Florist sample arrangements?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Florist sample arrangements?

Ladies, just wondering if it is normal for florists to show you a sample of the arrangement you've selected (a centerpiece or bouquet, etc.) before the big day.  I love my florist so far but would love to see how the flowers I've picked look together before the wedding.  Do you think its ok to ask for a sample, and how far in advance?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Florist sample arrangements?

My florist offered to make me a sample of my bouquet at cost, which I assume would have been a lot less than the wedding day price.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I think it is fine to ask for a sample and very common.  However, they will likely charge you for it.  Mine said she could do it if I wanted but would have to order the flowers, and I don't care enough to pay for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

I guess that is fair.  Now I just have to decide whether I care enough to pay for a sample before asking her.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't get any samples because it was a florist that my venue recommended.  They were perfect.  I'm betting if you like her work, which I'm guessing you do or you wouldn't have booked her, it's not worth any extra money to get a sample.  How ugly can flowers be if she's a good arranger (which you can tell from her portfolio)?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

My florist put a small sample together of my bouquet & the girls a week before the wedding.  I think it because I used the in season flowers so she was able to do it at no charge.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My florist (Jen from Tangled Web) would have done this for me for a charge, but I don't know if it would have been at "cost" or the same price as on the wedding day.

I did not get a sample and they all came out beautifully.

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

My florist did a sample for me about 1 month before the wedding.  He didn't charge for it as long as I was okay with the bouquet not being perfectly arranged and tied, and I didn't take the flowers home with me (so he could use them in other arrangements).  It did take considerable effort and some added expense for him though, so I don't think it would be unreasonable for him to charge.  He had to source the specific blooms I wanted for the mockup arrangements.  He did a mockup of the centerpieces and then kind of held the flowers together to show me different options for the bouquet.  Once we had discussed everything, he took a bunch of photos, so he could reference them in my file.

I had to ask him for the service, but he was definitely happy to do it for me.  I think they are happy when their brides are happy and this was really worth it to get everyone on the same page.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Reading jas's post prompts me to add that I wasn't particularly concerned with our flowers so my not getting a sample might not be good to go by if you are really into exactly how you want them to look.  Heck, I didn't even specify what kind of flowers I wanted or the colors!  I'd have been happy no matter what as long as I had enough of what I needed so a sample would have been a ridiculous waste of time, money, and effort in my case.  Not so for someone who has a particular look in mind, like jas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

SSBride, I don't think it's standard procedure for the florist to make up a sample - most use pictures.  Keep in mind that they'd have to special order your specific flowers so they would incur some cost.

I'd suggest you talk to him/her about your specific concerns, and you never know, some would probably do it at no charge or at cost.

Good luck! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

My florist did samples about 2 months out. Ofcourse we didn't have all the same flowers but it worked well anyways. I paid for my bouquet (at cost) and they did the centerpiece mock up for free.  I was actually happy that they did this because I did not like the size of the bouquet, it was HUGE, so I had them make it much smaller for the wedding.  That was the only reason it was worth doing, because I think my arms would have fallen off if i had to lug a bouq. that size on my wedding day!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I usually don't correct on here, but figured you'd want to know this one - it's peace of mind. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

I saw work that they did before so I was okay with not paying for a sample. They also had a great reputation though.