Need a Budget Photographer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Need a Budget Photographer

Hi Guys!  I need to start realistically looking for a wedding photographer and I need advice!  I’m looking for a package that includes at least 6 hrs of photography, engagement session and printing rights to all the photos.  I’d prefer 2 photographers, but that might be pushing it.  We are on a budget, but I really want a good photographer.  I’ll like to keep it around $2000, maybe $2500 max.  We like the photojournalistic style but we also want some nice formals of us (since we have none!).  I’m horrible in pictures (tend to make stupid faces), so I’m hoping we can find someone who will tell me what to do to get some good photos.  Please recommend your favorite photographer!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chels51. Show chels51's posts

Re: Need a Budget Photographer

I'd like to recommend my photographer.  We haven't had our wedding yet, but so far she's been great.  Her name is Kelly Griffith of Closed Circle photography.  www.closedcirclephoto.com

Her packages are pretty reasonable (at least I thought so).  We are paying $2000 for 6 hours and it includes an engagement session. 
    Good luck! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

When I was first researching photographers for my wedding, I came across Matt Flynn Photography. I really liked his style and thought his prices were reasonable. I don't have any experience with him because we ended up having a family friend do our wedding photos, but I'm pretty sure I found him here on these boards.

Matt Flynn Photography
    http://mattflynnphotography.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My brother recently used Roland Video and Photo Services.  I haven't seen photos yet, but the pricing is up your alley.

www.rolandvideoandphoto.com
    www.rolandvideoandphoto.blogspot.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

We used Peter Wasylak and love how our pictures came out.  His packages are customizable though right in your price range or less.  He travels and will be there when you want him and stay until the end, no set time limit.  He had quite a few pictures up for us the day after the wedding and all proofs up online with a few days.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

trex, I can't recommend a photog, but I can give you advice about posing for pictures.  You know how when you remenisce about a favorite experience you smile automatically?  That's your real smile, not your photo smile.  Literally go to your happy place before every shot.  It can be from your childhood, a cute moment with your pet, whatever makes you actually smile without trying.  Don't just think of it in a superficial way, really dig into your imagination and relive it at the time the photo is being taken.  GO there in your mind, and your natural smiling expression will happen. 

As easy as this might sound, practice before your wedding day; have your fiance take your photo and look at each one after each shot so you know what kind of thoughts produce the best smiles/expressions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladydyanbride2009. Show ladydyanbride2009's posts

highly highly recommend John LoConte johnlophoto.com he is awesome to work with and very reasonable with his prices! he gets a lot of raves and is awesome with his emailing... worth a meeting IMO! :) gl

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Definitely look into Kevin Jacobus  www.kevinjacobusphoto.com He did my daughter's wedding - great to work with, will work with you on budget and his work is awesome.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Trex! I haven't been around as much... did you book your venue and date?!?

Although we haven't worked with our photographer yet, I am really excited to. Her name is Helen Makadia. I'm pretty sure we have her for 8 hours for $1,800. It includes digital photos with printing rights & website hosting for guests. She does engagement sessions but it's not included in our package. We were REALLY impressed when we met her compared to other photographers. She is very professional and has great products available. She can also bring another photographer if you want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from giulscat. Show giulscat's posts

I'm using M2 Studios and I'm so excited.  Lisa and Catherine (sisters) are awesome and friendly.  Samples of their work were top notch.  And, they have a very robust package for $2k.

http://www.m2studiosphoto.com/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Trex, I'm telling you, use Keith Berry...you get UNLIMTED TIME for $2,000, rights to the pictures, and he is amazing!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I second Keith Berry and if he is booked try Photographybymediaconcepts.com  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Michael Goderre at Island Road Images
    He's fabulous, photojournalism but with a great eye for getting the formals done beautifully (I've seen too many photojournalist websites with trees sticking out of bridesmaids' heads in the formal shots!)

But the bottom line - I think you'll
    a) be so happy on your wedding day that the smile will be truly real and you'll look great
    b) choose a photographer that you feel comfortable with, which then makes all the difference.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I can definitely recommend my own wedding photographer - Anthony Tieuli.  He's about $2500 (inc. engagement) if I recall correctly, but that was in 2007.

www.anthonytieuli.com

Message me if you want to see our pics and I can send you a link.  His fee is for the entire day and you get a DVD with high resolution files.  We just loved his style, it's photojournalistic.  He's super nice and funny but also low key.   My DH and I thought he was great because we had many relatives from overseas that weren't able to attend but with the photos they really got a vivid picture of what the day was like. 

I'd also recommend doing an engagement shoot with whatever photographer you choose so you can make sure you feel comfortable with them and you come out well in the photos.  My DH was also concerned about looking bad because he hates being photographed and is as pale as a ghost!  He looks great in the photos though - just like he looks to me :)

Another option -  a friend of mine is trying to break into the business.  She's done photography FOREVER as a hobby and has just recently gone professional.  She's done one wedding so far, and the photos were stunning.  She's got a great eye!  Her website is:

http://sidneychang.blogspot.com/

Since she's new, she'd probably give you a pretty low price. 

Good luck!  My experience was that the right photographer was very hard to find, so do a lot of research and be patient.  I must've contacted 20 or so and asked each for a gallery of one full wedding.  Then I was able to narrow it down and met with 3 and right away DH and I knew who to choose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Trex, I did use Matt Flynn [recommended by a PP] and he was phenomenol.  We got a midrange priced package in 2006 and it was def. in your pricerange.  I don't know what his prices are now. He brings an assistant, so you do get 2 photographers. I loved my photos and loved what I got.  We got bound proof books [essentially what you'd put together yourself if you were doing your own album-I was expecting a box of loose photos so I was really taken w/ the bound books that came.  lol], DVD of all the proofs, a gorgeous album and a variety of loose, frameable pictures [they vary in size from 12x14 to 8x5].  You also get online hosting of your photos for 6 months.

He was so easy to work with and was very friendly, as was his assistant.  I think we paid around $2300 for the whole kit and kaboodle.  Def. check him out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi Trex,

You know that I'm using Kjeldm and Melissa Mahoney and I would highly recommend them but recently I saw some pictures from Molly Bergeron.  One of my friends used her and I've talked with her recently on some other items.  She is a little newer to the business so her prices are great and she is a sweetheart!  Check out her website:  http://www.mollyannesphotos.com/
    She may be more in line with your budget and her work looks wonderful!!! 

Good luck and keep us posted who you end up using! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I second Peter Wasylak

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunrise996. Show sunrise996's posts

We hired Blush Photo in natick...and we couldn't be happier. We LOVED her photos on her website....no cheesy poses, just a real candid style...def. photojournalistic. She has packages that include unlimited photos on cd and engagement sessions. what is your date? She told us that she's almost all booked in October of 2010!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Hi trex!  I can relate - Not having a wedding photog booked yet is my biggest source of stress at the moment.  And there are almost TOO many options - I don't have time to meet with tons of people.  I am also on a budget (since we're paying ourselves the same year as we buy a new house, yikes!).  I was thinking of going with Keith Berry based on reccommendations from these boards and then I waited too long and now I think he is booked on my date.  Argh!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Twinklie,

Seriously, we are like wedding twins.  We bought our house this year, which put our wedding off until next year!  And we are also paying for the wedding ourselves (eep!).  It is good though to do both at a similar time, it helped us with priorities.  More money for a nice house that we will live in forever, trying to be more budget on the wedding which is just one day (although we're still spending WAY too much!).

We are close to booking our photographer!  She was recommended by a friend of FI's and her work is amazing!!!  She is more than we wanted to spend, but after looking at over 25 websites and meeting with a few photogs, I keep coming back to hers.  And she is a sweetheart too.  I don't want to post her yet (since we don't have a signed contract) but if you are intersted, I can email you her blog.  I'm pretty sure she isn't booked on your date but she is more than Keith Berry, I think she starts at around $3K.  Send me a message or post your email address if you are interested!  Otherwise, I also have a list of like 25 photogs I looked at if you would like it, I can also email that to you!

Good luck!  The photos are so important, we splurged on it.  I will be SO happy when she is officially booked!

PS. I added you as a friend so you can send me a message.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flyme81. Show Flyme81's posts

Hello,
          I am using www.photographyyourway.com I hired them because I'm having 272 guests and I wanted total coverage.  All his packages have 2 photographers at no extra charge.  He did my sisters wedding last year.The shots were great.  I went with 2 photographers for the full day for only $1200. Tell him Marcia sent you.  :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hclifford81. Show hclifford81's posts

Try Jessica Fineran.  We paid 2K for enagagement photos, 25 prints, all our photos on a CD, 2 11 x 14's and an album.  Her packages are customizable, so don't feel like you have to choose one of them.  She also charged no travel fee to the Cape.  She has a website (www.jfineranphotography) and she's on facebook.  She's one of the nicest people I have met, and also a fun photographer!  I almost forgot, the pics are amazing!

Sections
Shortcuts