My June Wedding Review - Finally

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My June Wedding Review - Finally

I finally tied up all the loose ends with vendors, so now I feel I can give a full review of my June 13th wedding.  I had a awesome day, and thank you God for answering my 8-month long prayer and giving me one of the only perfect days in June.  Who says 13 is unlucky?

I will post some pics tonight when I get home, but here goes:

Ceremony: Goddard Chapel, Tufts University  A+
    The chapel was beautiful and the campus was perfect for pics after the ceremony.  The chapel staff was very helpful in making sure all that everything went smoothly and did a great job overseeing the ceremony.  The only issue we had was a few people that drove themselves got lost, but everyone made it on time. 

Reception: Springstep, Medford MA  B-
    My original review was way too long, so if you want more details let me know.  This review is hard because I have mixed feelings (and the venue wedding coordinator is on these boards).  I had a great time at my reception, the building is modern and lovely, the Hyatt was right next door, but there were definitely issues (many of which I found out from my wedding coordinator after the wedding).  It basically came down to the fact that weddings are not their regular business and I don’t think they have enough experience doing weddings there yet and haven’t worked out all the kinks.  If I could do it over again, I would go with a venue that is in the wedding business.  Having a wedding at a venue that doesn’t host them as its regular business and having to bring in all of my own vendors came with added stress and issues, and we really didn’t end up saving the money we thought we would by having it at a non-traditional venue.  My wedding coordinator felt that they really put any effort in (or cared) to make sure the day went smoothly.  It would have been a disaster if I didn’t have my own wedding coordinator.  Anyone who already has a wedding booked there, definitely hire a separate day-of coordinator.  

Catering and wait staff: Roche Brothers/Simply Serving  A/B-
    I used Roche Bros out of Burlington and worked with Brian.  He was great and on top of everything.  The food was great and the whole process of picking a menu, making changes, etc. was simple with Brian in charge.  They use Simply Serving as their wait staff and they were punctual, but my coordinator said that the wait staff needed a lot of direction, contrary to what their manager said, and wasted time on unimportant things.  Also, one of the servers made a rude comment to my aunt.  However, the bartender was phenomenal. 

Alcohol: Kappy’s  A-
    We served beer, wine and champagne.  Kappy’s beer prices were well below the rest of the quotes I received, and the champagne was about $2 cheaper/bottle than the others as well.  They did deliver the white wine and champagne warm and it took them a month to charge my credit card, which was annoying. 

Linens, China, etc: Festive Occasions A
    They worked with the venue to set up pick up and drop off times so it was effortless on my part.  Quality of china was great, the linens were clean and ironed…no complaints. 

Flowers: Sandy Tannozzini A++
    A friend of the family recommended Sandy to me and I am so thankful she did.  Our bouquets and centerpieces were amazing!  They were everything I hoped they would be.  I had tall vases for the centerpieces and a beach theme, and Sandy put fish and shells in the vases which were a hit!  The flowers were the most complimented thing at the wedding.  People were literally stealing centerpieces from people who won them.  My photographer even took her card because he liked her work so much.  sandraft@aol.com  

Makeup: Makeup by Brea  A++
    I just love Brea.  She did an amazing job, and made me look like a rock star!  I don’t normally wear too much makeup so it was a fun change and the pictures came out great.  I have blue eyes and they popped in every picture.  Love love love her. 

Hair: Salon Vanessa, Malden  A++
    We got ready at my sister’s house in Malden, so we wanted a salon that was convenient to her place.  I had a trial so I knew my hair would look great, but I was extremely happy with the fantastic job they did on my bridesmaids as well without a trial and little direction.  They were quick but thorough and got us in and out in plenty of time.  We all received a ton of compliments on our hair.   

Limo: Boston Chauffeur  A
    Nothing but good things.  Cars were nice, they were on time, navigated Tufts campus without issue.  Both our drivers were excellent and professional.  My husband left all of the boutonnières at the hotel, so the driver went back and picked them up for him and got them back before the ceremony. 

Photographer: Arc Weddings  A
    Mark is so nice and did a wonderful job.  I just received my proof book and the pictures are great.  The formal pictures were really grueling for me because I was starving and my lower back started to hurt, so he made people move as quickly, yet politely as he could.  He also made sure I stayed hydrated and took breaks.  I did want more candid shots of me and my husband, but we were pressed for. 

DJ: Good Vibes DJ  A+
    Rich and Dean were awesome.  They are based out of Medford and have been in the business for over 20 years.  They played everything I asked them to, and everything I left up to them was perfect.  They were a lot of fun, didn’t play or say anything corny, and had people on the dance floor all day.  They made it look easy and were very reasonably priced.  goodvibesdj@comcast.net  

Bus: Eastern Bus Company A
    We rented a school bus to shuttle our guests from the hotel to the chapel.  Everything went smoothly and they only charge like $60/hr.  Was well worth it for us since so many of our guests were from out of town. 

Tuxes:  Men’s Wearhouse A
    Standard, fine.  DH’s vest was a little big and Best Man’s shoes were 2 sizes too small but they fixed it. 

Alterations:  Chris O’Hare A
    I spent $125 on my alterations…need I say more?  Okay, a little more.  My alterations were pretty basic, except my bustle.  English and French would not work so she worked hard on making a unique bustle.  She’s such a sweetie! Only issue was she doesn’t clean/press the dresses, so I had to go about that on my own. 

Other stuff – got my dress at Filenes, wore my mom’s veil, a friend made our cake (cupcake tower), printed my own invitations, shoes from DSW for $29…I think that’s it.  Wooohooo!  Wish I could relive the day!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: My June Wedding Review - Finally

Congrats, dkb!!  Sounds like a stellar day.  Blessings on your marriage.

Btw, I'd have given Kappy's a C (average) for delivering the white wine and champagne WARM.  A-?  Excellent, just short of perfect?  Maybe it didn't bug you as much as it would have me. :)  Warm whites?  Yuck.  How did they even open warm champagne without it exploding?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Congrats dkb, sounds like you had a great day.  I'm so happy you actually had good weather that day...you really lucked out!!!

We also picked a venue that requires us to bring in all our own vendors (except for the booze).  You're so right; it definitely adds a lot of stress.  We're happy we were able to do it, since FI had his heart set on one specific caterer, but it's been more work for us than a package deal would have been.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: My June Wedding Review - Finally:
    Congrats, dkb!!  Sounds like a stellar day.  Blessings on your marriage. Btw, I'd have given Kappy's a C (average) for delivering the white wine and champagne WARM.  A-?  Excellent, just short of perfect?  Maybe it didn't bug you as much as i twoud have me. :)  Warm whites?  Yuck.  How did they even open warm champagne without it exploding?
    Posted by kargiver

Good point.  I guess because I didn't have to physically deal with it I was more generous.  The waitstaff had about an hour to ice it, so it was cold enough by the time they served it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I thought Brea was amazing too! :)  Sorry for the venue/catering trouble.  A non-traditional wedding venue definitely sounds like a big project.  I realized as went through the whole planning process the crazy number of minutiae that our venue was going to need to coordinate for the wedding to go off smoothly...  There's definitely more to it than one might initially think of!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: My June Wedding Review - Finally : Good point.  I guess because I didn't have to physically deal with it I was more generous.  The waitstaff had about an hour to ice it, so it was cold enough by the time they served it.
    Posted by dkb6248

That's a relief; at least they didn't have to serve it warm!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Congrats!!  I'm so glad you had a nice weather day!  I'm sorry you had some venue troubles but so glad you had a responsible, caring wedding coordinator to deal with the issues - it says a lot that you didn't know about some of them until after the wedding!  Probably your guests didn't suspect a thing.

Thanks for the reviews!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreporter. Show bostonreporter's posts

Hi! Regarding this bit:

Reception: Springstep, Medford MA  B-
    My original review was way too long, so if you want more details let me know.  This review is hard because I have mixed feelings (and the venue wedding coordinator is on these boards).  I had a great time at my reception, the building is modern and lovely, the Hyatt was right next door, but there were definitely issues (many of which I found out from my wedding coordinator after the wedding).  It basically came down to the fact that weddings are not their regular business and I don’t think they have enough experience doing weddings there yet and haven’t worked out all the kinks.  If I could do it over again, I would go with a venue that is in the wedding business.  Having a wedding at a venue that doesn’t host them as its regular business and having to bring in all of my own vendors came with added stress and issues, and we really didn’t end up saving the money we thought we would by having it at a non-traditional venue.  My wedding coordinator felt that they really put any effort in (or cared) to make sure the day went smoothly.  It would have been a disaster if I didn’t have my own wedding coordinator.  Anyone who already has a wedding booked there, definitely hire a separate day-of coordinator.

I'm getting married there on Oct. 23 and when I read this I freaked out a little.
    Can you be more specific about what went wrong? We went with Green Olive, one of the caterers they recommend who is extremely familiar with the place so I'm not very worried about that. But if there are any other issues we should consider, I'd love some details!
    One major concern is the lighting in the Hawkins room, which I found really bright and unflattering when I went to a wedding there at night to check it out.
    Was that an issue at all? Thanks sooo much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

bostonreporter - I just tried to private message you but I had to request your friendship.  Will you send me a private message and I will respond in full detail?  I'll send you my original, overly detailed reveiw that is way too long to post here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

dkb, sounds like you had a great day and even better that you really didn't know anything was wrong until after the fact - that was very considerate of your coordinator. :-) congrats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

yay dkb, congrats! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Hi dkb - Glad your day was great & I'm so happy for you that you had a coordinator to smooth it all out!  Sounds like she was gold - maybe you could review & give her info for other brides planning?

Congrats!!! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Hi dkb - Glad your day was great & I'm so happy for you that you had a coordinator to smooth it all out!  Sounds like she was gold - maybe you could review & give her info for other brides planning? Congrats!!! :)
    Posted by tibird

She actually a client even coordinator for the company I work with and did it as a gift for me (she's been in my life since I was a baby - went to High School with my parents).  So right now she doesn't do weddings, but I think she may be starting to consider it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Ooh - I just happened to see your post so peeked at the pics (hope you don't mind) - gorgeous!!  I love your dress - so unique!  And the veil is beautiful.  You just look glowy all around!  You and DH look very happy. :)  Thanks for sharing!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I saw them! GORGEOUS! You can take the link down now :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

P.S. Your dress is so unique and beautiful :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

You guys look so happy.  I am glad the day went well overall and congrats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Heeeeey you used to have a different name on here didn't you!!!

Gorgeous pics.  I love your dress and those cupcakes look ridiculously delicious!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

dkb your pictures are beautiful!  Quite possibly the happiest looking bride I've ever seen!  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Heeeeey you used to have a different name on here didn't you!!! Gorgeous pics.  I love your dress and those cupcakes look ridiculously delicious!
    Posted by framerican51008

hehe I did, but I only changed it because one of my vendors was on here and figured out it was me, and I didn't really like that.

Thanks for all the compliments ladies!  It was a very happy fun day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

LOL kmt!  You're killing me with your avatars!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

LOL kmt!  You're killing me with your avatars!
    Posted by dkb6248

Hahaha, glad you like them!  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: My June Wedding Review - Finally : hehe I did, but I only changed it because one of my vendors was on here and figured out it was me, and I didn't really like that. Thanks for all the compliments ladies!  It was a very happy fun day!
    Posted by dkb6248

It is my worst fear that people will figure out who I am... as I post pictures of me in my avatar lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I got married the same day as you and also used Makeup by Brea!
    She was phenomenal and must have had a long day, lo, she was at my hotel by 1 oclock!

I totally agree on the weather - could we have been any luckier???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I got married the same day as you and also used Makeup by Brea! She was phenomenal and must have had a long day, lo, she was at my hotel by 1 oclock! I totally agree on the weather - could we have been any luckier???
    Posted by ilovebeagles

I remember talking to you a long time ago about how we were both using Brea and had the same wedding day!   Yeah, she did my makeup at 9am...she had a busy day.

We were so lucky!  Congrats!  Did you already post your reviews? 

Sections
Shortcuts