Photo Shoot Wedding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

Photo Shoot Wedding

HI BDC ladies!!!
    my fiancé and i got an interesting proposal from a florist.
    since i have not done this before (had a wedding that is) - i wanted to ask the thoughts and opinions of those who have.
    We have not researched or booked a florist yet, this company was put in contact with us by our photographer. TIA for your help!!!!!!

According to the email from the florist – “Every year we choose a unique venue and work with the most amazing team of wedding professionals to create a stunning wedding.    We’ll design the most amazing décor and flowers for their entire event.  The couple needs to have about $5,000-6,000 for their décor/floral budget.  We ask that they simply cover our wholesale costs.  They end up with the most over the top décor for a fraction of the cost and it becomes this amazing event.  (retail value about $12,000-15,000 in floral decor) We will submit the wedding to Style Me Pretty blog and a wide range of wedding magazines, including Town & Country Weddings, Wedding Style, Southern New England Weddings, Bride & Bloom magazine and so many more! “ Has anyone has this at thier event…or known someone who has??  We are going to give it a shot and meet w/ them…I’m just now sure the right questions to ask or what to be cautious about.  In my experience – sometimes the offer that seems to good usually is… 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Photo Shoot Wedding

Well, if I had the $6000 to put toward flowers I'd research it.  $15,000 worth of flowers for $6k is a great deal.  If they do this every year, they should have a bunch of references and credible proof.  There shouldn't be any reason that information is private.  Ask for names and numbers - it's not medical records you're looking for, it's flowers.

However, flowers were the least of my concerns for the wedding, and we went the minimalist route - we spent about $700 on them total.  I definitely wouldn't have bumped that up to $5 - 6k.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

$6k for flowers is A LOT of flowers.  If you have the cash to burn, go for it, but you can decorate most venues and still have stunning floral arrangements for signifincantly less money. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, $6K is a lot to spend on flowers (we are spending about $900, but it is one of the areas we're trying not to spend a lot on).  If you had that kind of budget in mind already, then I'd proceed cautiously.  It does sound a bit like a scam (are you sure your photographer is reputable and did in fact give this compnay your name?).  I got a LOT of random wedding offers from being at bridal shows and joining theknot.com, etc.  Anyway, sounds like it could be quite amazing, just keep your eyes/ears out for warning signs.

And if you weren't planning a large budget for flowers, I'd stay away.  It isn't worth blowing your budget for a "possible" deal.  There are plenty of florists who will do a wonderful job within your budget.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it's absolutely not worth blowing the budget for, but if you were spending a LOT on flowers, anyway, and they are extremely important to you it's worth checking into. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

as the others have said, if you were planning to spend that much anyways, I'd go for it.
    You want to ask when the photos are being taken and how many photographers will be coming. I assume they'd take them prior to the reception, with the exception of the bouquets & boutts, but that's something to keep in mind.
    If they're using a professional photographer you might want to see if you could use them as well, as it might get you a deal since they'd already be at the same place at the same time. It never hurts to ask.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, great idea, Pinkie!  I think I would have done it if the photographer was thrown in for free even if I didn't care that much about flowers.  Well, actually, I suppose that's in hindsight after our photo debacle so I really don't know what I would have done.

Regardless, it's a great idea to see if you can get the photographer included in the floral price.  You could justify it if you saw it as $4000 for photographer, and $1500 for flowers, right? :) 

I hate our pictures, have I mentioned that? ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Reads and sounds like a scam to me!

If you have that much to spend on flowers, your wedding planner should be the one to book your florist anyway. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't know that it sounds like a scam, but it sounds like you are funding a publicity stunt. It doesn't sound like you have much control over their 'artistic rendering'.  I'd make sure you really like their artistic leanings b/c it really sounds like you are just bankrolling them. 

I'd be kind of be annoyed that my photographer shared my personal information w/ people, too. 

We spent about $1500 on flowers and they were gorgeous.  You can have lovely arrangements for far less than $6k. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We spent $700 and they were really pretty if not prolific.

ETA:  And, I'd expect that participants signed a waiver to allow themselves to be made references.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Holy mother...$6,000 on FLOWERS? You know they die, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

If you have the money, I would check it out and definitely check their references. If they can't give you another bride's contact information, forget them. But it also sounds like they're in control of the design. I wouldn't go through with it if they weren't on board with using the flowers I want, so see if you have a say in the design.

I would just also add that if you weren't already planning on spending a lot of money on flowers/decorations, I wouldn't recommend going through with it. It sounds like you've already booked your photographer, so creating a bundled package might not be an option. Wedding costs can add up fast and if flowers aren't an area that you were planning on spending several thousand dollars on already, you will probably feel guilty increasing your budget by that much. I know I would! That's my advice on every aspect of the wedding - if the price is out of your budget, find a lower cost option.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Photo Shoot Wedding:
    Holy mother...$6,000 on FLOWERS? You know they die, right?
    Posted by Peonie

some people would say the same about a dress you only wear one day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

HI Ladies!
    wow - all the advise you posted is very helpful.  I should clarify a few things.
    1) our photographer did not give our information out directly to the florist w/out emailing us first.  the email i cut and pasted was to our photographer from the florist- then forwarded onto us.  the florist apparently loves our venue, and i think wants to add it to her portfolio.
    2) once we said we would entertain more information - with our permission the photographer provided our info to the florist directly.
    3) the florist did email us her previous photo shoot wedding links for us to view...and i like the suggestion of contacting her former clients as a check point.
    4) we were NOT intending to spend 6K for decor/flowers...more like 3 total. (flowers, corsages, table decorations, candle light, chalkboards, etc). 
    i think it was easy to get caught up in the idea of a photo shoot wedding, and i appreciate the perspective that the budget is the budget and we should not change our priorities of family and friends to spend more on decor.
    We are not willing to go into debt for this wedding - what we can save and spend on the day is it, and it will be great no matter what.

maybe i am asking for trouble - but we have decided to meet w/ the florist for an introduction- who knows she could have some great inspiration for us.  even if we don't do the "photo shoot" wedding, the fact she likes our venue and initial thoughts might lead to just being our florist.

i REALLY appreciate all your feedback ladies!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Good luck!  I hope the meeting goes well.  Who knows, maybe you can talk them down to smaller scale flowers/decorations.  Just don't feel obligated to go through with it and spend the money if you don't want to!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it sounds like you're approaching it in the right way. Good luck!