Online Professional Quality Photo Albums

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

Online Professional Quality Photo Albums

Does anyone have an recommendations?  I did a search online and found a few but was wondering if there is any that anyone has used.  We have the proofs of our photos but need to make an album.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Online Professional Quality Photo Albums

Do you mean the photobooks you can make with digital photos, like Shutterfly, etc?  Or do you have actual photos you want to mount?

If digital, check out this review/roundup:

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/the-great-photo-book-round-up-review-who-makes-the-best-photo-books.html

The author ordered the same book from like 12 different companies and compares them all. 

Personally, I want to do one for our wedding and I plan to use Adoramapix.  I have heard great reviews about them and I like that their albums are actual photo prints (not offset, press printed pages).  They are also real lay-flat pages.  I haven't tried them yet, though, so take with a grain of salt.  :)

PS.  I have used Shutterfly and I like their books for vacations, but they aren't as high end as I want for our wedding album.  I also used Picaboo for our photo guest book and their software was easy to use (which I liked) but when I got the book I was disappointed with how thin the paper was.  It felt cheap and it got very wrinkled from people looking at it at the wedding.  Felt like a cheap magazine page.  I would definitely not recommend Picaboo (Shutterfly's paper is much nicer).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

I'm looking for a mounted album like you would get from the photographer who shot our wedding. We never got an album bc our photographer went out of business and we had to file a claim with the atty general to at least get our photos on a disk.  Ideally I would like to submit the photos I want online and have it printed by the company like a professional photographer would.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I used mypublisher.com, and was thrilled with the results. It was very nice quality. But, that was 4 years ago. I don't know if it's still the same or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We have had great success with Blurb. It is maybe a little one the pricey side (although I'm not really sure what others charge), but the results have been excellent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I'm using Photobook America to make a guest book from our engagement pictures. I bought a Groupon awhile back, so keep an eye out for Groupons or Living Social deals which usually have things like this...

http://www.photobookamerica.com/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Online Professional Quality Photo Albums:
    [QUOTE]Here's a better idea. Buy a printer.  I print photos for work all the time, and I use brand Ep*** for the very best quality.  Get a photo printer that uses 6 colors of ink (it says Claria on the box) and the printer will come with Adobe (R) Impressions software. It should print up to 4800dpi. The software is professional grade and allows you to enhance and otherwise do a lot of tuning up like brightening darkish images.  Because you are starting from pics on a disk, you will NOT improve the resolution of the images at a professional printing shop.  You are limited to the scanner dpi setting that was used on the original negatives.  So either you email the images to someplace or you print them yourself.  Photo printers allow you to use professional photo paper bought from Staples or the like, and you choose which pics to print, how big, and how many.  The end result is as good as any photo that you see in a magazine--if, BIG if, the original pictures were good to start with. In view of the fact that you already "lost" the pics once, I would do it myself. Then you have a perfectly good printer around the house.  In fact if you check the price of OEM cartridges, the printer comes for "free" when it has a full set of cartridges.
    Posted by oldchild[/QUOTE]

it would be a lot more expensive to buy a printer that prints publisher-quality pictures. And even if you do get a printer and print out photos, it can't bind them into a book, you'd still have to use a traditional stick-in-the-photos album.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Having printed albums on blurb and adoramapix,  I will say the quality of blurb books doesn't hold a candle to adoramapix.  Adoramapix is really a cut above the competition in this market, in my experience.

The quality of the photo printing in our adoramapix book is on par with the quality in the album delivered by our professional wedding photographer.  However, the quality of the book itself is lower, and we had to do all the design/layout work ourselves with adoramapix.  So these products are not identical. In particular, while the adoramapix book does have relatively thick, lie-flat pages (good for 2-photo spreads), they are not nearly as thick and heavy as the pages in our professional album.  This makes me think that our professional album will have more durability.  The professional album also has a few "finishing touches" that are different: silver edging on the "rim" of each page, leather binding, etc.

If you truly want exactly the type of album a professional would make, your best bet might be to contact local wedding photographers and ask if they would use your photos to make an album.  Be prepared for that to be expensive.  

If you want really well-printed photos in a quality book, and you don't mind editing the photos and designing the layouts yourself, go with adoramapix.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Online Professional Quality Photo Albums:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking for a mounted album like you would get from the photographer who shot our wedding. We never got an album bc our photographer went out of business and we had to file a claim with the atty general to at least get our photos on a disk.  Ideally I would like to submit the photos I want online and have it printed by the company like a professional photographer would.
    Posted by 1stTimeMom90709[/QUOTE]

Since you have the photos on disk, I honestly think it would be easiest and cheapest to make the album yourself using an online printing company like Adorama or the others recommended.  But it sounds like you don't really want to take the time/effort to lay it all out yourself.  In that case, I'd consider hiring a photographer to make the book for you.  I'd contact them in the off season (winter) and I bet you could pay them to do it all for you.  You can just make them a copy of the disk, so you wouldn't have to part from your photos again.  I'd guess they'd charge a few hundred to do it plus the cost of the album. You could try posting on craigslist and see if any amateur photographers will sort of "bid" to do it for you.

I would NOT buy a printer and print them yourself.  That's a lot of work and expensive and it is NOT the same as photographic prints.  If you want to print the photos yourself, you can upload and have prints made at Adorama as well.  That would be far cheaper and better quality then printing them at home.

PS. That sucks about your photographer going out of business.  Glad you got hte prints!  This happened to a friend of mine 10 years ago and they were lucky to get the negatives at all.  They ended up hiring a new photographer to make their album too.  But it is easier for you since the "negatives" are digital (theirs were actually film!), so you can make a nice album yourself pretty easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I didn’t order albums through my photographer.  I ordered an album online (through Amazon) and I had my photos printed at a local printer in Boston – Colortek by South Station.  They did an excellent job and they were very helpful...they can do the entire album for you if you don’t want to assemble it yourself.  You can upload your photos on their website as well if you know what you want printed.  They also do framed pictures, canvas prints, etc.  Highly recommend if you are in the Boston area.

www.colortek.org/">http://www.colortek.org/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I just printed books for our parents and grandparents through MyPublisher. I was extremely impressed! Also, sign up for their emails because they have sales ALL the time. I chose the "deluxe hardcover", and I think with a sale, we got 2 books for about $50, and the quality was really amazing! The paper is pretty thick, the cover was professional looking, and the printing was really clear. I recommend them 100%!

Also, I've made photobooks through Shutterfly and Kodak online in the past, and MyPublisher just blows them away.