Fake Wedding Cake Vendor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Fake Wedding Cake Vendor

A few of my friends have done it, though out of state so can't help you with vendors.   However, I think any cake place would do the styrafoam cake with the fondant on the outside if you just ask.  I know people who have done the fake cake, then got a Costco sheet cake to cut up and serve. 
     If you have an icecream bar, you will have plenty of dessert.  But if you have this 3 tierd cake and have a portion of it real that you cut up, people are going to expect to be served cake by the size of it.  THe whole point of the fake cake is so that you save money (and people don't know it is fake) and buy a cheap cake to cut up out back.  I would suggest just doing a small real cake for the two of you to cut.  THen people won't be wondering where the cake is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

We had a dessert buffet for our wedding (bars, pies, cookies, etc), so we had a cousin who is a good baker just make a normal sized red velvet cake for cutting. We still got great pics of us cutting the cake, she was happy to be asked, and we saved money on buying a cake just for the purpose of cutting...if you have anyone in your family who likes to bake, this could be a thought...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Unfortunately, our venue requires all cakes to come from a licensed bakery. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I would just do as others have suggested - just get something small that looks "wedding-y" from a bakery; if people see multiple tiers/big cake, regardless of the dessert served, people will expect to be getting some cake too. Something small you can slice for photos/symbolism (or pretend to slice and then you have it all for your first anniversary).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with Prill.  The sundae bar is a great idea, but if I saw a nice, big, tasty looking cake that was presumably coming my way I'd be disappointed not to get any.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Well jdd, from someone who has never eaten cake at a wedding in her life I can tell you to go for it!

It's not that I don't enjoy wedding cake, but whenever they serve it, I am either:
    a) too full from the apps, dinner and drinks
    b) too busy dancing
    c) some waiter just puts it on the table when no one is even sitting there, so I always miss it, and my boyfriend snags my piece!

I say, if you can find it, go for it! The sundae bar would definitely make me more happy any day! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I also looked into this because we are doing a big dessert assortment (cakes, pies, tortes etc.). 

With wedding cakes, the time and effort is spent in decorating the cake.  So whether a baker decorates a real cake or a fake cake, it is still very labor intensive and your cost wouldn't significantly differ.

FI and I decided to do a small two tiered cake since it is less expensive than three or four tiered cakes that serve hundreds.  That way we can still do the formal cake cutting and also cut down on costs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If the cake isn't a big priority and you aren't planning on serving a cake b/c you are having a dessert buffet, why would you waste money on a fake cake?  Isn't there any dessert option that you already have that you can cut? Otherwise, just get a small cake in a flavor you like, do the cutting and feeding, and then have the venue box it up for you to take home. You don't even have to serve it if you don't want to.  People are going to be looking for cake, no matter how many other dessert options you put in front of them, if you have a big, showy, fake cake.  Just get a small one and call it a day.  GL.1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could quietly make your sundaes and then do a spoon feeding of each other's to kick off the sundae line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I thought this post was going to be about fake vendors.

I have to agree with Prill that I'd be kinda disappointed if I saw a huge cake and then didn't get any (even though I do love sundaes a smidgen more than cake :-)

I think ALF's idea of cutting into something else is a good one.  I also like Kargiver's of feeding each other sundaes instead.  This saves money and conforms to the idea that you like tradition with a twist.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

jdd, I think that if people see a cake they will expect it. What about cupcakes? FI and I have decided to do the cupcake route and get one small cake we can cut. I like the whole idea of each guest getting one cupcake. I actually decided on it when I was at my FMIL's house and was in their basement and saw that she had about 20 mini cake towers just sitting around. I guess she used them for some shower like 10 years ago, and she is giving them to me to use! So when it is time for that, we will put 10 cupcakes each on the mini cake towers on each table, so each guest gets one.

Does that make sense?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Hmmm...I kinda like the feeding each other sundae's instead of cake idea.  I'm not a big cake person myself...I'll have to see if we could pull it off, lol.

But wedding cakes are so pretty :(  I can't imagine my wedding without one, even if it is small.

I guess we'll have to look at our options when interview cake vendors in a few weeks.

Ash - that's pretty funny.  I guess I didn't think of that when I titled the question :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wedding cakes are pretty, but they aren't merely decoration, they're very pretty dessert.  If you aren't serving wedding cake I believe you've chosen not to do a  cake cutting or have a cake on display at all.  If you do a cupcake, I'd wonder where the rest of the cupcakes were.  The only way you can have a traditional cake and cake cutting is to have a sundae bar and serve the cake.  Well, actually, life will go on either way and it's your reception and you can do whatever you want, but I hope you will either fully embrace or fully ditch the cake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Yes, I was trying to figure out how a person could fake being a vendor Embarassed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could get a cake that's on the small side that's all real and serve smaller than usual pieces to go with the sundaes.  Tell the vendor you want 1/2 size pieces so they get the size and price right for the number of guests you have.  Then, tell your venue (whomever will cut the cake for service) that you want 1/2 size pieces. 

Then, you get to do a cake cutting, you get the pretty wedding cake, the guests get the cake they've been oogling all night, and your sundae bar without breaking the bank on dessert.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

What about a small ice cream cake?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezesunshine. Show breezesunshine's posts

Timely thread. I was looking for a faux cake vendor myself and realized it is not worth it. So, what I am doing instead to stay in budget, is to order a round small cake (6 to 8") for the top tier, and then cup cakes for the rest of the tiers for our guests. This way my fiance and I will still be able to have a cake cutting ceremony and have the cake for ourselves, plus each guest gets a cup cake. One extra bonus - this way you don't have to pay for cake cutting fee either as some of the venues do charge for that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Now, that's an idea I can get behind.  You save money, your guests get to eat what looks like is for them, you get a wedding cake looking tower, a cake cutting ceremony...very nice, breezy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I like the feeding sundae idea, too.  However, make sure your fiance is VERY careful feeding you a big, dripping sundae while you are wearing a white dress.  I just had this horrible vision of hot fudge everywhere.

And I second (fifth? sixth?) what everyone else said - I don't really like wedding cake, but if I saw one, even with a sundae bar next to it, I would want to try it.  I would be disappointed not to get any.

Ash, I was trying to figure out how to fake being a vendor, also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

hi Guys,

Just agreeing with everyone else.  If I saw a fancy wedding cake and cake cutting, I'd be expecting wedding cake along with dessert.  And I love cake, so I'd be looking for it!

I *love* the feeding each other ice cream sundaes idea!  So cute and so original!  I also love cupcakes at weddings!  Very trendy right now.  Yum!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Yeah, maybe I should reconsider the feeding of the sundae idea.  My prom (wow, its been awhile) had a sundae bar and I remember getting hot fudge all over the side of my prom dress when I leaned on the sundae table.  I definitely wouldn't want a repeat of that on my wedding day!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Well, you could have your husband just feed you ice cream.  Or you could put on a raincoat immediately before.... Undecided

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Cake was not on my priority list either, but when I was researching, I was recommended to Sandy at Special Cakes.  She has been a pleasure to work with and was extremely understanding with our small cake budget. She owns her own business, and bakes out of her home, so she does not have overhead to charge and can keep her prices lower. We went for a tasting, and the cakes tasted fantastic! She is located in Sharon right across from Crescent Ridge. We originally were asking her to do the fake cake, but she was able to work with our budget, and now we are having a real cake, and I am actually looking forward to seeing how it comes out! Here is her website. I would definitely recommend talking to her.  www.specialcakesbysandy.com . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anything can be messy.  DH and I gave each other pretty small bites of cake so nothing would be likely to fall off the fork.  If you do the sundaes instead of cake, just be sure you both just get a little bit of ice cream neatly contained on the spoon. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Add me to the group, who thought this thread was a warning about a fake vendor. I imagined someone taking the money for an elaborate cake then deliver either nothing or a Costco sheet cake (not that I dislike Costco's cakes).

I am not a great fan of cakes or cupcakes and hardly ever eat them at weddings, so I would definitely not be looking for a piece, even if I saw a several tier cake on display. I like the idea of feeding ice cream w/o the toppings (you can always have a big bowl later) or just have a tiny pretty cake to cut and feed and take the rest home afterwards.
    It may look pretty and probably cost saving to have a tier with cup cakes on every table. But I am not crazy about the idea from a health point of view. The cup cakes will be sitting there for hours with guests coughing and sneezing freely on them. Yuck!

Sections
Shortcuts