NEED ADVICE- PHOTOGRAPHY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: NEED ADVICE- PHOTOGRAPHY

So sorry you are disappointed and things aren't as you expected, but look at your contract's fine print to find out if you have a case.  (In the old days of film you only got what you chose to have printed.)  I'm betting what you paid for was his time/services plus whatever photo packages you signed up for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Oct - double check your contract, and then check it again. Does it say they will provide you will copies of ALL negatives? It is not standard practice for many photogrpahers to provide you with all the negatives (digital or otherwise) of every photo they took.  They may give you the negatives, "un-logo'd" of the pictures that you purchased/were included in your package.

Sorry...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

A year???? Ugh. 
    Check your contract to see if you have a shared copyright. If so, he/she needs to provide you with a disc with no logos. If not, chances are you will have to purchase non-logo photos from them. Do you get a print credit in your price? 

Also, just ask. Maybe they gave you the wrong disc, or burned it wrong or some mistake on their part. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Really?  How big is this watermark?  If it obscures the photo, that's ridiculous.  Are you sure your contract stated you would get digital negatives?  Our contract gets us digital negatives with a personal print release (that means we can use the photos however we like personally, like prints, albums, cards, etc but we can't use them for any commercial purpose, like magazine, etc).  For our engagement photos we got a disk with no watermarks.

Just make sure you paid for digital negatives.  Some photographers offer that as a separate charge, which can be a lot (like $1000 or more, afterall this is their product).  For instance, one photog we looked at had a package for like $1800 without dig negatives, but $3000 with them.  So I guess I'm a little curious how much you paid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Honestly, I don't know.  Even though I thought we did, I'm willing to pay for it or I'm hoping to get a contract signed that will transfer the copyrights to us after a certain time period. I don't understand why photographers need to own someone's wedding pictures for the length of time a copyright law covers them for. It's kind of sad to me.

It doesn't obscure the picture, however, I feel like it draws my eye to it in every picture. And, I don't want to just "crop it out" some of the pictures you can't even do that without ruining the picture.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Negatives have always been the property of the photographer, but I'm sorry you found out the hard way.  How disappointing!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'd talk to the photographer again.  As Kar said, the photog owning the photos is not new, but there are still some things you can do:

1)  ask how much they would charge to give you all the photos without watermarks.  This may be cost-prohibitive.

2)  if you want specific prints or an album without the watermarks, see if you can buy them through the photographer.  Of course this will cost you more than if you could print them yourself (but this was always the case with film as well).

If you can't do either of these things, you might be stuck with either cropping them out or just living with them.  At least you have all the photos!  I bet if you try not to pay attention to it, it might not bother you as much as you think it does. (Then again, I haven't seen it so I could be wrong!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't recall how our contract was worded, but we got a CD with all of our photos without a watermark.  (I'm sure she weeded some out, but it's all the photos she posted in the online gallery.) 
    I have never heard of someone having a watermark on their photos.  I would definitely look at your contract and let the photographer know it isn't what you expected.
    I have heard of photo places asking for proof that you have permission to reprint wedding photos, however.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It sounds like maybe the digital images without watermark weren't part of your contract... this used to be a lot more common (it was the norm for the watermark to be there - it meant you had to go through the photog to get prints), but these days many couples want negatives and not prints, so many photographers are very clear up front about exactly what the packages include.  I'm sorry your photographer wasn't very explicit about this.

You can tell by looking at your contract, but you might also consider the amount you were charged.  As Trex said, if you paid around $1000 total, chances are that cost did *not* include digital negatives without watermarks.  Most photographers that I researched who included digital negatives charged more than $2500 total. 

But, as everyone said, you should still be able to get the negatives you want (after all, there has to be a way for the photog to remove the watermark if you were to order prints/albums!) - you just might have to pay for them.

Good luck!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

I paid over $3000 for my wedding "package". It only included 1 8X10 print, 2 5X7 prints and an album of a certain amount of pages. In the wording it says a CD of your images. I am searching hi and lo for my contract and I KNOW it said CD of your images, which is why I thought our package was so expensive. If it takes us to come to some finiancial figure to get our images than I'm willing to do that. I really don't care what it takes. I want my digital negatives without the copyright on the front of the picture. I have no other pictures from my wedding day. I didn't bring a camera, neither did my husband, not my parents, not my dad who is a photographer..numerous attempts asking people to email us their pictures through shutterfly or snapfish and we haven't had any responses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I'd be more concerned that it took this photographer almost a year to give you this disk. It sounds like the disc is the "proofs" because proofs to have a watermark. Have you contacted the photographer to ask if you are getting a second disk without the watermark? It may be a simple communication error. I personally think for $3000, with what little you got, you should have a shared copyright. You could also look on the photographers website to see how they advertise their service, (it it says "shared copyright" or whatever) but hopefully you also find your contract.  If it took them almost a year to give you that disk, you better order your album so you get it before your 5 year anniversary. Don't forget to post a review here, so others know what is going on...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That is a good point, Summer.  The photos on my CD are not touched up. 
    It's possible the photographer cropped a few or fixed some lighting... but given her track record I doubt it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kendrasbigday. Show kendrasbigday's posts

You waited a long time for your photos!  Let your photographer know (you probably already have) that you misunderstood the contract and you would like to have the logo removed from all of the photos.  Maybe he or she will do it for free (that would be the smart and kind thing to do) or charge you a small fee.  I used M2 in Somerville and got everything in 4 weeks, no logos, and retouched.  After waiting a whole year, your photographer should really work with you on this problem.  Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ation4409. Show Ation4409's posts

That is such crap.  I'd make a huge stink and threaten to trash them online.  No photographer should ruin your wedding pictures with their logo.  Demand the originals and don't listen to any of this crap about copyright.  Their images of you.  It's not like an Ansel Adams of a landscape that could be sold to National Geographic or anything.  Give me a break!

This is why everyone searching for a photographer should know to ask these questins and be well informed.  Find a photographer that has as few restrictions as possible who gives the same resolution images as they use without any restrictions, logo's or watermarks.  I think it's very rude of a photographer to think branding his name is more important than the image itself.

Oh, and if they say these are not "touched up", that's a bunch of crap.  A good photographer doesn't have to "touch up" much.  It should be good when it's shot.  They're just trying to force you into purchasing more after the wedding by getting them through them and not from the disc they give you.  The promise a disc up front to get the contract signed, then screw you like this.  FUTURE BRIDES, DO YOUR RESEARCH AND ASK TOUGH QUESTIONS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from copyright. Show copyright's posts

Simple answer: In the U.S., the photographer retains the copyright unless it has been transferred to the model/client/Bride in writing.

In the field of wedding photography, copyright is a form of legal protection that wedding photographers have on their images, layouts, designs and other artistic works.  This protection grants them the exclusive right to reproduce or display their images, or authorize others to do so. A photographer is granted copyright at the time the product is created.  Copyright does not need to be claimed or registered to belong to the photographer, nor does a notice of copyright need to be present for copyright to be in effect.  Copyright is in effect for 70 years after the life of the author (in this case, the photographer).  It‘s illegal to violate any of the rights held by the owner of the copyright.  It‘s not necessary to obtain a transfer of the copyright to reproduce the images; a reproduction release will serve this purpose.  Transfer and reproduction releases need to be put in writing and signed by the photographer

Many brides mistakenly think images they paid the photographer to shoot belongs to them. A model(bride & groom in this case) has control over the use of her likeness but not the use of the photographs. A photographer has control over the use of the photographs but not the use of the model’s likeness so both the photographer and the model’s authorization are required for most commercial use.

Copyright or Watermark?

A copyright on the photo is common and was almost always used in “the old days of film” by  professional photographers. The copyright is located in a corner of the photograph and typically very small. If it is large and in the center of the photograph cover most of the images then that would be a watermark (used to prevent duplication). Check you contract carefully. The law is typically on the side of the photographer when it comes to copyrights.

On a side note. Ation4409 gave you horrible advice. This poster is grossly ignorant of this subject. Do NOT threaten, trash them online, demand, or ignore the copyright laws.

Unfortunately with the explosion of amateur photographers posing as professionals there is a lot of misinformation on the internet. Many of the “weekend warriors” will practically give there services away not knowing any better. Future brides do your homework, meet with several and be prepared to ask the right questions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: NEED ADVICE- PHOTOGRAPHY:
    That is such crap.  I'd make a huge stink and threaten to trash them online.  No photographer should ruin your wedding pictures with their logo.  Demand the originals and don't listen to any of this crap about copyright.  Their images of you.  It's not like an Ansel Adams of a landscape that could be sold to National Geographic or anything.  Give me a break!
    Posted by Ation4409

I have to agree with Copyright.  Ation is giving bad advice.   A lot of brides think that they should own the images since they are images of you, but that is not the case.  It was never true with film and it won't change with digital for professional photogs.  You have to check your contract as to whether you paid for the digital images (with a personal print release) and minus logo or not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree - do NOT trash them online for doing what is totally correct.  If you didn't read or understand the contract that is not their fault, and you can wreck a good business by posting an unfair negative review.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MayinNH. Show MayinNH's posts

I am following this thread with great interest since we are currently researching photographers for our son's June wedding.
    Although, the advice/suggestions/tips were intended for the OP, I have learned some invaluable information which will certainly assist us as we go through this process.
    Thanks!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sf792. Show sf792's posts

I am also following this thread because I am looking for a photographer for my wedding this fall.

Can anyone tell me some more information about the digital prints and the discs? One of the photographers I'm interested in offers a variety of packages, but most charge an additional $500 for images on disc, which seems like a lot, but might be standard.

When a photographer gives you online proofing and ordering, I assume the only way to order prints is through the photograher. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you get a disc, can you print them yourself? Obviously, I'd order an album and prints from my photographer, but I'm just trying to understand what each of the options entails and what the value of the disc is.

Thank you for any advice!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck, May and sf!

sf, your questions are good, but they depend on the photog.  Be sure to read and understand the contract.  Ask for clarification if anything is unclear - it's their job to make sure you know what you are paying for.  So many brides have come back to the boards very angry with their photographer only to find out after further investigation that they signed a contract for exactly what they got.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: NEED ADVICE- PHOTOGRAPHY:
    I am also following this thread because I am looking for a photographer for my wedding this fall. Can anyone tell me some more information about the digital prints and the discs? One of the photographers I'm interested in offers a variety of packages, but most charge an additional $500 for images on disc, which seems like a lot, but might be standard. When a photographer gives you online proofing and ordering, I assume the only way to order prints is through the photograher. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you get a disc, can you print them yourself? Obviously, I'd order an album and prints from my photographer, but I'm just trying to understand what each of the options entails and what the value of the disc is. Thank you for any advice!
    Posted by sf792

The best thing to do, as Kar said, is to ask these questions specifically from any photographer you are interviewing.  Photographers seem to be going 2 ways now:  either they include the dig negatives in all packages (but prices tend to start higher) or they have it as an option and additional charge ($500 sounds about right).  If you get digital negatives, the photographer should include a personal print release.  This means that you have permission to make prints for personal use only (not commercial).  You want to make sure you get this because some places won't let you make prints if you don't have it and the photos look professional.  If your contract does not give you digital negatives, then you have to order prints through the photographer, which can be expensive.  I personally wanted all our prints on disc, so we made sure any packages we were looking at included that.

Sections
Shortcuts