How far in advance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

How far in advance?

How far in advance should one book make-up artists, florists, and bakers? I know that reception space and photographers book up a year or more in advance. Should I take care of other vendors ASAP too?

thanks for any input!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: How far in advance?

Hello
    When is your wedding.  I'm about 7 months out and I have everything booked except my make up person but she's a friend of my hairdresser so it shouldn't be  problem.  I would have waited on my florist, but we're getting married Valentine's weekend and wanted to get someone now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it really does depend on when your wedding is. if it's during peak wedding season or near a holiday I'd want them booked 6 months out just to be safe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

My wedding has been scheduled for next June, on a Saturday evening. I thought once I nailed down a photographer I'd move on the next vendor choice. Hopefully a bakery won't look at me like I've got two heads if I ask about a cake for 9+ months out. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: How far in advance?:
    My wedding has been scheduled for next June, on a Saturday evening. I thought once I nailed down a photographer I'd move on the next vendor choice. Hopefully a bakery won't look at me like I've got two heads if I ask about a cake for 9+ months out. :)
    Posted by zenbat

not at all! I tried to book a baker 6 months out from my May wedding and it was a pain because November and December are busy months for a bakery. It was tough finding a day to get in for a tatsing. Just make sure to ask about checking in with them 3 months prior or something just so make sure you're all on the same page.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I would say book them as soon as you can. My biggest problem was finding vendors who were available on my date (also a Saturday night in June). The only thing I left until the last minute was the florist and the videographer. I think florists are easy because they can do multiple weddings in a weekend and we didn't need that many flowers. We just plain got lucky with the videographer!

There's nothing wrong with securing things early. Things get really hectic the closer you get to the wedding date. Making these decisions now is one less thing as your date gets closer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's fine.  I had the bakery booked in March I believe for a February 2011 wedding.  I had a DJ booked two weeks before that.  I like to get things planned.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'd definitely start looking for hair and make-up asap (if you want them to come to you and you aren't doing a salon, that is).  I was at about 6 mos out when I started looking and pretty much *everyone* was booked already (Sat's go FAST!). 

I don't think florists book up quite as fast, but still the earlier you look, the more options you will have. 

This was our order:  venue, photographer, videographer, DJ, JOP, florist, hair/make-up, cake (included in package), ceremony musicians.  I think we had everyone booked by about 4 mos out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No one will bat an eye for your inquiring less than a year away no matter what the vendor especially for a June wedding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Hi. I need to put my 2 cents in here because, as someone in the business, I can hopefully give you some advice about my experiences. June is the most popular wedding month and I hate for you to be running around last minute in a panic. I am finally retiring from the wedding business at the end of this year and have been doing wedding makeup for over 20 years. Hair and makeup people book very quickly, especially if you are looking for someone to come out to you. For example, I booked 2 weddings this year on June 5th, so I closed out that date. Honestly, I  turned down 9 more weddings this year for just that date alone. As I would turn down those clients, I would also refer them to other makeup artists that I knew, and at one point, some of them had either emailed me or called me to tell me to stop refering them because they too were already booked for that day. I am not trying to scare you, but please do move quickly on this if you are getting married in June or September because those are the most popular months and some brides book a year and a half out in some cases. I hope that you find someone for your date that you are comfortable with.  Have a makeup trial and a hair trial as soon as you can, so if you do not like the results, you have time to find someone else. If you really like this person, book them, because we have other brides behind you ready to pounce on that date if you don't take it. I do not mean to make you nervous, but I have had many brides wait until last minute to get back to me about whether or not they wanted to book me for their wedding after having their trial with me the month before and if I did not hear from them after 10 days, I stopped holding the date for them and filled it with someone else. I now have 2 more girls coming over for trials in July for their weddings this year.  I have been holding thier dates for them and if they both decide to book with me, that's it.....my year is closed out and I will start refering other makeup artists to any inquiries I get before I close my website down. Last year, one of the hair stylists that I reccomend  had a baby, so she was out for a few months durring peak wedding season and I was having a tough time finding other stylists to refer to my brides. This year, one of my other stylists that I refer clients to is out due to family issues and I am still trying to find someone for a client and  her wedding is next month....it is seriously difficult if you wait too long.Please let me know if I can refer you to anyone for next year. I will be glad to do so. Good luck with everything, I hope that you feel as though I was able to help you and not scare you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Thanks for the advice. Now I don't feel obsessive compulsive wanting to book vendors ASAP.  :) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not at all zenbat!  I recall booking the big vendors far in advance and then having a lull for a while.  Then it was time to order BM dresses, invitations, and focus on the little stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I'm not getting married until 8/20/11 and I already have my church, venue, photographer, dress, DJ and flowers. The florist I am using (Jen from the Tangled Web) books fast because she only does one wedding a day.

A lot of people keep saying how organized I am! LOL. I just think I am nuts!

I have no idea when I will do the limo or cake. Invites, probably in March/April. Hair and makeup, I don't know. I am going to contact a makeup artist in December, because she doesn't book more than one year out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

LOL Peonie!  Everyone keeps saying that I'm organized too, but I think I'm just OCD.  Either way, I'm glad its all done.  
    Having the holiday I was worried about a lot of people not wanting to work the holiday and having others book up quick.  We got the church, venue, DJ and hotel done first.  My mom's friend is my florist and my friend is doing the cake.  I got my dress in Jan. and just got the girls, MOB and MOG dresses all done as well as the tux colors picked out.  Limo and shuttle is in the contract process.  Now its time to start looking at invites. 

Good Luck Zenbat. You're not crazy...I have a friend without a e-ring whose putting a deposit on a venue for next Aug...that's a little crazy (but I love her!)

Sections
Shortcuts