1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BGraham86. Show BGraham86's posts

Photographers

Has anyone used these photographers? Thanks

Bharat Parmar Photography www.parmarphoto..com

Island Road Images www.islandroadimages.com

Michael J. Charles Photography www.michaeljcharles.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Photographers

Bharat has been reviewed here MANY times over the last five years, and he absolutely gets the highest praise possible for a service provider every single time.  He's hard to book so if he's available and you have the money (he's not the cheapest on the block), book him. 

Of course, I have to say this (sadly) isn't from personal experience, but from what I've read, it's practically imperative to have him if you can.

(We had a "friend" do it - it was complicated)

I can't say I know anything about the other two.

Best wishes!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi BG, I've also heard great things about Bharat - as you know :o)

He was booked for my wedding date, but when I was looking for a photog back in 2007 he was within my price range.  I forget if my max was 3000 or 3500, but either way his prices were reasonable (but could have gone up in 3 years' time).

Bharat recommended Adriano Batti since he was booked on my date, if you are looking for other options as well.

Maybe it's been a while since Island Road Images has been mentioned on here (since the other ladies don't recognize the name so far), but they have gotten many good reviews as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I used Bharat Parmar, and had a good experience with him.  He is a skilled, unobtrusive and experienced photographer.  All of his photos demonstrate good technical mastery of the craft: good light balance, crisp focus, artistic and sensible framing.  He was accommodating and easy to work with, and produced high quality (though pricey) albums for us.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Another photograhper to look at it Jeff Turner. I am using him for my summer 2011 wedding. He is amazing. Many brides have used him on this forum and have nothing but good things to say about him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We used Bharat and loved him!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ation4409. Show Ation4409's posts

We went with Berryphotos and couldn't be happier.  Their images are just breat-taking and their price came in way under what we expected for all that you get in their packages.  Very cool to work with too, very responsive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kendrasbigday. Show kendrasbigday's posts

We used M2 Studios in Somerville.  They were fabulous.  My parents loved them and even my high-maintenance MIL thought they were great. We had met with Bharat too and loved his work as well but decided on M2 in the end.  Our photos are beautiful.  Made me cry when I first saw them!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BGraham86. Show BGraham86's posts

Thanks for all of your input. We are meeting with a photographer this week and I’m making a list of questions to ask. I would appreciate any input on what to ask. For those of you who have already hired a photographer, what questions would your recommend? And if you already had your wedding are there any questions you wished you had asked? - Thanks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Look at his portfolios and imagine yourself in them.  Do you like the backgrounds?  A good photographer can work with less than the best surroundings.  Composition?  Expressions?  Do the smiles look natural?  Yes, part of that is the people themselves, but it's also a reflection of how comfortable they were in front of this particular photographer.  A good photographer can capture anyone appearing naturally happy.

Ask about posed vs. candid shots; some photographers are more skilled with one than the other.  As for what's important to you - decide ahead of time.  Pay attention to this in his portfolios, too.  If you mainly want posed shots with specific family members, and you don't see any of those, maybe those aren't his forte.

Make sure you are 100% clear on what you're getting for the price you're paying.  If it's only 99%, get that 1% cleared up before you sign anything.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ask for access to an online gallery that shows ALL the shots from a recent wedding - not just the best ones that were put in an album.
    When looking at them, really think about whether you would be thrilled if that was your selection of photos.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, i have a huge question list at home.  If I remember tonight I'll try to post it.  Here's what I remember:

• What's included in the package?  Like # of hours, # of photos, digital negatives (or at least a personal print release), album options, etc.
    • Will they bring along an assistant or second shooter?
    • What is their photography style?  Most people think they want photojournalistic, but you usually want the formals to be posed as well.  Make sure they will do that.
    • How do they like to work on the day of?  (Their answer to this question should make you feel confident in their experience/abilities.  If it is vague or they don't know how to answer it, it may mean they are not very experienced).
    • What is the payment schedule?  What is their cancelation policy?  If you have to move the wedding date for any reason, will they apply your deposit to a new date (if they are available)?
    • Album options:  if you are going to get a photographer album make sure they offer flushmount albums.  They are more expensive, but they are real photos mounted to the page (vs. ink jet printouts, which are called press printed).  They should lay flat when opened.  These are much higher quality, but also more expensive.  The press printed albums can also be nice, so ask them to see samples of both. 
    • Ask to see a full gallery of an entire wedding they shot.  They should show this to you.  Anyone can show you an album of their "best" shots, but you want to make sure you get a good idea of what a whole wedding will look like.
    Hmm... I'll try to think of more.

My one piece of advice is to get a feel for how comfortable you are with your photographer.  We only met with 2 in person, but we immediately *loved* #1.  (I did research like 25 diff photogs!)  She was really confident, assertive, but still very nice and she obviously loves what she does.  This totally shows in her work.  The second photographer was pretty good, but very shy, not assertive, and we just didn't feel like we could trust her to do a good job.  After meeting with #2, we *immediately* booked #1.  And based on our engagement photos, we absolutely made the right choice!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

That is a great list, I had a similar one when I was looking. We hired Heather Parker Photography http://www.heatherparker.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BGraham86. Show BGraham86's posts

In Response to Re: Photographers:
    Oh, i have a huge question list at home.  If I remember tonight I'll try to post it.  Here's what I remember: What's included in the package?  Like # of hours, # of photos, digital negatives (or at least a personal print release), album options, etc. Will they bring along an assistant or second shooter? What is their photography style?  Most people think they want photojournalistic, but you usually want the formals to be posed as well.  Make sure they will do that. How do they like to work on the day of?  (Their answer to this question should make you feel confident in their experience/abilities.  If it is vague or they don't know how to answer it, it may mean they are not very experienced). What is the payment schedule?  What is their cancelation policy?  If you have to move the wedding date for any reason, will they apply your deposit to a new date (if they are available)? Album options:  if you are going to get a photographer album make sure they offer flushmount albums.  They are more expensive, but they are real photos mounted to the page (vs. ink jet printouts, which are called press printed).  They should lay flat when opened.  These are much higher quality, but also more expensive.  The press printed albums can also be nice, so ask them to see samples of both.  Ask to see a full gallery of an entire wedding they shot.  They should show this to you.  Anyone can show you an album of their "best" shots, but you want to make sure you get a good idea of what a whole wedding will look like. Hmm... I'll try to think of more. My one piece of advice is to get a feel for how comfortable you are with your photographer.  We only met with 2 in person, but we immediately *loved* #1.  (I did research like 25 diff photogs!)  She was really confident, assertive, but still very nice and she obviously loves what she does.  This totally shows in her work.  The second photographer was pretty good, but very shy, not assertive, and we just didn't feel like we could trust her to do a good job.  After meeting with #2, we *immediately* booked #1.  And based on our engagement photos, we absolutely made the right choice!
    Posted by trex509

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BGraham86. Show BGraham86's posts

In Response to Re: Photographers:
    Oh, i have a huge question list at home.  If I remember tonight I'll try to post it.  Here's what I remember: What's included in the package?  Like # of hours, # of photos, digital negatives (or at least a personal print release), album options, etc. Will they bring along an assistant or second shooter? What is their photography style?  Most people think they want photojournalistic, but you usually want the formals to be posed as well.  Make sure they will do that. How do they like to work on the day of?  (Their answer to this question should make you feel confident in their experience/abilities.  If it is vague or they don't know how to answer it, it may mean they are not very experienced). What is the payment schedule?  What is their cancelation policy?  If you have to move the wedding date for any reason, will they apply your deposit to a new date (if they are available)? Album options:  if you are going to get a photographer album make sure they offer flushmount albums.  They are more expensive, but they are real photos mounted to the page (vs. ink jet printouts, which are called press printed).  They should lay flat when opened.  These are much higher quality, but also more expensive.  The press printed albums can also be nice, so ask them to see samples of both.  Ask to see a full gallery of an entire wedding they shot.  They should show this to you.  Anyone can show you an album of their "best" shots, but you want to make sure you get a good idea of what a whole wedding will look like. Hmm... I'll try to think of more. My one piece of advice is to get a feel for how comfortable you are with your photographer.  We only met with 2 in person, but we immediately *loved* #1.  (I did research like 25 diff photogs!)  She was really confident, assertive, but still very nice and she obviously loves what she does.  This totally shows in her work.  The second photographer was pretty good, but very shy, not assertive, and we just didn't feel like we could trust her to do a good job.  After meeting with #2, we *immediately* booked #1.  And based on our engagement photos, we absolutely made the right choice!
    Posted by trex509

Thanks for the info. It was a great help!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Not sure if you are still looking but we used Corey Fitzgeral (www.coreyfitzgerald.com) and got awesome pictures and an amazing album.  He is a younger guy and prices are fairly reasonable.