floral work, I'd get in touch with someone in charge right away and share your concerns and don't hang up or leave until your feelings have turned around.  This sounds very unusual for this vendor so I wouldn't be extra quick to write them off. 

However, if you can't get it turned around in 24 hours, waste no more time getting a new florist.

Best, KMT!!!

Sections
Shortcuts