I need help with Invitation Vendors!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I need help with Invitation Vendors!

Hi gals!

I would like to try my best not to spend a lot of my invites, but I also don't want them to look or feel cheap, more feel. I really want inner and outer envelopes, I don't mind digital printing, and I would like to try to order them in person. So far our guest list is around 192, all couples and families (maybe 4 singletons?) Anyway here are my questions:

1) Can you please suggest places that I can get invites for a decent price, but a good quality?

2) How many invitations will I really need?

3) Is thermography tacky? To me, I don't care, but some people say it is. I went to Paper Source and the woman there said 50% of my guest will notice if my invites were not thermography (I personally would never know what that was unless 7 of my friends weren't already married). I think she was trying to get money out of me.

For some reason, this is the #1 thing I am stressing about the most...

Thanks for your help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: I need help with Invitation Vendors!

1) I can't recommend a good vendor because I ordered mine online from Etsy.

2) For the number, you need to literally look at your guest list and count how many you need.  (Sorry if that is stating the obvious.)  I would order an extra 5 (maybe 10).  I rounded up and I ordered mabe 13 extra... and ended up with 13 left over :oP

3) Is thermography tacky??  I thought it was supposed to be nicer?  Either way, I honestly could not tell you if I have ever received an invitation with thermography printing.  If you ask me, definitely less than 50% will notice, and fewer will know it's "nicer".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Fram, I meant is digital print tacky!! Whoops.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

1) I used Superior Printing and Promotions, here's their website: http://www.yourinvitationplace.com/Default.aspx?WebName=weprint4u
    They were really helpful and let me customize the simple invite that I picked by adding a maple leaf graphic to it so it would fit my theme. I thought the prices were really reasonable and I would definitely recommend paying a little extra for having the return address pre-printed on the back flap, my sister forgot for her wedding and it took so much longer to address her invites than it did for mine. They'll also send out samples so you can see the paper quality.
    2) A lot of places make you order in sets of 25 so I'd just round up to the next multiple of 25, having a few extras is much better than running out early.
    3) I'm a bit of a paper snob because I grew up with a father who is a printer and we always had invites and cards printed on really nice paper growing up.  I would notice what kind of printing was used but definitely wouldn't judge anyone on it.  I would prefer knowing that someone didn't spend a ton on something that most people throw away right after the wedding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I have never heard of thermography.  I expect that, if I polled my friends, 85% of them have never heard of themorgraphy. I wouldn't know it if it punched me in the face.

P.S. Please don't tell me what it is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

1.  I ordered from Aurelia's Auriginals through Etsy.  I realize this doesn't help if you want to order in person, but I can't rave enough about the whole process, not to mention the price.  I got to customize things in ways no real company would allow, had unlimited edits to various digital proofs, received a real proof in the mail. 
    2.  I asked for probably 10 extra envelopes (preprinted with our return address on the back flap), but maybe only one or two extra invitations.  I want one as a keepsake, but otherwise, there's no need for extras.  You can't mess up the actual invitations as you can envelopes.  Not having to order in increments of 25 saved me some moolah. 
    3.  Mine have digital print, so you can believe I'm in the Not Tacky camp, but I understand some people out there disagree.  As for my guests, some will notice, but I don't think any will care.  And really, even if they care, it doesn't bother me.  I'm a very sensitive person (overly so, honestly), but this is one thing that truly does not show up on my radar.  I think someone could say to my face, "Wow!  Your invitations are ugly and cheap," and I would smile and thank her. 

Good luck, and let us know where you go!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

If you are trying to save on money go with flat printing not raised text which is what Thermography is.  I did have raised text, only because my dad was buying them and he is super traditional and would not have it any other way.  The reality is, people throw your invites away, so why spend all that money?  
      Don't get too many extra invites, i have so many extra 20 or more, and have nothing to do with them! I'd say get 5, I had a few lost in the mail.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I went through The Paper Store, and we purchased from the Affordably Inviting catalog.  I really like them.  I got WAY more than I needed - I needed 45 invitations, but only ordering 50 seemed like not enough extra, so I bumped it up to the next level, which was 75.  Our costs - including multiple proofs - was under $200.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh yeah!  I forgot about the multiples of 25 thing.  Let's say you need 112, I would definitely round up to 125 because it is most likely much cheaper than going back to order more.
    Ordering from Etsy, I didn't have to worry about multiples of 25.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I actually lucked out and used a printing company through my company's benefits.  My comapny offered 40% discount with employee printing services and I was very happy with the results.  I also brought discounted movie packages and chocholate with the company benefits as well for the bridal party gifts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

ok, i have to chime in here, having once worked in corporate correspondence!
    thermography is "poor mans" engraving, it is ink with a heat reactive powder added, then heated after printed causing the ink to rise, i dont like it, and in my opinion it is tackier than flat or laser printing
    nothing says elegance more than engraving, but at a cost, cranes invitations are typically engraved
    letterpress, like everything these days has become retro, back in style after probably 50 years, it gives a somewhat whimsical appearance....

just your wedding invite vocabulary lesson for the day

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

We got our invitiations from Pigweed Press (www.pigweedpress.com) and LOVE them.  It is a local (Somerville) letterpress company, but they were cheaper than the digital flat printing at Paper Source and infinitely better.  Jenni was amazing to work with, and we got exactly the design we wanted.  There was also no issue of getting sets of 25.  I think we ordered 55??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I got a lot of my paper products (save the dates, shower invitations) from weddingpaperdivas.com. They have $1 samples for most styles, which I recommend before placing a big order, as some of the colors appear differently online and in person. I was really happy with their products, and thought they looked really nice. We used one of the thermography invites for the shower invitation and I thought it looked rich and beautiful, not cheap. Other websites I looked at were minted.com and hellolucky.com (they have some really cool ones).

The final product of thermography looks absolutely fine. It's a very similar effect to engraving IMO, although engraving is much more expensive. I like thermo better than flat printing, just because I think it looks fancier. Our invitations were thermography printed.

I ordered our wedding invitations from Papyrus during a huge sale they were having. Normally I'd think they were too expensive, but it might be worth looking into, especially with a sale (I think it was 20-25% off).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I went to Litho-Craft on Lowell Street in Winchester and purchased Carlton wedding invites.  Or were they Carlson wedding invites? whatever, they have quite a few books, you can choose them in person (so you can check for weight, feel, heft, I know what you mean, I sent away for some online samles an d they were incredibly cheap feeling, ugh).  These were "affordable" - I mean, wedding invites can be expensive, but these aren't zillions of dollars like some other invites I found from other companies.

And then I ordered programs (at the last minute) to match my invites with the same color ink, and it all worked wonderfully, because the colors they use are more "regular" colors for printers. 

anyway, if you can get to Winchester, I'd go look there.
    http://www.litho-craft.com/servicecenter/products_services.html/title/wedding-invitations

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Great, thanks for all of the suggestions!