make up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrjoram5. Show mrjoram5's posts

make up

Can anyone recommend a good make up artist in the Boston area?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: make up

I've heard awesome things about Makeup by Brea.

makeupbybrea.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I second Brea.  She did an awesome job on me...plus she is just such a nice person in general, working with her is great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

ditto Brea.  She is really talented, and easy to work with.

In case she's not available, I've heard raves for Girly Junk, but never worked with them myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I have an appointment with Katrina Hess.
    (http://www.katrinahess.com/)
    I have seen her work with women undergoing cancer treatment at the Dana Farber through the American Cancer Society's Look Good Feel Better program and she has does an amazing job.  Seriously you would not believe the transformations she does for these women and she is so wonderful while she is working with them and showing them how they can do for themselves what she is doing.  There are several make up and hair professionals that volunteer for this program but Katrina is the best by miles and miles.  I think she will do a great job for me and I really want to support a business women who does such great volunteer work.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I wish I had known about Brea before I booked my makeup lady :(

I am happy with who I booked ( a Clinuque Rep) but I keep hearing such awesome things about Brea!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hey Sept--don't feel bad.  I've heard Brea isn't booking for Fall 2010 yet.  I think she will only book 6-9 months out or so.  So you would've had to wait anyway.  And if you were happy with your trial, then you won't regret it. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just had to share that I thought the thread would be about making up after a fight. ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Jasmine, haven't had my trial yet. The reason I booked with Clinique is because I have only used their products for about 10 years now! No joke...my mom uses Clinique and she would always bring me back the samples when I was in HS. Then in college, I started to buy my own. I have never really used any other makeup, so for some reason, I really wanted to use a product that my face and eyes are used to. Didn't want to risk breaking out or having a reaction on my wedding day!

Ok, so you didn't need to know my life story there...lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: make up:
    [QUOTE]Jasmine, haven't had my trial yet. The reason I booked with Clinique is because I have only used their products for about 10 years now! No joke...my mom uses Clinique and she would always bring me back the samples when I was in HS. Then in college, I started to buy my own. I have never really used any other makeup, so for some reason, I really wanted to use a product that my face and eyes are used to. Didn't want to risk breaking out or having a reaction on my wedding day! Ok, so you didn't need to know my life story there...lol
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Liz, I can so relate!  Clinique was actually the first makeup I was ever allowed to wear.  I was 12, and my mom got me a sheer barely colored lip gloss and a light blue eye shadow that you could barely see.  I stuck with it through college, and I have fond memories of looking for the free gift with my grandma and mom.  When we first started doing that together the amount you needed to spend to get the free gift was $12.50, I think.  It was 1984.

OK, that didn't contribute anything either to the OP, but your story gave me warm fuzzies about one of my milestones into womanhood. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrjoram5. Show mrjoram5's posts

Brea was recommended by a friend but she's already booked for my day...she must really be good!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yeah I like Clinique products also.  My mom got me a really nice Clinique kit too last year, and I love it.  I use it all the time. So I can see the appeal!

Brea uses MAC products, which I had never used before, but they were great too.  (Confession: I find makeup stores kind of scary/overwhelming and have never worked up the nerve to go into the MAC store by myself.  That sounds silly now that I have written it down.  But seriously I can barely handle Sephora and the MAC store seems even more intense.) Brea gave me the lipstick that I used at my wedding and now I love to wear it when I go out and it reminds me in a silly way of the wedding.  She was incredibly patient with me about choosing the perfect shade of lipstick, (she met me again after the trial to perfect it), and I really loved the color in the end. I might have work up the nerve to go to the MAC store and buy another stick if this one ever runs out.  (I say "if" because I don't wear lipstick very often...  I'm not sure that I have ever actually finished a stick, come to think of it.)

...okay, so now you have a little bit of my makeup life story too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Okay, we are really not helping you at all mrjoram--sorry!  I have also heard raves for Tara from Tada yourself.  www.tadayourself.com
    again, I have no direct personal experience with her--just trying to help you brainstorm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

So funny... I just clicked on your link for Tada Yourself and found out I went to highschool with Tara!  What a small world!  I'm adding her to my list to look up when I actually start planning my wedding!  Not having seen her since highschool, I can't comment on her skills.  But she's a sweetheart!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I just love Clinique! And yes Kar, I will never forget the ladies at the Macy's Clinique counter with all that eyeliner on!  When I was little, they would try to explain to me that eyeliner makes your eyes look BIGGER! And I would always ask my mom "Why are their cheeks so pink?" lol. I can still smell their perfume!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I just love Clinique! And yes Kar, I will never forget the ladies at the Macy's Clinique counter with all that eyeliner on!  When I was little, they would try to explain to me that eyeliner makes your eyes look BIGGER! And I would always ask my mom "Why are their cheeks so pink?" lol. I can still smell their perfume!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah!!!  The perfume, too - I'd forgotten that.  Those were the days they could actually spray you as you walked by.  We all have asthma...thanks a lot for that.  I guess that's why they can't anymore!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Kar and Sept, that is so funny! I don't think makeup counter ladies have changed much! I tend to use a mix of makeup. I love Clinique, but I also like MAC a lot. I also love Origins, they have grat eye makeup. I have been using Clinique mascara for about two years now and really love it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Peonie, I think you're right, they haven't changed at all, but thankfully they can't squirt perfume on you as you walk by anymore!  Clinique masquera is really nice.  I used it a long time myself.  I've never tried Origins makeup, but I LOVE their stronger of the two ginger perfumes of theirs.  The lighter one is nice, but it really fades quickly according to my sniffing friends. :)

Sorry, mrjoram...couldn't resist the Clinique conversation.  Hope you don't mind. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

I second the recommendation for Katrina Hess.  I used her for myself and my daughter for her Bat MItzvah and have since recommended her to many other people who have all used her with great raves as well.
    What I particularly liked is the way she made my make up a little more dramatic then i typically wear, but very flattering none the less.  She did my daughters very appropriately for her age, we were mostly concerned about being done for the photographs, but liked her so much initially that we decided to splurge and get done again at night for the kids party, again very appropriate for our (respective) ages and for the occasions

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I loved Brea at my wedding - so highly recommend her.
    As someone else said, she is such a sweetheart and very talented!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

I recommend my make up artist, Diva.  She will be doing my wedding party next year.  I have had make up done with her in the past and I loved it.

She also does:
    waxing
    eyebrow tweezing
    facials
    and my all time favorite...the eye lash perm!  I did it for the first time a few weeks ago and my lashes are still looking fantastic, even without mascara!  Having the perm also helps the look of fake lashes look even better.

She's based out of Malden, but travels the day of and charges $30 for makeup.  I just can't say enough good things about her.  Her phone number is: 617-470-3871

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'd recommend danielle ross...her website is www.daniellerossmakeup artistry.com
    Kiss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haha Kar - you are not alone - me too ---P

[QUOTE]I just had to share that I thought the thread would be about making up after a fight. ;)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]