make-up trials

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

make-up trials

This may be a silly question, but I'm a little confused about the process of choosing a makeup artist. Does one do the trial run after selecting an MUA or before choosing one?

thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: make-up trials

It depends on the vendor and timing, but here's how it worked for me.  I contacted a well-reviewed makeup artist and scheduled a trial quite early (something like 6-9 months before my wedding).  She held my wedding date for me but didn't require a contract and deposit until after the trial.  So if the trial hadn't gone well, I wouldn't have had to book her.  (The trial did go well--she was fantastic.)  I could have done a second trial with her closer to the date, but I didn't feel it was necessary.  I did meet her once again to pick out a different lipstick shade, but that was about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I had two trials, and ended up picking the second makeup artist. Both times, the makeup artist had a contract ready, but said I could go home and think about it before putting down a deposit, and they'd hold the date for a week or two. I scheduled the trials in the same week so I could compare, and ended up liking the second one better. Unless you've already seen their work, I would recommend doing the trial before you sign any contracts or making any commitments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I would definitely do the trial before you sign a contract, both for hair and make-up.  I made the mistake of booking both before I did the trials.  Then I did the trials about a month before the wedding.  I actually disliked both the make-up and hair and 2 weeks before the wedding was on a mad search to replace them.  Luckily I was able to work it out (thanks to my amazing wedding coordinator) but it was very stressful.

Bottom line: just because you like their portfolio does not mean you will like what they do on you.  So definitely test it out ahead of time!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Thanks for the advice. :-) Sadly, Brea is not available, so I'm back to the drawing board!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

If Brea is booked, try Tara from tadayourself.com
    I've worked with both her and Brea, and they are both fantastic.  I can't really recommend one above the other.  Both are very fun to work with and are highly skilled and attentive makeup artists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

i've found myself in your boat, trex... my wedding is in just a few weeks and the makeup artist i planned to use is not going to work out.  tara isn't available, not sure yet about brea--does anyone else have recommendations for a boston-area artist?  i've seen lots of great reviews for people on the south shore but i'll be in the city.  (help!  trying not to freak out.)  thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I have a related issue, and I think I need PK's help. 

I had a trial and thought it was okay, but the more I think about it, I think the lady overdid it.  (I looked glamorous, which isn't bad, but it's not "me."  On a daily basis, I might tone down my shine with translucent powder, use a tiny bit of eye liner on the ridge above my lower lashes and put on some nude lipgloss.)  Adding to my worries?  Over the weekend, my FI told me he didn't like the trial and wishes I would go with less make-up.  I was momentarily frustrated, since I asked his opinion the day I had it done, and he said he liked it.  But then he said, "You're so naturally beautiful," and I decided I wouldn't hold it against him.  Ha! 

Anyway, it's been a couple months since the trial, the wedding isn't local, and the big day is in a couple weeks.  What do I do?  Do I go back to the same woman and ask that she tone it down?  Do I call the one other place in that town and beg for a trial the day before the wedding?  Do I have a trusted friend attempt to do for me what equates to "me," but slightly enhanced?  And what would that be?  How is it I should describe the look to someone if what I want is that timeless look I see in so many photos?  I want to look gorgeous, but almost as if I'm not wearing make-up.  How do I achieve that look? 

Thank you!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: make-up trials:
    I have a related issue, and I think I need PK's help.  I had a trial and thought it was okay, but the more I think about it, I think the lady overdid it.  (I looked glamorous, which isn't bad, but it's not "me."  On a daily basis, I might tone down my shine with translucent powder, use a tiny bit of eye liner on the ridge above my lower lashes and put on some nude lipgloss.)  Adding to my worries?  Over the weekend, my FI told me he didn't like the trial and wishes I would go with less make-up.  I was momentarily frustrated, since I asked his opinion the day I had it done, and he said he liked it.  But then he said, "You're so naturally beautiful," and I decided I wouldn't hold it against him.  Ha!  Anyway, it's been a couple months since the trial, the wedding isn't local, and the big day is in a couple weeks.  What do I do?  Do I go back to the same woman and ask that she tone it down?  Do I call the one other place in that town and beg for a trial the day before the wedding?  Do I have a trusted friend attempt to do for me what equates to "me," but slightly enhanced?  And what would that be?  How is it I should describe the look to someone if what I want is that timeless look I see in so many photos?  I want to look gorgeous, but almost as if I'm not wearing make-up.  How do I achieve that look?  Thank you!!!
    Posted by Rirlo01

I think trying to find a new artist now would be stressful. If you think that you looked nice but it wasn't "you" just too much make up, then be honest with the artist the day of. Ask her if she'll do it in stages so you can see the process as it goes, and before she globs on tons of eye liner.  I think it's hard when the artist doesn't see someone day to day to know what they like. Maybe even give a call and say I think I looked great, but it wasn't me, do you think on the day of you could tone it down a little and make it more natural looking?  Not sure if this helps, but if it were me, i think the stress of finding another makeup artist a few weeks before would make me nervous!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

You're probably right, AJuly!  What am I thinking?  I'm not!  My brain has turned to mush.  I usually have the best memory and am not a complete idiot.  Lately?  Completely the opposite.  :( 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Rirlo- I agree with Ajuly. Call your MUA, talk with her, tell her you want natural, light and fresh. And then describe the type of natural look you want- natural but polished like Jennifer Aniston, natural and beachy like Kate Hudson, or natural and sultry like Salma Hayek. Find pictures and send them if you can:
    www.topnews.in/files/Kate-Hudson_3.jpg" alt="" />

salma-hayek1.jpg Salma Hayek image by kineda

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I agree.  Keep the MUA if you liked her and just communicate clearly.  My MUA always emphasized that she could adjust and undo very easily, even on the day-of, so if something wasn't exactly what I wanted, I should just speak up, and we'd try something different!  I think you should do the same.  And you will be glad to have polished professional makeup that enhances your features in your photos.  Maybe just leave a little extra time for makeup on the day of, and be vocal in explaining what you want.  A good MUA will be willing to adjust and play with it until you are satisfied.

p.s. my husband didn't love my trial either, but i realized he was reacting to the red lipstick I had chosen.  I worked with the MUA to tone it down, and the day-of it all worked out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Thank you, PinkKittie!  The more I think about it, the more I believe she can do it.  I'm often too timid to speak up when something isn't quite right, especially if the person doing whatever it is that's off a little is nice.  She seems so nice and well-meaning.  Hopefully, I can phrase it so she realizes what she did was great, but just off the mark for what I'm thinking is "me."  Thanks again! 

Oh, and the Aniston photo is good.  I'm going to use that and maybe snag photos from my photographer and another MUA's site to show her. 

One more question for you.  I am very pale, but she said she sees olive tones in my skin.  Is that possible?  Nobody's ever told me that.  (Then again, I'm not experienced with make-up, so there's been little opportunity.)  Anyway, she said she wanted to steer away from pinks on account of my coloring and said, instead, browns and whatnot are my thing.  Does this sound good?  And it shouldn't affect her ability to do natural/fresh on me, right?  I think of pink cheeks as cute and natural, but she used what I remember thinking was a woodsy color.  I am so naive...  Just wondering if this sounds remotely reasonable.  :)

Thank you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, it's entirely possible to be pale and have olive undertone. Rachel Weiss is fair with olive undertones. I'm pale and have yellow undertones. Some people are pale with pink undertones.
    She's right that if you have olive undertones, pink can make you look more sallow than you are. Bronze or peachy blushes are better for your skin tone. I'd recommend you ask for peach or coral blush if you want that cute, flushed look. The underones of your skin have much more to do with what colors will look flattering on you than how light or dark your skin is.
    As you can see in the pictures above, Jennifer Anniston has pink undertones, so pink blush works for her. Salma Hayek has olive undertones, so she's wearing a peach colored blush to give her a natural glow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Yes, bronze!  That's what she used on me.  Maybe I'll mention the peach or coral.  Thank you so much!  You're so good at this stuff.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

happy to help! Good luck with your makeup!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Jasmine, thanks for the suggestion of Tara for MUA! I'm going with her.

I found the makeup trials to be fun (and I'm not much of a makeup wearer)--I learned more about doing my own makeup and discovered that fake eyelashes rock.

Sections
Shortcuts