Flowers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Flowers

I have two questions for y'all...

If I were to pick my flowers up on Friday and keep them refrigerated until the ceremony on Saturday, they should "keep" properly, shouldn't they?  I'm assuming the florist doesn't go in to the shop at the @ss-crack of dawn to make a bride's bouquet!

We live in Boylston now (closed on and moved into our house last week!), our wedding room block is in Burlington, and the ceremony / reception are in Winchester.  I honestly don't have time to drive to the Burlington area to search out florists, so I'm thinking about staying local and picking up the flowers before I head to the rehearsal dinner in Burlington on Friday.  I just want to reassure myself that they won't wilt and die in 24 hours! LOL!

So, that begs the question, any florist recommendations in Central MA / Worcester?  We need 1 bride's bouquet, one MOH bouquet, possibly one corsafe or wristlet, and 8 bouts (yeah, lopsided, I know.  We've got my FI, his dad, his step-dad, my dad, his two best men, my brother, and our good friend who's reading).  None of the moms (my mom, his mom, and his step-mom) want bouquets, so they're each going to carry a single flower - whatever the predominant flower is in my bouquet.  Pretty simple order, overall.

5 1/2 months to go.  Yeesh!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

Re: Flowers

I used Sandra Tannozzini (Flowers A Bloom).  She is out of Millis and will deliver your flowers to Burlington/Winchester.  My wedding was North of Boston and she delivered them to us.  Her prices are VERY affordable and she does an amazing job.  I can send you pictures if you want.

sandraft at aol dot com
    508-376-8747

Congrats on the house and only a few months to go!

ETA: My florist did not charge me a delivery fee.  Also, my mom and MIL did not want a corsage either, so my florist did mini bouquets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Rap - Yes, your flowers should keep refrigerated one day.

The moms almost never get bouquets.  Corsages are traditional for the women guests of honor (moms, grandmothers, step-moms, etc).  Carrying a flower isn't wrong, per se, but just letting you know. They can't carry the flower around the reception all night, and the corsage is a way to show your other guests they are women of special honor.

We used Twillingate Gardens and Flower Shop in Sudbury, a recommended florist on the Wayside Inn preferred vendor list.  She was excellent and reasonably priced.  She delivered the flowers to the Wayside a couple of hours before the wedding.  Not sure if Sudbury is close enough to your area, though.

Karen Hodder at Twillingate

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

How far is it from Boylston to Burlington?
    My florist drove about 30+ minutes to drop off my bouquets at the salon Saturday morning.  She was willing to drive all the way to my house which would have been an additional 25 minutes, but I told her that wasn't necessary. 
    There was a delivery fee (50 or 75?), but it covered that drop off as well as dropping off the centerpieces and bouts at the venue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey Rap!  Congrats on being homeowners!  Great feeling, isn't it?

I'm curious as to why you want to pick your flowers up yourself?  Our florist will deliver them to the venue.  My friend used the same florist and just got bouquets & bouteniers (no centerpieces) and the florist delivered them to her house where she was getting raedy that morning.  I feel like storing them yourself is more stress than is worth dealing with.  Can you just have them drop them off at the ceremony site or wherever you are getting dressed?

My florist is awesome!  She did my 2 best friends weddings and their flowers were beautiful!  She has come in *extremely* reasonable prices for our limited budget.  She is also just such a nice person to work with.  She works out of her house in Reading and has many years of experience doing weddings. 

Her name is  Jody Palange Roffi.  Here's her website:

http://www.thebestweddingflowers.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

It's such a small order, and we're trying to save money, so we're trying to avoid the delivery fee if at all possible.  The larger issue is not wanting to drive all over hell and creation to meet with florists.  If I have someone local to me, I can go meet with them when it's convenient.  And yes, I know I can view pics and portfolios online, but I'm big on the in-person thing.  All my vendors sealed the deal with me because I got such a great vibe from them in person.  The florist is just the last one I need to sign!

As for the moms, I meant to write they didn't want corsages, but I had bouquets and bouts on the brain.  :-P  They don't want to pin anything to their dresses and none of them want the wrist-style ones.  It's such a small wedding, all the guests will know who they are.  :-)

Our hotel rooms are suites, and they all have kitchens with full size refrigerators in them, so storing them is actually pretty easy.  If I pick up the order on the way to the hotel, I'll just plop it right in the fridge!  I also won't have to spend Saturday stressing about whether the delivery will be on time.  LOL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I met with the Tangled Web (well talked with her on the phone and she was AWESOME), said she would deliver to Watertown from Pembroke! Only charging me $75. I think that is a steal.

She would also have to deliver all the centerpieces to my reception...which is in Wellesley.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I see - that makes sense re the moms. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Rap, I actually read somewhere (don't remember where) that you are not supposed to store flowers in a fridge. Keeping the stems in hot water is supposed to be better. But maybe your, or well, most definitely, your florist will know better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

hmm the few big florist shops i've been in all have large industrial refrigerators, so I'm pretty sure that a fridge is the way to go.  Our wedding florist definitely stored his work-in-progress in a fridge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm no expert, but I do know from experience that you should turn up the temperature in the fridge if you store flowers.  The centerpieces for my shower all froze on the top shelf of MIL's fridge!!  But I'm sure any florist can advise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Yes, I know florist shops have fridges, but they are completely different than a regular fridge in a kitchen. I swear I read something about it. Like I said, I could be completely wrong.

Fram, totally reminds me of a horror story I read on theknot about a poor girl whose mother put all of her bouquets in the "fridge" in her garage after the florist dropped them off. The mother accidentally put them in the huge freezer by accident and ALL of the bouquets were completely ruined before the wedding.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

hmm i see.  yes freezing them would be a big problem!  maybe the humidity is different in the florist fridges, and the temperature a bit milder too?  i don't know...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Found this online:  looks like you are half right Peonie.  The fridge may not be a good idea unless you turn up the temp and make sure there is no food in it (that releases ethylene).  But hot water is not good either.  I've heard warm water will help open up blooms if you want to accelerate them, but hot will kill them.

Should I keep my flowers in the fridge?

You would not believe the number of times I hear this question at the flowershop. The answer, almost always, is NO. Refrigerators at home are not always the same temperature as floral coolers and may actually freeze or burn your flowers, leaving them destroyed and unusable. Too close to the top of the fridge and you risk your flowers becoming too cold. Too close to the bottom of the fridge and you face another problem... ethylene. Ethylene is a gas that causes flowers to wilt and deteriorate quickly. Ethylene can be found in the presence of fireplaces, wilting plants, and ripening fruits and vegetables which are often kept (you guessed it) in the bottom bins of a refrigerator. It's risky to keep flowers in your refrigerator, and I've seen more than a few flowers and bouquets ruined in just a matter of hours. The best place to store your flowers if you're worried about keeping them at their peak for a day or two before a special event is a cool, dark place in your house... such as a closet, basement, or garage in the winter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wait, I spoke too soon.  Just googled hot water and flowers and apparently you may be totally right Peonie, sort of.  I have never heard of this and I definitely wouldn't try it on my wedding flowers.  But sounds like hot water can be used to revive wilted flowers or extend the life of fresh cut flowers.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg081351554309.html

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how-to-keep-your-cut-flowers-fresh.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Trex, VERY interesting! I heard that when the florist drops your flowers off to just leave them in the box out of light.

Very cool!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I should add a positive story - we made all of the bouquets for my brother's wedding and put them in the fridge overnight.  They were absolutely fine.  We put the bride's bouquet in the door since that would be a little less cold than the body of the fridge, probably turned up the temp as well.

They were made of red roses and sunflowers and looked so vibrant and pretty!!  Just had to add that.  I was so impressed with the MOH's bouqet skills.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

The fridge should be empty, since the hotels clean them out for each new guest... 

I guess I'll just wait and see what the florist says when I finally make an appointment with one!  LOL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi, Ra!  Congratulations on your house!  So happy for you.

Just tell the florist what you're thinking so that she can use the appropriate flowers in the bouquet....sturdier, less tempermental flowers.  i.e. baby's breath vs. Queen Anne's lace, roses vs. hydrangeas, etc. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TammieMarie. Show TammieMarie's posts

I was an employee of a flower shop in college, and I would advise you to think twice about putting them in a refrigerator unless you are certain the flowers you have chosen will hold up.  Some will, some won't depending on the temp in the fridge.  I agree with PP that how well they hold up is dependent on the type of flower.  I would check the durability of the flower with the florist when placing the order.  I would advise against roses and hydrangeas, though.  A safer bet would be to have them kept in a cool, no-sun location if there is no option of having them delivered the day of.  Having them delivered the day of is definitely optimal to have fresh looking beautiful flowers.

Sections
Shortcuts