String Quartet Pricing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I just got the pricing from the people we want to use for our ceremony and cocktail hour. The price seems CRAZY to me.. but I have not really compared prices yet. The group wants $250.00/ hr per person. Meaning my ceremony and cocktail hour would cost 2,000. Is this reasonable? Or way to high? THey are a professional group that plays together from the NE conservatory.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

That seems really high to me. I would keep looking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

String Quartet Pricing

Holy cow! I'm betting you can find some other 4 person group for less. And, in this economy, I'd try to negotiate with them. They may have been able to automatically command that price before the economy went south, but I bet they'll be seeing a dropoff in their bookings if they don't lower their price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaBabe3. Show GinaBabe3's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I am confused. Why would you need them for 8 hours ($2000/$250)? Most ceremony & cocktail hours are 2-3 hours. That would $750 at the most I would think.

I think $250 an hour is pretty reasonble especially since it is 4 people. My cocktail musician is about $200 bucks an hour.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear $250 per musician per hour. Including 20 min before ceremony and the ceremony and the cocktail hour it is about 2 hours total. So each hour is 1,000.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

Gina, she said $250/hour/person.

We're paying $750 for a trio for 2 hours, so that seems like a lot for a quartet. My trio is on the high end of what I've seen out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

[Quote]Holy cow! I'm betting you can find some other 4 person group for less. And, in this economy, I'd try to negotiate with them. They may have been able to automatically command that price before the economy went south, but I bet they'll be seeing a dropoff in their bookings if they don't lower their price.[/Quote]

My thoughts exactly. My dad was told that this was the price you are going to pay for ppl from the NE Consevatory. My friend had a horrible situation booking through just people from Berklee so I want to go with a professional and a group that already works together so that they don't need to meet to practice beforehand.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

[Quote]Gina, she said $250/hour/person.

We're paying $750 for a trio for 2 hours, so that seems like a lot for a quartet. My trio is on the high end of what I've seen out there.[/Quote]

Brighton, I was about to ask you who you are using. However, you're getting married on July 11th right? Same date as me, so that won't work!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I'm using the International String Trio and they are a lot more affordable than that! (They can perform as a quartet upon request.) Here is their website:
    www.slavatolstoy.com/trio

To search generally for musicians, check out gigmasters.com. You can get a good sense of the "going rate" that way. Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

hi there.. we are having a jazz trio for our cocktail hour.. and they are charging $800.00 total.. which I thought was high... but they are also charging for travel... we checked pricing and the good ones are all about the same price!!!

I wish some of our friends could play instruments!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

That price is awful. I don't think that in our current economy, they should "command" such a high price. If I were you, I would search other options. Or, just hire a DJ for the cocktail hour, or play from your ipod. That's totally ridiculous to pay THAT much JUST for cocktail hour. I would say thanks, but no thanks!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

[Quote]I'm using the International String Trio and they are a lot more affordable than that! (They can perform as a quartet upon request.) Here is their website:
    www.slavatolstoy.com/trio

To search generally for musicians, check out gigmasters.com. You can get a good sense of the "going rate" that way. Good luck![/Quote]

Jasmine, what does this string trio charge for about an hour?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

We are hiring them just as a duo to perform for 2 hours for around $550. (I'm not looking at my contract right now, so don't hold me to that to the dollar!) I don't remember the price quotes for the other options--we didn't price an hour, since they are doing both ceremony and cocktail hour for us. I *think* trio pricing for 2 hours of playing time was $750 or so. If it is roughly half that for an hour, I'd ballpark the price at $300-400. You should inquire with them directly though, because like I said, I didn't price the 1 hour only option out with them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

p.s. we are not being charged for travel, but they are a boston-based group and we are getting married locally.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I e-mailed them directly and asked them for a quote for one hour for the three of them at a driving distance of 20 minutes, and they quoted me $600. I don't think so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

sorry about that goodness! just trying to be helpful... it sounds like either their prices have gone up since I booked (almost a year ago) or they charge a lot for travel time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I'm a little late on this, but yes, we are the same date :-) I'm also getting married in CT, so you probably wouldn't use our musicians anyway.

[Quote]

Brighton, I was about to ask you who you are using. However, you're getting married on July 11th right? Same date as me, so that won't work![/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaBabe3. Show GinaBabe3's posts

String Quartet Pricing

Sorry July! I read too fast, That price is INSANE! For a few more bucks you could get a band for the whole night!!

Do they have an agency they work with? Maybe you can try working the price down with them.

I should have been a wedding musician!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I think we might go with the Boston String Quartet, 1/2 the price and they seem to have good reviews!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

String Quartet Pricing

Glad you found a well-reviewed group at a more affordable price ajuly! Sounds promising :). It can definitely pay to comparison shop with all these wedding vendors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

String Quartet Pricing

I think you have to do a lot of research to find a string quartet that is reliable, have gotten good reviews, and that aren't too expensive.

I didn't e-mail them back. Just left it at that. I don't even want to negotiate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GRX2008. Show GRX2008's posts

Re: String Quartet Pricing

usually the second hour is less expensive, negotiate