Leaving E-ring at the jeweler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Leaving E-ring at the jeweler?

I ordered my custom wedding band last night from a local jeweler in Malden and they told me I need to bring my engagement ring back on Saturday and leave it with them for a few hours.  I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or not, but is there something I should get from them to guarantee that I'm going to get the same ring back in the same condition when I pick it up later that day?  Has anyone else been in this situation?  It makes perfect sense that they need the ring for a few hours, but I'm just nervous about having it out of my sight for so long.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Leaving E-ring at the jeweler?

why do they need your e-ring? Is your wedding band customized to fit perfectly with it or something?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I second that, why do they need your e-ring?

To answer your question, though, I left my e-ring with the jeweler twice to get it cleaned (once they straightened the prongs as well) and no they didn't provide any kind of guarantee.  It caused a tiny bit of anxiety, but this is what they do for a living.  Lucky for me, I could identify my diamond by sight so they'd never be able to switch it out ;o)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I have only ever left my diamond at the place I bought it from, for cleaning.   It is engraved on the inside of the band with a serial number that matches a number etched in my diamond.  I guess that is supposed to provide some security, although I admit I don't actually check the etching against the engraving under a microscope when they give it back. :p

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Thanks for the comments.  My e-ring has an eight prong setting and the band will need to be curved to fit around it, so they'll need it for a few hours to do this.

I'm sure it will be fine to leave it with them, as this is what they do all the time, but I wasn't sure if there was some standard form or release that others have used with jewelers in the past that I should be asking for or expecting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Do you have the GIA certificate for the diamond?  If so, it should have a drawing that includes any imperfections in the stone.  If it has any, ask to see the diamond under the microscope before you leave.  Memorize that and then when you go back to pick up the ring, ask to see it again under the microscope.

I accidentally got the wrong ring back after having mine cleaned and didn't notice until I got home.  I was very worried after that for the same reasons you stated.  But, I took it to another jeweler and looked under the microscope and it was the right stone. 

My feeling is you can never be too careful.  But no, I don't think there is any kind of form...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mo, you can do something to make sure you get the same stone back.  Get to know your diamond under the scope.  All diamonds have flaws/inclusions.  Just ask to see yours under the scope - it's a common request, I've done it a couple of times.  Ask them to look first and then point out the types of inclusions you have and where to look for them.  They're easy to see when you know where to look and what to look for.  Make notes, and when you pick it up, look at it again.  Inclusions are what makes stones identifiable, and it's really easy to tell if you have the same stone once you know what yours really looks like.

I have a feather inclusion on the top surface and a cluster inside near one prong.  I'd know for sure if it wasn't mine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I left my e-ring at the jewelers for 2 weeks while my band was being made.  I trusted them, so it wasn't an issue.  If you have to worry about your stone being switched out, then you should find another jeweler!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl44. Show Soxgirl44's posts

I just found out I'll have to leave mine for a week with our Jeweler because my engagement ring is hand crafted and hand engraved so they need it so my band will match. I have never been without it so a little nervous about leaving it, but my fiance's family has been going to this jeweler for many years so I know it will be ok. It will be weird not having it but worth it in the end when I have a beautiful band to match my ring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I brought my ring to the jeweler to get cleaned a couple times, and I didn't even leave the store.  I wouldn't leave it over night, or even for an hour.  I made sure they knew I was there the whole time. 

I'm staying in the store when they do the final cleaning (before the wedding) and the engraving. 

I don't think it's a matter of trust.  I just don't see a need to leave your ring with the jeweler.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

It is fairly standard - I have left mine with them for two weeks while my wedding band was getting made.  It is just to ensure that the rings will sit flush against each other.

As another poster said, if you are that paranoid, find another jeweller that you are comfortable leaving it with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It actually takes a lot of work and time to switch out a diamond; it's a fairly baseless worry, actually, although I understand it completely.  Furthermore, the fact is that busy jewelry stores may not have the capacity to do everything you need done while you wait.  I think there is plenty of reason to leave your ring if you need time consuming, custom work done on it if you've gone to a reputable jeweler.  And, like I said, especially if you are familiar with the inclusions in your diamond.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I read a horror story somewhere about how someone brought their ring in to get cleaned, and the cleaner "popped" out the diamond. 

I trust my jeweler.  My fiance went to her for my e-ring, and we got our bands there, and a couple other gifts there, too.  Personally, I just couldn't part with my e-ring/wedding band for a whole day.  I wouldn't want to do it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure it does happen, but it's statistically rare.  It really comes down to what you're comfortable doing, though.  Not all our fears are based on statistical fact...I wish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Ha, I'm the type who believes in all those "urban legends". 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

I would get a reciept for your ring. I've only had 1 issue with my jewler, fortunatly it was my chain that I had the problem with not my e-ring. And I everytime I drop it off when I pick it up I have to bring the receipt and my liscence, I actually feel better about doing it that way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'm not a big fan of leaving jewelry @ the jeweler...yesterday I needed to have batteries replaced in 2 watches that I have..one an anne klein w/a pearl face the other a movado..both were gifts from my husband...the anne klein when I turned 40 and the movado was a christmas gift a few years back.  they wanted me to leave them...i told them no way, that I want to watch them replace the batteries, which they did right in front of me.

i think i'd call the jeweler and question why they need the e-ring, why they need it for so long, why you need to leave it...and that you would rather watch them do what they have to do to your e-ring right in front of you...  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Laryan, I second that. My boyfriend gave me a Movado for my birthday last year, and they wanted me to leave it at the jewelers when it was being sized and I told them I would wait. Why would I leave it when it only took 10 minutes?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My fiance got me a Movado for my birthday gift last year, too, and I needed to get it sized.  Not only did I not leave it, but I watched the guy do it.  No need to leave anything overnight.  I would DIE if the jeweler told me to leave my e-ring for 2 weeks.  Um, how about NO!?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Goodness, I could never leave my ring with a jeweler. Maybe that makes me paranoid, but I just would be too worried.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

My ring is an oval diamond with two pineapple cut peridots on the side...so unique, and will never be mistaken for another ring! I've heard stories about jewelers "popping" out the stones and such, but, like other posters suggested, I think they're probably urban legends. To the OP, if you're worried about leaving your ring for that long, you can certainly get a guarantee in writing that your ring will be returned to you or something. I also like the other posters' suggestions of looking at it under a microscope to learn what the stone looks like...Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Katel, what does a pineapple cut look like?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i've heard so many horror stories from people who left items @ the jewelers.  i also believe either Hank Phillipi Ryan and/or Susan Wornick did consumer type reports featuring people who have had horror shows with jewelers...

i also knew it was a situation where it took only a couple of minutes to replace watch batteries...not the first time i've ever needed a watch batteries replaced..combined w/the fact i was in downtown crossing, a place that has a billion jewelers that I could choose from to do business with.     

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Leaving E-ring at the jeweler?:
    [QUOTE]Katel, what does a pineapple cut look like?
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

I bet it's similar to pear shaped.  I can picture it.