help- baby shower location?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

help- baby shower location?

Can anyone help- not wedding- but a baby shower- I need a location. Smallish, prefer a restaurant so I don't have to cook (but I can cater it myself if need be), probably about 50 people (give or take 10). On a Sunday in march, brunch or lunch time. I'd like to keep it around $500- am I crazy?  Oh- location- anywhere from Wareham to Abington.  Thanks is advance for any suggestions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: help- baby shower location?

Hm, $10/pp might be pushing it to go out, although, for breakfast food it might be doable with a buffet, especially if you have 40 people bumping up the pp cost to $12.50 (not so easy for 60 people which would be $8.30).  If you cooked yourself you could definitely be within budget, but your time and effort would be worth something, right?  40 - 60 people is a lot to cook for, and you'd still have to rent space, right?  Or, could you accomodate up to 60 people in your home?

Sorry, I can't suggest a place as I'm not familiar with that area, but I'd call around and see if I could find a place with a breakfast buffet and private room through brunch/lunchtime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Have it at home.  You can get restaurants, supermarkets or speciality markets to cater so you don't have to cook.  If the mother to be is having a bad day [pregnancy wise] or even if she is not, I would think she'd be more comfortable in someone's home than in a busy or drafty restaurant. 

The Crazy Chef is a great caterer in that area [at least I think they are in that area].  We had them in to cater breakfast at work at least once [don't ask; it was a weird but fun office] and they were great. 

If you do have it in a restaurant, please skip diaper bingo or any other games.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

haha- i don't even know what diaper bingo is (and i don't want to know!!) no problem there! 

my house is was too small- but i am open to just renting hall space and cooking the food myself. so hall ideas are welcome, as well. 

all and any suggestions are welcome- i have never done this before!!  TIA!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I would try the new Garibaldi's restaurant in West Bridgewater. It used to be the old Gary's and then it was Spark Fish. The old owner, Gary is back in charge of the place again. I went to many showers there and it was always good when it was Gary's. I would at least consider it as it is in your location. I am considering having my sister's shower there in June. It's on route 28 in West Bridgewater.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

dani- genius! i just drove by the other day and saw it had a new name! and I had been there when it was garys, many moons ago. good location, too, for the people i will be inviting. thanks so much for coming up with this! (i went there when it was sparkfish, and it was good- i was surprised when it closed.) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Elmirag,
    so glad I could help. My family and I go there and have dinner about once a month and the food is always good. We actually went there a few months back for a gathering after a funeral and it was very nice. It was set up just like it was when I went for a bridal shower years back when it was Gary's. Best of luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

i called last night and spoke with Nina for a while- she is very nice. So without further delay, I am booking them. Thanks so much!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

So glad I could FINALLY help someone on here! It was my pleasure! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Nobody asked but in my opinion, 50 people at a baby shower is gift-grubby and way too big.  Should be closest friends and family only.  In my opinion. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cos, I have to agree; it would be nice if it could be intimate enough to be held in someone's home.  A shower in a function hall or restaurant loses a lot of the joy that only comes from spending time with the select group of people particularly close to the mommy-to-be or bride.  At least that's been my experience.  I've been to two restaurant baby showers and a bridal shower.  All three were big and cold.  I sat with people I didn't know and hardly interacted with the guest of honor at all.  I was actually uncomfortable at all three.

Maybe this is a moot point for this poster and the guest list is out of her control.  But, if not, if there's any way to pare it down, not only would it be cheaper, it would be better for the ones who do go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Thanks, kar.  I wasn't trying to make the OP feel bad but I have been to way too many warehouse showers.  And, I will even buy the "invite every female guest within 100 miles" to a wedding shower as some families like to do, but a baby shower?  Sorry.  It's too obviously a gift-grub. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, I'm not trying to make her feel bad, either, of course.  I hope that's apparent with respect to both of us.  As a guest of those 50 person, impersonal showers, I FELT like it was 100% a gift grabby thing, not a fun, special time meant for the people closest to the bride or expecting mother to enjoy with that person and the others in that inner circle. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Hi ladies
    I just want to jump in here without being offensive, because I know that you both always have the best intentions at heart and you both have always given me great advice......so here goes:
    There are many reasons to have a baby shower in someplace other than your home. One reason....and this is just coming from my experience, is that some relatives may be wheel chair bound and cannot come to a shower at someone's home if they live in a 3rd floor apartment in the city. Also, My family is HUGE and all a very close knit italain family and 25 invites would only cover my dad's side of the family, not my moms or even the friends. I am sure there are many other reasons, but those were 2 that were considered when I was lucky enough to have shower presented to me. My mother in laws...(yes, I have 2, ) got together had planned a baby shower for me at ones home and my family could not come because the house was too small so my sister had to plan a baby shower for just MY side of the family because of this. I think you made some good points, but every situation is different because of different needs. I am still very close with my first cousins and my second cousins and when family get togethers come up, we have to rent a hall. We may be a big group but we are all very close.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

no offense taken from anyone. believe me when i tell you, it will be around 50 people, and it won't be "every female within 100 miles". it has nothing to do with "gift grubiness". there will be children- i won't tell anyone to not bring their children, if they want to bring them , they can and that will add to the # of people right there. and yes, one is actually in a wheel chair (a 7 year old) so we need the roominess. my house is way too small for even 15 people. the place i did choose (thanks to dani) is pretty intimate, so if only 30-40 show up, it will still be perfect. pretty much, most of the people will directly know each other, so i doubt anyone will feel it's "cold". but hey- thanks for the useless input, seriously. i was only asking for venues. i know how these boards get out of control, so whatever.