Reception Music Recommendations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Reception Music Recommendations

Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on DJs or bands in the Boston area. Also, any advice on what is a reasonable amount to spend on this?
    Thanks!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Re: Reception Music Recommendations

I'm using Clockwork for my wedding in June. I had also considered Shine but they were booked for my date. Their band leader actually recommended Clockwork. I've loved corresponding with the band leader. The band is even learning two songs for us!

The band leader was willing to negotiate with us. I expected to pay $5,000 and they came in much lower than that and then we talked them down 10%. Try to get quotes from other bands and use them as leverage. Also keep in mind that you have to feed them, so you might want to think of that when you're picking a band. I originally was only looking at five piece bands for this reason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

What's "reasonable" is about what you can afford and what makes sense for you.  We had Night Rhythm and they were awesome and worth every penny (to us, anyway!).   We are still getting compliments.  We had several musicians and entertainment industry professionals on our guest list who heaped praise on them.  Many guests asked me how we selected such a fabulous song list for them (we didn't--they just did a great job with the song sequencing and selection).  The best part really is that people danced their hearts out, beginning with hora, continuing between courses at dinner, and staying until the very last song.  (and then asking why the 4-hour dinner & dancing reception was so short!)

For what it's worth, they were in the same ball park (within a couple hundred dollars) of the quotes we got from our top 3 other choices of bands.  I saw the quote they gave you in the other thread. Our quote was less, but we booked them 1 1/2 years ago now, and it was for a Sunday night.  So I wouldn't even know how to compare it...  I suppose that it never hurts to ask though, if you are trying to negotiate.

If it helps, I have also heard raves about Kahootz, Rare Form, Search Party, Men in Black, Modern Manners, and Legit.  Go listen to their websites, get some other quotes, and make sure you hear the band live before you book!  Just trying to generate more ideas for you. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I LOVED the DJ at our wedding - DJ Nato.  All the guests even raved about him (and still do -we got married in Oct).  many people thought I created the entire playlist but I didn't select a single song!  He really gets the floor packed for all ages.  He is not into games or that type of stuff, just plays a great variety of music and really enjoys what he is doing.  At the time, he had a discount rate of $1000 due to the economy.  Most other DJs were about $200-$500 more than that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can pay $1000 - $$$.  We looked at one that would have been about $1800, as I recall, but we ended up having a friend (with experience and the right equipment) do it when he offered to do it as a wedding gift.  I generally don't advocate the friend/vendor route, but I've known this person going on 20 years and knew it wouldn't go wrong.